What's Wrong With The Passing O?

Donuts and Doritos

They showed it on the telecast today

we are running it effectively since week 11 - changes the targets and the nunbers

josh had some terrible wr drops today so this game was closer than it should have been

LOTS of drops idk what was going on

14 minutes ago, Chugga said:

I just posted in another thread Allen and Diggs are close but aren’t clicking 100%.  In the last two weeks Allen and Diggs are 1-2 yards short or 1-2 yards long on a few throws that would SIGNIFICANTLY alter their final stat totals.

I also think our passing game has suffered with Knox on the field more than Kincaid.

Also NFL coaches get paid a ton of money to figure out how to stop the Bills.  I think the blueprint is to take away Diggs and hope Allen gets bored taking the easy stuff.

And with our skill positions sometimes the “easy stuff” ain’t easy.

I mean, it's why I said Dorsey was a bad fit. His temperament was too much in the same vein of he wants to win with deep passes. This offense finds stuff that works then you'll see 3 deep passes. There was a 3rd and 7 today.. it didn't look like Josh ever looked less than 15 yards downfield.

I'd also love to see the players whomever is catching the ball be brought together in the offseason for extra work. I recall a quote from Josh's QB coach that first year where he went off about why Josh did it and maybe some other guys (Darnold who had the same QB coach and was working out with Josh).. he said that some guys do it and get it right then keep doing it 100 more times and do it every day after that then some get it right and think they've got it and move on..

This team needs to a few hundred more reps in the offseason.

We might be the only team that doesn’t have a RB screen in our tool box. Teams are blitzing Allen up the middle and an effective screen would quickly neutralize that. Teams are also spying on Allen preventing the run and yet it seems our WR’s/TE’s rarely beat their man. We seldom run crossing routes or even roll Josh out to put added pressure on the D.

In a nutshell, I don’t know what our offensive identity is any longer. Do they not have play designs to get Diggs open. The quick passing game is missed and it seems we are back to long developing plays rather than taking the easy stuff to open it up for deeper throws.  

Sherfield and Harty have been bad misses in FA. We have no speed deep threat.

Josh is showing some bad tendencies recently by throwing on the run across his body to the other side of the field. Those throws have been coming up short resulting in TO’s. 

They better figure it out next week against the Dolphins.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Diggs is shot.  It's obvious you can cover him man to man and he doesn't separate anymore.

That’s a bit of a shame … because he is here another year at least on big dollars 

1 minute ago, Drew21PA said:

Come back to me with their record playing the chargers out west 

thank you

He is 1-0 against the Chargers out West 

Your welcome 

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BlazinBill said:

We just need weapons- we keep swinging and missing with mediocre players based off salary cap - need to draft talent period - just need to make sure we hit on that talent

Watching Pickens in the Pittsburgh/Sea game was eye opening. I mean damn, what's it like having receivers with sticky hands that come up with the most outrageous catches? I feel like it's a world we do not understand. Beane needs to stop being so stubborn and getting bargain bin receivers.

7 minutes ago, BlazinBill said:

We just need weapons- we keep swinging and missing with mediocre players based off salary cap - need to draft talent period - just need to make sure we hit on that talent

Watching Pickens in the Pittsburgh/Sea game was eye opening. I mean damn, what's it like having receivers with sticky hands that come up with the most outrageous catches? I feel like it's a world we do not understand. Beane needs to stop being so stubborn and getting bargain bin receivers.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

Do they not have play designs to get Diggs open.

We've never had play designs to get Diggs open. He has done that himself with elite route running. This year he simply doesn't have it. Every passing offense needs someone you can rely on when other things aren't working. We don't have anybody to rely on consistently right now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

20 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He hasn't been double covered since at least the Chiefs game. He is just plain getting swallowed up against single man coverage. At least when he was getting bracketed it was opening other things up. As of right now nothing is getting opened up because no one can win their basic 1v1 assignment.

