Will the Chiefs Fire Reid?

hondo in seattle

51 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Here is the problem, Philly canned Reid despite 4 NFCC appearances and 1 of those a superbowl, because they knew they weren't going to win one with him.  They were right.  

Many of us feel the same about McDermott. 

36 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

LOL, that is absolutely impossible to know.

Of course it is.  Saw it posted on internet.

Same thing with this "@SoonerBillsFan would rather have Fish win than Coach McDermott coach a win.".

Both posted on internet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Philly canned Pederson within 3 years of WINNING a Superbowl with a backup QB.

Because he had ruined relationships with pretty much everyone in the organisation. I don't know how many times it needs saying but Doug Pederson was not fired primarily for on field results. He was fired primarily for what happened in the building not on the field. 

39 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I will say it was nice to see the Bills do everything right after the last Cook fumble against the Chargers, and come up big in all phases/coaching decisions to close out the game. Have to credit McD and the staff for improvement in late game management there, and hope that continues to where we can start calling it a trend!

The Bills coaches did a better job than the Bills players against the Chargers. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, section122 said:

After he went 4-11-1 and refused to fire his oc.  That's a far cry from anything McD has done.

Everytime this comes up I ask which year did the Bills lose in the playoffs with the better team? There isn't one.

Allen is one of the top 3 qbs in the league.  The Bills have only lost to the other 2 top guys.

At least 1 guy in the thread is being honest.  He hasnt moved past 13 seconds.  I feel everyone who wants him fired is in the same boat.

There must be a lot of new posters here on the board or just blind McD loyalists.  The reasons so many think the chances the McD ever wins a Super Bowl with the Bills are extremely low have been posted with lots of data, statistics and reasons like maybe 100 times.  Literally.  There has also been EXTENSIVE talk about other examples of coaches being replaced with much better resumes than McD.

If anyone at all cares about a reasoned arguments, whether you agree or not, they are so easy to find on this board in tons of places.  My guess is at this point neither side is changing each others mind.  The reality is the only person whose opinion matters on this topic is Terry, and I don’t get the sense that there is anything McD can do that ever gets him to replace him.

Edited by Billsflyer12
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, section122 said:

After he went 4-11-1 and refused to fire his oc.  That's a far cry from anything McD has done.

Everytime this comes up I ask which year did the Bills lose in the playoffs with the better team? There isn't one.

Allen is one of the top 3 qbs in the league.  The Bills have only lost to the other 2 top guys.

At least 1 guy in the thread is being honest.  He hasnt moved past 13 seconds.  I feel everyone who wants him fired is in the same boat.

Best post in the thread.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Reid is 9-6 with an elite QB.  Inexcusable.  

Yeah, I'm being sarcastic.  And, yes, the situation with McD isn't exactly equivalent.  Reid's earned patience with his trophies.  McD doesn't have that cred yet.  Still, they're both 9-6 this season despite having great QBs.  

The Head Coach is important and should be held accountable for the performance of his team.  But I like to remember that he's just one piece of a large organization that includes a lot of immature 20-something-year-old kids.  I wouldn't judge Rembrandt on one of his brushstrokes.  Likewise, I don't judge a coach on one season or one game, let alone 13 seconds of a game.  

Vince Lombardi, Belichick, Walsh... all the great coaches suffered through disappointing seasons whether it was because of injuries, bad luck, poor player chemistry, a weak roster, or whatever.   Having a good QB doesn't automatically mean a team should appear in the SB.  If only it were that simple.  

Bravo!

4 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Fire him I say ... Get rid of him KC, he'll never win you another Super Bowl ... They should trade Mahomes to the NFC or CFL as well.

CFL.  That will be the impetus to chase Chad Kelly out of the CFL, and bring him home to Buffalo, where he can rightfully take over QB1 duties.  (Family rite of succession, due to his royal pedigree...)

🤔🤨😉

There are at least a few bored board members saying "that's a good idea!"

• Haha (+1) 3

16 hours ago, Blackbeard said:

I respect your opinion, but disagree to a point.

Most of your "gaffes" you speak of are hind sight/monday morning qb calls.  And you mention "blunder after blunder" .  Being a bit harsh maybe?

There are things, other than a head coach, which dictate how a season will go:  personnel, injuries, schedule, weather, how personnel actually performs, etc.  

Just my 2 cents.

You are correct.  What annoyed me is that we all could recognize some of the mistakes from McDermott - just as we could with Josh, the entire defense, Gabe, Cook etc.

Yet, everyone just wanted McDermott using the catch all phrase “because he’s the head coach.”  It wasn’t nuanced realistic criticism either - it got the point where people were saying McDermott was “Dick Jauron with Josh Allen at QB.”

In the end, he has his flaws like all NFL coaches do.  Is he good enough to win a Super Bowl?  That has yet to be seen.

But you really can’t say he isn’t a good coach in the NFL.   He’s proven that 

20 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

There must be a lot of new posters here on the board or just blind McD loyalists.   Literally.  There has also been EXTENSIVE talk about other examples of coaches being replaced with much better resumes than McD.

If anyone at all cares about a reasoned arguments, whether you agree or not, they are so easy to find on this board in tons of places.  My guess is at this point neither side is changing each others mind.  The reality is the only person whose opinion matters on this topic is Terry, and I don’t get the sense that there is anything McD can do that ever gets him to replace him.

“The reasons so many think the chances the McD ever wins a Super Bowl with the Bills are extremely low have been posted with lots of data, statistics and reasons like maybe 100 times.”

If this is so easy to find, show me the data.  And don’t use the 33rd team article about QB/Coach combos which doesn’t speak directly to any individual coach.  

