OT: On this day 43 years ago, NBC experimented with an announcer-less game (Jets at Miami)

chongli

My preferred format is one neutral play-by-play announcer there only to clarify and narrate what's necessary...and they are flanked by a fan of each team who are getting progressively more drunken throughout the broadcast. But producers have hair-trigger mute buttons if these fanatics get vulgar or just plain boorish, for the network feeds. (There would be an unfiltered feed available on some companion streaming service or sister channel.)

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

They should listen to your brilliant idea - they could charge extra for it on sound option.

Home Broadcast crew: $2

Away Broadcast crew: $2

No broadcaster sounds: $4

But would Heavy Kevi pay for it? After all, he won't pay $6 for Peacock. 🤪

• Haha (+1) 1

I really enjoy the Mannings. That is a great development, especially if you can’t stand listening to that no nada Aikman or of course- Collingsworth the other team’s cheerleader! They get to comment on what should be done and what went right or wrong in real time, along with interesting guests.

8 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I watched that broadcast and didn't care for it. There's a reason they didn't repeat the experiment. I suppose it could be better these days with large screen TV's and home theater systems.

On-screen graphics (and the yellow line) would make this a lot better. Back then, you had no way to know the score or down and distance unless you were paying really close attention. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I bet it was way better than hearing, “now there’s a guy” ..,., 

How about "I want you to watch....?" LOL

I keed, I keed. Tony does know his stuff, and does add good commentary for new/newer fans who may not know what's going on out on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

with the way broadcasts are now there is no need for announcers. Everything is on the screen, score, time left, timeouts remaining even down and distance is shown on the field. The refs have mics to explain stuff....announcers tell you what's happening and analysts tell you what just happened. it's not necessary. I watch most games with sound off but would like to just hear the crowd

12 hours ago, chongli said:

Buffalo dominated the NFL that year. We led the NFL in 3rd-down efficiency, total defense, and sacks allowed. Only a fluke play against San Diego in the playoffs in the last-minute cost us the game.

It's always a fluke play, a mistake, a costly penalty, or some other crazy instance that costs us a big win.  50+ years of seeing it play out in countless ways. Just when you think you've seen every heart breaking way the Bills can lose a game, they come up with another.   12 men on the field vs Denver is the newest addition to a very long list.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

I watch most games with sound off but would like to just hear the crowd

I've been jury rigging this on my television for years by muting the center channel of my 5.1 speaker setup.  I also have to turn down the bass to avoid muffled voices.  It's not a perfect solution by any means, but it does silence the announcers while keeping the crowd noise intact.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

I've been jury rigging this on my television for years by muting the center channel of my 5.1 speaker setup.  I also have to turn down the bass to avoid muffled voices.  It's not a perfect solution by any means, but it does silence the announcers while keeping the crowd noise intact.  

How does this matter when one is on the roof, turning the bow tie for better reception? 🤔

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.