Mike Francesca blasts greedy NFL for airing Miami at KC game exclusively on Peacock

chongli

4 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

it's over the air in the local markets.  Out of market fans have to stream anyway to get most of the games during the season.  Nearly everyone has "access" to streaming.  Or, you know, a sports bar.  

This just seems like outrage for the sake of outrage.  

Not everyone lives where the team they want to watch plays! And I don’t want to have to order a stupid service for one lousy three hour program. Outrage? You betcha! 

• Like (+1) 1

The greed of the NFL grows by bounds and bounds!

International games - sure why not?

Thursday night after a Sunday - only the players get hurt.

Expansion teams - sure - the player talent pool is getting thinner and thinner.

PSL - Always thought a rip-off

Peacock - Just a camel's nose under the tent.

Leaving scheduled games wide open at season's end. - the fans will show up anyway.

Not enough money to get full time officials - poppycock!

The NFL only understands $$ - the fans be damned.

I gave up on the day Atlanta/New Orleans non-interference happened. (To decide who goes to the SB?)

Edited by Bob Lamb
Repition
  • Like (+1) 1

I happen to have access to Peacock and the $6 monthly fee isn't a big deal for me, but I absolutely agree that this is a bad move by greedy owners.

On top of the fee and challenge to find the game, the Peacock technology is terrible.  I don't know how it works for NFL games, but I tried to watch a college basketball game on Peacock the other night.  I was not able to watch it live, but I couldn't "record" it to my DVR because it was on Peacock.  If you try to tune in before the game is over, your only option is to join it in progress.  You can't start at the beginning.  If you wait until after the game is over, you can watch the "Replay."

YouTubeTV is MUCH better.  You can "record" to your DVR, join live or start at the beginning.  ESPN+, which I use for Sabres games, has many flaws, but at least that also allows you to start a game in progress from the beginning.

Peacock just sucks.  If they're going to charge for a streaming service, at least make the technology good.

Edited by msw2112

It's definitely stupid and agree 100%

I could get if it was amazon exclusive like the TNF games because that's at least a mainstream service but this peacock stuff makes no sense other than a blatant money grab by the NFL and NBC networks.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Speaking of ad revenue, how did we all feel about the 5 minute "review" for the 2-inch pass to Kincaid yesterday near the end of the first half?

Gotta get those commercials in, baby!

More inane and time-consuming micro-officiating that reduces tension, kills momentum and is wrecking this league's viewing experience.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

AND streaming sucks. Don't watch it in a public bar, restaurant... Etc... The lag is hideous! 

Watched Chargers in Nashville BillsBackers and it was a full 2 minutes behind my phone.  Socks if you're getting texts from people OR others in establishment know the outcome, you can see it on their faces.

Anyway... He's right. NFL blows and is greedy!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The commercials were hilarious...celebrating it as the "first time ever".   Why would fans be excited about it?

IKR? This is from the NBC press release, which is hilarious in its gloating"

https://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2024/01/08/nbcuniversal-is-home-to-record-three-nfl-playoff-games-on-super-wild-card-weekend-including-peacocks-presentation-of-nfls-first-ever-exclusive-live-streamed-playoff-game/

"Among the distinctions for NBCUniversal:

NBCU will be the first media company to serve as the home of three NFL Playoff Games in a single weekend (Saturday doubleheader and Sunday in primetime).

Peacock will present thefirst-ever exclusive live streamed NFL Playoff game (Saturday at 8 p.m. ET). This follows Peacock’s first-ever exclusive live stream of a regular season NFL game on Dec. 23 (Bills-Chargers).

Saturday night’s Peacock AFC Wild Card Exclusive – featuring Patrick Mahomes and the defending Super Bowl champion Kansas City Chiefs hosting the Miami Dolphins — will once again feature a commercial-free fourth quarter similar to the Dec. 23 Bills-Chargers game.

[...]

The Peacock exclusive Wild Card game will be broadcast on NBC stations in the competing team cities, and available on mobile devices with NFL+. The NFL is the only sports league that presents all regular-season and postseason games on free, over-the-air television in local markets."

[end quote]

LOL: now is probably not the time to be saying:

"The NFL is the only sports league that presents all regular-season and postseason games on free, over-the-air television in local markets."

I mean, I love the message, hate the messenger.

In particular, I am personally pissed off about the portioning off streaming exclusives. I paid for Sunday Ticket because I wanted a functional, legal way to watch the Bills. I have been able to watch...I think 2-4 games on it this season between prime time exceptions, local broadcast claims, and exclusives.

So the the NFL should be not at all surprised when this game gets pirated to death.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Bob Lamb said:

I gave up on the day Atlanta/New Orleans non-interference happened. (To decide who goes to the SB?)

You mean Rams-New Orleans, but yeah, I get your point.

26 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I'm assuming that there will be local free coverage of the game in Miami and Kansas City, but I think the "greed" accusation is accurate.  I'll just follow the game on NFL.com.

Yes, free local simulcasts on WTVJ (NBC/6) Miami and KSHB (NBC/41) Kansas City.

Edited by chongli

7 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

So the NFL should be not at all surprised when this game gets pirated to death.

The NFL has the NBC rights fee in the bank.   They could not care less about who is pirating the game.  As far as Peacock goes, only they know how many new subscribers come on board, and how many remain after the game is over.  If it is a huge loss for them, they may reconsider going forward.  If not, get ready for more of the same. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.