Wild Card Weekend - Wild Card Weather

The wind is pretty much a given as far as Sunday's game is concerned.  So are temperatures and bitter wind chills.  Lake effect snow is a more complicated issue.  It depends on a number of factors including wind direction and air temperatures aloft as well as at the surface.  The forecast I've seen calls for west southwest winds on Sunday.  I think that is a wind direction that could cause some lake effect, but lake effect bands are fickle.  Sometimes, lake effect bands can be only a few miles wide and meander.  I fully expect that there will be some lake effect snow on Sunday.  I don't think the experts have pinpointed how much snow or whether the snow will be steady or intermittent.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

The wind is pretty much a given as far as Sunday's game is concerned.  So are temperatures and bitter wind chills.  Lake effect snow is a more complicated issue.  It depends on a number of factors including wind direction and air temperatures aloft as well as at the surface.  The forecast I've seen calls for west southwest winds on Sunday.  I think that is a wind direction that could cause some lake effect, but lake effect bands are fickle.  Sometimes, lake effect bands can be only a few miles wide and meander.  I fully expect that there will be some lake effect snow on Sunday.  I don't think the experts have pinpointed how much snow or whether the snow will be steady or intermittent.

Correct, and they won't have a very good handle on it until Fri night or Saturday.  But yes, windy is a given.

"This stadium was not built to keep the wind out. It has an extremely low profile which welcomes in the wind, and it’s extremely easy for the sweeping gusts to reach field level with minimal impediment".

You know, I am going to sound like a sore loser, but this is almost making me not want to watch the game. It's going to complete neuter both sides, but I can already sense a Najee Harris 60 yard run for a TD and that might be all it takes. Cook has been so on and off, and I worry about him fumbling, and I worry about Josh getting desperate and going into hero ball mode. Field goals are out of the question. This sucks. I know we have no control over it, and for that reason I should not let it bother me, but I could see The Steelers sneaking out a victory because it's equalizing both teams, and somehow I feel it will work to their advantage.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 4

Just now, Aimee75 said:

You know, I am going to sound like a sore loser, but this is almost making me not want to watch the game. It's going to complete neuter both sides, but I can already sense a Najee Harris 60 yard run for a TD and that might be all it takes. Cook has been so on and off, and I worry about him fumbling, and I worry about Josh getting desperate and going into hero ball mode. Field goals are out of the question. This sucks. I know we have no control over it, and for that reason I should not let it bother me, but I could see The Steelers sneaking out a victory because it's equalizing both teams, and somehow I feel it will work to their advantage.

Why worry? it can’t change anything,,. And it may not be as bad as you think …

On the positive …Both sides have to play in the same conditions … and the Bills seem a lot tougher this season…

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

On the positive …Both sides have to play in the same conditions … and the Bills seem a lot tougher this season…

I agree. I get mad at myself for worrying, but I always do. I am still scarred by that wind storm game against The Pats.

Just listened to the Don Paul podcast. He said there might be whiteout conditions. Ugh!

Edited by Aimee75
  • Like (+1) 1

In a worst case white out situation the Bills could opt to run Allen to the right, up the middle and to the left on almost every play.  The conditions would make everyone move slower and the risk from injury even if Allen carried the ball 30 times would be significantly lowered.

I also remember growing up in Western NY and getting so excited when the forecast would all for a snowmegedon.  I also remember that more often then not I would be bitterly disappointed when the snow storm failed to appear.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

In a worst case white out situation the Bills could opt to run Allen to the right, up the middle and to the left on almost every play.  The conditions would make everyone move slower and the risk from injury even if Allen carried the ball 30 times would be significantly lowered.

I also remember growing up in Western NY and getting so excited when the forecast would all for a snowmegedon.  I also remember that more often then not I would be bitterly disappointed when the snow storm failed to appear.

I was thinking this as well. If conditions are really bad, there's an advantage to having Josh as a frequent running option as it puts more pressure on the defense.

• Like (+1) 1

Oh, we are worrying about the weather again. Second only to the lame nick-name threads for the latest UDFA who does something in camp.

The only effect the wind will have is on deep throws, as we already know Josh can cut through the wind on the short/intermediate routes. His deep balls have sucked this year, so I’m not too worried about not being able to over/underthrow Diggs by 3 yards a couple times a game.

Wind/snow or not, we know Pitt is going to try and run the ball so we have to have a plan for that no matter what. 

We need to emphasize the quick short passing game, try to run the ball ourselves and play action the ***** out of them. 

W.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Correct, worrying does nothing. Our QB can throw lasers through any wind, while Rudolph throws high arching moon balls which will be neutered by the wind. As long as we continue to play as a unified, dynamic defense and tackle well, and run the ball with intent and purpose, this game is ours to be had.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Steelers are ranked around 25th in nearly every offensive stat ranking for this season. The only category where they don't rank near the bottom as best as I can see is Average Rushing Yards per Game (118 yards, 13th). The Bills in that category rank 7th with 130 yards per game. The Bills are also obviously in the top 5 in almost every other offensive stat category.

The Steelers have the 17th ranked passing defense, and the 19th ranked rushing defense. Keep in mind, those stats also include TJ Watt, who won't be playing. The Bills have the 7th ranked passing defense, and the 15th ranked rushing defense.

On paper, even in garbage conditions, it's really difficult to see the Steelers going above and beyond their usual performances on both sides of the ball, especially with a young quarterback and their star defensive player out.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Aimee75 said:

Jeez man. Why even watch if you’re this scared of a trash Steelers team. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, bobobonators said:

Jeez man. Why even watch if you’re this scared of a trash Steelers team. 

I'm rarely scared of any other team. The Bills are the team that scares me 😄If this game was in better conditions I think The Bills would wipe the floor with them. The weather makes it a little more complicated. Hoping we can get our run game going.

• Eyeroll 1

I would trade with KC in a heartbeat!! We had weather like that for the WC Pats game, and look how we did? The wind is always the issue, and swirling snow is not going to help. I know extreme cold temps are dangerous, but you can prepare for that. I fear the weather we are getting might derail our team, and honestly, derail free agents from wanting to come here. If we lose, we literally do not have home field advantage.

1 hour ago, Aimee75 said:

derail free agents from wanting to come here.

I’m not coming to BUF as a WR. (We forced our QB1 here).  anyone who can’t see that as a business decision is delusional. Serious kudos to Diggs.  

It’s extremely windy in BUF. people just don’t get it. 

Edited by Since1981

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.