Broncos benching Wilson

Dablitzkrieg

17 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

The media and twitter are out with pitchforks over this.  As if no QB or other player has ever been yelled at on the sideline or benched before lol.

list all the QBs who have been benched because the team didn't want to take a chance on paying him out for an injury....

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

list all the QBs who have been benched because the team didn't want to take a chance on paying him out for an injury....

Tyrod Taylor, right here in Buffalo like a few years ago boss.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

15 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Jackson won the MVP this afternoon. I agree, I don’t think he’s the Most Valuable Player.. even on his own team. But beating SF in San Jose and destroying the Dolphins with 300+ and 5 TDs to clinch 1 seed. Yeah, that’s over. 

The Ravens beat the 49ers because of Purdy's meltdown/their defense. Jackson did what he had to do. Would still say Hill or McCaffrey are more deserving of the accolade over the season as a whole. 

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

And I believe that was also part of a mini-tank by the Bills…it improved our draft spot from 15 to 10, which we then traded to KC. And it’s why Terry fired Wrex with one game left.

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

And I believe that was also part of a mini-tank by the Bills…it improved our draft spot from 15 to 10, which we then traded to KC. And it’s why Terry fired Wrex with one game left.

And it had nothing  to do with 'fat brudder' wreaking havoc throughout Southtowns 'Golden Corral Buffets'?  I think not! 🤨

😁

48 minutes ago, HomeTeam said:

Russell speaking with the media. 

But do the Broncos now invest in players, or redo King Payton's gilded executive washroom.

Yes, you're correct.  I don't like him. 🤨

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

I can list one right now... Tyrod Taylor.  Im not about to think about the past years and drum you up a list because my memory is *****.  It happens though.  More than just QBs too. I was more so talking about him being yelled at on the sidelines anyways.

8 hours ago, NoSaint said:

6 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I can list one right now... Tyrod Taylor.  Im not about to think about the past years and drum you up a list because my memory is *****.  It happens though.  More than just QBs too. I was more so talking about him being yelled at on the sidelines anyways.

Taylor was benched for the last game of a lost season when he already had a groin injury that it was speculated would require off season surgery.  He would have surgery and the Bills had him back and he started the following year anyway. 

Broncos season was not lost, Wilson was not injured and the team had initially tried to bench him months ago for the financial risk reason.  Plus he’s not going to be back next year. 

So really nothing like TT and the Bills. 

Who else you got boss?

• Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Taylor was benched for the last game of a lost season when he already had a groin injury that it was speculated would require off season surgery.  He would have surgery and the Bills had him back and he started the following year anyway. 

Broncos season was not lost, Wilson was not injured and the team had initially tried to bench him months ago for the financial risk reason.  Plus he’s not going to be back next year. 

Who else you got boss?

Raiders with Jimmy garrapolo, back in November as the most recent

if you like parallels the raiders with derek carr sitting and Jarrett stidham replacing him just last year?

heck the Denver post did an article on potentially benching Russ because of the guarantee on October 20th

the concept isn’t particularly foreign 

• Agree 1

Yea it isn't like Tyrod. 

With Tyrod the Bills genuinely were maintaining financial leverage over him because they didn't want injury to automatically trigger his option and then a new coach be tied to him for multiple years. This isn't what is happening in Denver. The coach is staying. He is safe as houses. Russell wasn't benched so they could decide what to do next year. He was benched to make sure the cost of cutting him (already significant) didn't escalate any higher. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Who else you got boss?

I thought Rowdy Roddy Piper had passed away but here you are with “when they think they have the answers….I change the questions”.  Welcome back Hot Rod.

10 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Raiders with Jimmy garrapolo, back in November as the most recent

if you like parallels the raiders with derek carr sitting and Jarrett stidham replacing him just last year?

heck the Denver post did an article on potentially benching Russ because of the guarantee on October 20th

the concept isn’t particularly foreign 

The Stidham for Carr I already covered in another post. 

Ditto for The Broncos squeezing Wilson months ago to relinquish the injury clause or get benched (he said no and the NFLPA got the Broncos to back off--see above)--so it's the same issue with the same player and team. 

Jimmy G was benched for cause--they had just fired McDaniels and Garoppolo was playing poorly (he had already missed  games due to an injury and concussion), going 3-3 and 7 TDs on 9 INTS.  He wasn't benched because he refused to remove an injury guarantee from his contract. 

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

I thought Rowdy Roddy Piper had passed away but here you are with “when they think they have the answers….I change the questions”.  Welcome back Hot Rod.

The question hasn't changed.  Tyrod Taylor an Jimmy Garoppolo were the wrong answers, for the obvious reasons (stated).

you probably should stay in your Robert Kraft obsession lane....

3 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

What, you really need a translation?

He's a man of faith and he is ready for whatever path his life takes. 

See Romans 8:28 📖

Ditto for The Broncos squeezing Wilson months ago to relinquish the injury clause or get benched (he said no and the NFLPA got the Broncos to back off--see above)--so it's the same issue with the same player and team. 

Jimmy G was benched for cause--they had just fired McDaniels and Garoppolo was playing poorly (he had already missed  games due to an injury and concussion), going 3-3 and 7 TDs on 9 INTS.  He wasn't benched because he refused to remove an injury guarantee from his contract. 

The question hasn't changed.  Tyrod Taylor an Jimmy Garoppolo were the wrong answers, for the obvious reasons (stated).

You added reasons/parameters to the question after it was answered, such as “broncos season was not lost”.  You asked a question, it got answered, you changed the question.  

1 minute ago, Nester said:

Hope the broncos lose a 1st round pick for these shady dealings 

Why? It's like when the Bills sat Tyrod a few seasons back in the season finale to avoid some cap hit/payout the following season incase he got hurt. 

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Why? It's like when the Bills sat Tyrod a few seasons back in the season finale to avoid some cap hit/payout the following season incase he got hurt. 

It isn't that bit they might be in trouble for. They are entitled to do that. Threatening to bench a player unless they concede a previously agreed to guarantee in their contract however is potentially a breach of the CBA

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I saw something with the NFLPA being involved and what the broncos asked was kind of a no-no. I doubt they lose a pick, but I could see some kind of fine 

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

While the Broncos season was not technically lost they conceded it was all but. 

In fact, weren’t they eliminated prior to kickoff even?

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It isn't that bit they might be in trouble for. They are entitled to do that. Threatening to bench a player unless they concede a previously agreed to guarantee in their contract however is potentially a breach of the CBA

While I won’t weigh in on CBA legalities- I will say as a player I’d rather have the choice to waive it instead of simply being benched because of the unspoken dynamic of it existing 

my point with the Denver news article coming out prior to the ask even happening was that benching to avoid injury risk is relatively common. So much so that Denver writers were talking about it as a play even prior to the team broaching it. Unless you think they were bringing some new and novel idea the league had not seen. 

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

In fact, weren’t they eliminated prior to kickoff even?

While I won’t weigh in on CBA legalities- I will say as a player I’d rather have the choice to waive it instead of simply being benched because of the unspoken dynamic of it existing 

my point with the Denver news article coming out prior to the ask even happening was that benching to avoid injury risk is relatively common. So much so that Denver writers were talking about it as a play even prior to the team broaching it. Unless you think they were bringing some new and novel idea the league had not seen. 

It isn't a common play to actually bench your recently big contract signed vet  QB1 midseason for fear of having to pay him money you have decided you no longer want to pay him.  There's Carr and there's Wilson.  That's the list.  The other guys you listed don't fall into this category.

Wilson, in the end, was not given this choice.  He said no the first time, got some backup from the NFLPA, then they did it anyway. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.