I would add that on Allen’s deep throwing, he has reverted to line drive bombs that have to be perfectly placed because receivers have NO time to adjust. He is not putting the air under it that he did last season, when he solved his bomb problem. Diggs has been wide open on 3 deep passes in the last couple of weeks but Allen is throwing bullets that have no chance of being caught unless they are perfectly placed — which is damn hard to do on 65-air yard passes.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Uh-oh, what’s Diggs posting now?

Cryptic IG story. I might not have thought too much about it if he didn't look so pissed in the Bills "big dubs" post. I do like that he doesn't tolerate losing or even playing bad, but if you get the win, it helps, and going into a massive game next week, we don't need drama. I just feel like this season he has been teetering on boiling over.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

They showed it on the telecast today

we are running it effectively since week 11 - changes the targets and the nunbers

josh had some terrible wr drops today so this game was closer than it should have been

LOTS of drops idk what was going on

That Murray one stands out - soft pass, right on the hands, would have been a 1st down at mid-field. 

They scored after that. Had we kept going that drive & gotten even a FG - it's a whole different game.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

The problem is we never replaced Beasley, Brown and Sanders.

Sherfield and Harty. Really? 

We have Mr. Butt punt and a guy who changed his last name 

Yeah, there were a lot of fans lauding those two signings. I wasn’t one of them, but I deferred to those who might know more. Guess I shouldn’t have deferred. Woof to both of them 💩

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

Diggs looks hurt. His cuts are rounded off, and has little separation. 

The short passes on the bubble screens are Brady trying to get him an easy one. But that's not really what Diggs does. The rush today, and the quick throw to the left was another example of trying to get him going. The long pass to him over the top today looked like he was running fast, but not sprinting. 

I think he's got a lingering injury where he can go, but can't cut like he could in the early part of the year. 

I believe he is playing with a semi-significant injury.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

I would add that on Allen’s deep throwing, he has reverted to line drive bombs that have to be perfectly placed because receivers have NO time to adjust. He is not putting the air under it that he did last season, when he solved his bomb problem. Diggs has been wide open on 3 deep passes in the last couple of weeks but Allen is throwing bullets that have no chance of being caught unless they are perfectly placed — which is damn hard to do on 65-air yard passes.

Yeah something is going on with his deep passes to Diggs specifically. He hit two to Davis last week and one to Kincaid today. Diggs I think it was the Jaguars in London the last time they connected on a deep pass. Their timing on the whole has been off for a couple months now.

• Like (+1) 1

Josh throws the lowest trajectory, fastest passes in the nfl. I don’t know if this is because he has to (because no one is open) or because it’s all he can do. either way, it’s what it is at this point and the passing offense is going to be streaky until things change. 

• Agree 1

I think it starts with Stefon Diggs.  Either he is:

- Injured and doing a great job of keeping it quiet

- Upset Sean McDermott wasn't the one fired and now giving half-effort 

- Hit the age wall right around his 30th birthday

Not sure the answer, but the guy has been a complete no-show for almost 2 months now.  And I'm quickly losing faith he can get it back this season.  He's not getting open.  He's dropping tons of passes.  And the only stats he's really putting up are when we force-feed him screen passes.  It's absolutely pathetic.  

Without Diggs, we have a rookie Tight End (only going to do so much damage) and the Drop Squad.  The only WR worth bringing back next season is Khalil Shakir.  Everyone else can hit the road.  Totally worthless.

You can only blame Josh Allen so much for the terrible O-Line blocking/protection this afternoon.  And multiple drives were killed by ridiculous drops.  But the boneheaded turnovers have gotten out of control.  All the people who defended him this week and pushed for MVP consideration were dead-wrong.  The guy absolutely has a decision-making problem.  The deep throw into double-coverage was stupid.  And the almost-fumble on the 4th quarter scramble was horrific and easily could have cost us the game.  

I'm still not sold on Joe Brady either.  It takes time for defenses to catch-on to your tendencies, and now opponents are keying onto James Cook.  Good offensive coordinators adapt.  Ken Dorsey started hot, got figured out about mid-season last year, and never figured it out afterwards.  We've now had two straight awful games on offense, and I'm still not seeing a pivot from the booth.  If we can't put-up 30-35+ next week (at least), you can probably kiss the playoffs goodbye.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.