The Josh Allen Effect

TPS

So, a couple of years ago I recall commenting about how the Bills would eventually start getting the calls--much like Brady ALWAYS did--because of Allen and his rising popularity (I think I was motivated by seeing he was #1 or 2 in jersey sales).  Certainly, many others agreed. The NFL is essentially a marketing driven business, so you tend to see the big names and big market teams have "favorable" things happen during the season to ensure a playoff appearance.  With all of the injuries to top QBs, I imagine the NFL really wants to see Allen's Bills in the playoffs--who wouldn't want another KC-Buffalo match up?

So, bottom line,  I don't think we have to worry about getting hosed any longer by bad calls, in fact, we will be on the receiving end of good calls....eh Mahomes!?  I'm not trying to say it's explicitly rigged, but refs can call (or not) a penalty on any play. I fully expect the Bills will be on the receiving end of more calls that go their way these last 4 games, and I expect them to be in the playoffs.  I mean, does anyone really want to see Mahomes vs Browning in a playoff game?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2

That makes no sense at all and if evenly remotely true makes the Eagles game absolutely absurd, that team didn't need that win at all while we were ***** drowning. The ref in this next game has a ridiculous record calling Cowboys games as well though I don't know if they're have been any real stand out games like the Dolphins game earlier this year for the Eagles and Hochuli.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It makes sense, but you may be thinking a bit too deep into how the officials are calling these games. 

The league certainly tells them which penalties should be prioritized or what needs to be scrutinized more often, but I still don't buy that the refs going into games actively looking to swing certain calls to favor individuals.

Little biases & preferences may slip in, so I agree that Allen may get the benefit of the doubt in that regard, but I don't think the league is saying "we want Buffalo in the playoffs," and telling officials to swallow whistles that favor us, throw flags to help the Bills extend drives, or anything of that nature.

Edited by BigDingus
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, TPS said:

So, a couple of years ago I recall commenting about how the Bills would eventually start getting the calls--much like Brady ALWAYS did--because of Allen and his rising popularity (I think I was motivated by seeing he was #1 or 2 in jersey sales).  Certainly, many others agreed. The NFL is essentially a marketing driven business, so you tend to see the big names and big market teams have "favorable" things happen during the season to ensure a playoff appearance.  With all of the injuries to top QBs, I imagine the NFL really wants to see Allen's Bills in the playoffs--who wouldn't want another KC-Buffalo match up?

So, bottom line,  I don't think we have to worry about getting hosed any longer by bad calls, in fact, we will be on the receiving end of good calls....eh Mahomes!?  I'm not trying to say it's explicitly rigged, but refs can call (or not) a penalty on any play. I fully expect the Bills will be on the receiving end of more calls that go their way these last 4 games, and I expect them to be in the playoffs.  I mean, does anyone really want to see Mahomes vs Browning in a playoff game?

To further your point, a loss Buffalo doesn't hurt Dallas, they are playoff bound.  But a win for Buffalo would really help them.  I can bet we see a few go our way Sunday 

21 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

That's an interesting take.  Makes some sense.   The stars get the calls. 

Right now shaw outside of Philly, SF,Dallas,Baltimore and KC getting in...the QB field looks bleak.

26 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

It makes sense, but you may be thinking a bit too deep into how the officials are calling these games. 

The league certainly tells them which penalties should be prioritized or what needs to be scrutinized more often, but I still don't buy that the refs going into games actively looking to swing certain calls to favor individuals.

Little biases & preferences may slip in, so I agree that Allen may get the benefit of the doubt in that regard, but I don't think the league is saying "we want Buffalo in the playoffs," and telling officials to swallow whistles that favor us, throw flags to help the Bills extend drives, or anything of that nature.

Yeah, it’s why I said I don’t think it’s rigged, but…things do favor certain teams and players. I don’t mean to say they will make a call to throw a game, but making a call OR NOT making a call impacts a game, but may  or may not ultimately change an outcome. The point is, I think the Bills will get more favorable calls than what we were so used to in the drought years because of Josh Allen’s marketability. I embellished a bit in the op. 

Edited by TPS
  • Agree 1

Josh plays so hard, refs allow cheap shots at Josh.  They might protect some QBs, but refs have to do a better job protecting Josh.

After Mahomes classless B word session, he has lost some markability shine.

Josh is a superstar with class.  NFL should be backing Josh

• Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, TPS said:

You must have missed the Eagles game?! 

I think there could be something in this theory for the remaining games though.... if there ever was an NFL "script" then the powers that be would surely want Allen in the playoffs this year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I know this is not a popular take, but I really don't think the ref's care who wins or loses. Yes, their calls make a difference, but I doubt there is any discussion or pressure to be favorable to one team or the other for the good of the league. They are human--which is part of the rub--so they will no doubt make bad calls, and at times, their emotions may enter the decision-making process. But intentionally swinging a game one way or the other, I don't buy it.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, GrimboG said:

You must have missed the Eagles game?! 

I think there could be something in this theory for the remaining games though.... if there ever was an NFL "script" then the powers that be would surely want Allen in the playoffs this year. 

You are missing the point of the script.  

The Bills lose a heartbreaker and against all odds, go on a run to the Super Bowl. 

Where they lose.  

NFL loves an underdog and likes to keep them there.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, CSBill said:

I know this is not a popular take, but I really don't think the ref's care who wins or loses. Yes, their calls make a difference, but I doubt there is any discussion or pressure to be favorable to one team or the other for the good of the league. They are human--which is part of the rub--so they will no doubt make bad calls, and at times, their emotions may enter the decision-making process. But intentionally swinging a game one way or the other, I don't buy it.

Agreed.  I think they are incompetent...which is a completely different issue to talk about...but I don't think they are purposely trying to swing games.  We also live in a society right now that has never been more obsessed with conspiracy theories and cover-ups so I'm not surprised so many people think that way.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Josh plays so hard, refs allow cheap shots at Josh.  They might protect some QBs, but refs have to do a better job protecting Josh.

After Mahomes classless B word session, he has lost some markability shine.

Josh is a superstar with class.  NFL should be backing Josh

https://www.reddit.com/r/Patriots/s/cTB4syBWOa

Allen has a flipping mixtape (dude grew up watching Levron). Every qb whines about calls and the refs miss a lot for every team because they are really bad this year. 

9 hours ago, TPS said:

hard one to sell with the Philly game in the last 4 you reference being better for the bills

27 minutes ago, CSBill said:

I tend to agree though I think in that human element superstars often get a little benefit of the doubt, for instance 

josh and his style of play may not see that as much though

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

You are missing the point of the script.  

The Bills lose a heartbreaker and against all odds, go on a run to the Super Bowl. 

Where they lose.  

NFL loves an underdog and likes to keep them there.  

Well I don't think there us a "script", but I do think you nailed it. This is exactly what I expect to happen. We will get in, crush AFC, win a crazy AFCCG in Baltimore, and then lose in SB to 49ers in another crazy game.

Will be brutal but we will get one eventually with Allen.

That's what my crystal ball says.

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Coldfronts said:

10 years ago I would have laughed and called you out for tin hat wearing.  Today, I consider it to be a plausible theory.  Corruption seems to be the rule not the exception lately 

Funny you say that, in a league where everything is about money, why would that not include this general topic.  

Goodell & the Owners water this league down for an extra buck any chance they can get.  More games, probably more playoff teams, increasingly more games in more countries, probably more teams, etc.  

It may be naive to think that they'd let officiating stand in their way.  

We see players & coaches complain about the officiating, but how often do we see owners publicly complain about the officiating for their teams.  It's not as if they don't have the money for the fine.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.