Damar Hamlin as leading candidate for AP NFL Comeback Player of the Year receiving fan blowback

chongli

So Damar is the leading candidate to be the NFL Comeback Player of the Year, to be presented at NFL Honors in February.

Here are the odds from Covers.com from December 26:

A listing from December 20 had Hamlin at more of a lead:

https://www.covers.com/nfl/nfl-comeback-player-of-the-year-betting-odds

Damar Hamlin -750

Tua Tagovailoa +1,200

Baker Mayfield +1,200

Joe Flacco +1,200

Lamar Jackson +2,500

Russell Wilson +3,000

Gardner Minshew +10,000

Jake Browning +15,000

T.J. Watt +15,000

Drew Lock +20,000

Other candidates mentioned were Matt Stafford and Brock Purdy.

Damar is getting a lot of blowback from fans:

A few fans, however, do have common sense, and support Hamlin:

You have to give the award to Hamlin. He literally died on the field, was in a coma, and then comeback and played. Sure, he was inactive a lot and may not be a minor player, but he is an NFL player to date. Flacco and Mayfield played great, but they didn't die! Damar literally came back!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 8
  • Agree 5
  • Dislike 1

By definition, the CPOY Award is given to a player who "shows perseverance in overcoming adversity, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, a severe injury, or simply poor performance."

https://www.nfl.com/news/breaking-down-nfl-comeback-player-of-the-year-race-0ap2000000050179

I'm not being sarcastic but sincere here: is Damar's return to the game a demonstration of his perseverance? Or is it simply a medical science miracle? How much of him being here and where he is performing at (backup player) a sign of his perseverance rather than great science?

I personally don't know. He's alive, and on a pro team but he has no performance to show for, at least at the game level. Is that enough? I don't know but I can see why people think it should be given to a player who is not only back but who has performed at an unexpectedly high level this year.

Is making the roster as a backup a sign of amazing personal perseverance when that player almost died?

Me, personally, it's a wonderful story, but I might be inclined to give it to a player who has performed at a great level in games. I know people will disagree.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 8

13 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

No matter what you think of hamlins talent level

The dude died on the field, has come back to play a game that he died playing

Like how is that not the definition of comeback player of the year

He came back from death

Joe flacco came back from the couch and being a stay at home dad

Do Flaccos dead arms and legs count?

In all seriousness, I totally agree with you.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, mrags said:

No thanks. Should be Flacco or Mayfield. 

That might be unpopular and so will this. He's paid a million per year. Doctors medically cleared him stating he had essentially the same risk as everybody else. How many people would "comeback" to pursue that income? I would guess in the 90%+. If that's the case is what he did deserving of the award?

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

I’d say baker and damar are both very good choices. BOTH are improbable stories.

Different starts and ends. 

One literally came back from the dead and the other off a sofa to playoff in 4 wks. 

You mean Flacco.  I'm not sure if I'd give it to a guy who only played six games.  Mayfield would be my choice if the Bucs make the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

By definition, the CPOY Award is given to a player who "shows perseverance in overcoming adversity, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, a severe injury, or simply poor performance."

https://www.nfl.com/news/breaking-down-nfl-comeback-player-of-the-year-race-0ap2000000050179

I'm not being sarcastic but sincere here: is Damar's return to the game a demonstration of his perseverance? Or is it simply a medical science miracle? How much of him being here and where he is performing at (backup player) a sign of his perseverance rather than great science?

I personally don't know. He's alive, and on a pro team but he has no performance to show for, at least at the game level. Is that enough? I don't know but I can see why people think it should be given to a player who is not only back but who has performed at an unexpectedly high level this year.

Is making the roster as a backup a sign of amazing personal perseverance when that player almost died?

Me, personally, it's a wonderful story, but I might be inclined to give it to a player who has performed at a great level in games. I know people will disagree.

I think it’s the courage to go back out on the football field knowing what happened to you. Never know if it could happen again 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.