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

When Reid was HC in Philly, he made a lot of the same mistakes that McDermott makes now and was fired despite having a more impressive resume.

He’s makin all the same mistakes on the chiefs but mahomes/Kelce have been able to cover it up up until this point so no one has cared 

a hall of fame wr left and they thought they could get by with mediocre talent at that position…the team pretty quickly started to go downhill until ultimately going 4-12 the year Reid was fired…hopefully that will sound familiar next year 😂. Eagles had a bit of a comeback when desean Jackson hit the scene but it was pretty short lived

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Here is the problem, Philly canned Reid despite 4 NFCC appearances and 1 of those a superbowl, because they knew they weren't going to win one with him.  They were right.  

I lived in the Philly/NJ area when this decision was made.  There was a lot of talk that Andy “couldn’t win the big game” in the background and that followed him to KC until recently, but this is not why they fired him.

In 2011, Andy finished 8-8 despite winning the division the previous years and building superstars on offense like Shady, Desean Jackson, Jeremy Machlin etc.   So he got a second chance in 2012 ans ended up going 4-12.  One of the worst teams in the NFL. 

8-8 and 4-12 is what got Andy fired.  It wasn’t the belief that he couldn’t win them a Super Bowl.   Philly felt that Reid’s time had run its course and that they needed a change.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BearNorth said:

Philly canned Pederson within 3 years of WINNING a Superbowl with a backup QB.

His record was 9-7, 9-7, 4-11-1

That last season was an absolute train wreck that saw him embarrass Philly by deliberately tanking.  

People want to say that Marty or Marvin Lewis are comparable…they are not.  McDermott has more post season success than both combined.  

I’ve always felt John Fox was the best comp.  He took over a Josh McDaniels dumpster fire and got the team to 8-8 with Tim Tebow and actually won a playoff game.

He then won 13, 13, and 12 games.  Of course that also included a SB appearance where his team was blown out by a lesser opponent.   He was fired shortly after.  

With Peyton Manning on his last legs, Johnny Elway hired his best friend and OC to run the team as well as his former head coach Wade Phillips to run the defense.  

Elway relied on experienced coaches he knew well and previously worked with.  Also in the case of Kubiak, a coach already on staff.  

He didn’t hire the “Ben Johnson’s” of the world to start over.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yeah, the fans ran his ass off and were thrilled when he left, he could "never win the big game" bs.

And Chip Kelly proved once again that listening to the fans is such a smart move.    // sarcasm off

17 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Reid chose to move on from a QB who led his team to the playoffs, while throwing for over 4000 yards, 26 TDs and 5 INTs, in favor of Mahomes.

McDermott opted to start Nathan Peterman over Josh Allen.  Maybe McDermott thought that the second start for Peterman would be a charm?

Game management has been an adventure with McDermott, and I don't think that ownership particularly cares.  Question is, will McDermott learn from his mistakes?  He's shown a propensity for stubbornness, to the detriment of the team.

Revisionist history.  McDermott didn't have much choice.  Allen was definitely not ready to start an NFL game at the start of his rookie season.   He wasn't ready to play QB in the NFL when he first replaced Peterman as a rookie.  He didn't know what he was doing.  After he was injured and forced to sit for a few games, he came back and played much better, but not particularly great.  His leadership and running ability were his biggest assets.  As somebody else posted, Allen didn't emerge as a quality NFL QB wasn't until part way through his third season (2020).

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

More revisionist history.   The Philly FO (Lurie and Roseman) fired Andy Reid and hired Chip Kelly because Reid went 4-12 in 2012 after going 8-8 in 2011 and making the playoffs in 2008-2010.   They canned  Kelly with one game remaining in his third season after the Eagles went 6-9 as HC.

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

“Oh, Josh, you’re my hero” 🤮 🤮

This is the same guy who threw a pick in 9 consecutive games this season. Not to mention the fumbles. 
#17 has been bailed out by Mcd’s defense so many times it’s unreal. And not just this season. Josh is a turnover machine. A lot of Josh’s late game comebacks are due to his turnovers earlier in games. Some of you still sniffing Josh’s jock. Stop, it’ll make you dopey. 

Look at Jim Kelly's career interceptions.  Qbs that air it out tend to through picks.  The good out weighs the bad.

16 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Revisionist history.  McDermott didn't have much choice.  Allen was definitely not ready to start an NFL game at the start of his rookie season.   He wasn't ready to play QB in the NFL when he first replaced Peterman as a rookie.  He didn't know what he was doing.  After he was injured and forced to sit for a few games, he came back and played much better, but not particularly great.  His leadership and running ability were his biggest assets.  As somebody else posted, Allen didn't emerge as a quality NFL QB wasn't until part way through his third season (2020).

McDermott did have a choice - he could have started someone other than one of the worst NFL QBs in recent memory, in Nathan Peterman.  After the Peterman debacle in 2017, why did McDermott go back to Peterman again?  Another example of McDermott's stubbornness.

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, BBFL said:

Crazies? Bit of a reach there bud… Most fans who wanted McD gone was during the team spiraling out of control and being sub .500 as a result of coaching errors and issues. Don’t think that is being crazy when you have a top 3 QB in the league with repeated failures in the playoffs to boot. 

We haven’t been sub .500 this year. Don’t make up stuff to prove your point.

16 hours ago, chongli said:

My interest piqued when I read the title, thinking the Chiefs would be stupid to get rid of Reid.

But anyway, there is talk of bringing back Bienemy to be the OC.

Why would Bienemy want to step backwards, is he being fired by the Commanders?  ( the place where dreams go to die) 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.