The Josh Allen Effect

TPS

15 hours ago, TPS said:

So, a couple of years ago I recall commenting about how the Bills would eventually start getting the calls--much like Brady ALWAYS did--because of Allen and his rising popularity (I think I was motivated by seeing he was #1 or 2 in jersey sales).  Certainly, many others agreed. The NFL is essentially a marketing driven business, so you tend to see the big names and big market teams have "favorable" things happen during the season to ensure a playoff appearance.  With all of the injuries to top QBs, I imagine the NFL really wants to see Allen's Bills in the playoffs--who wouldn't want another KC-Buffalo match up?

So, bottom line,  I don't think we have to worry about getting hosed any longer by bad calls, in fact, we will be on the receiving end of good calls....eh Mahomes!?  I'm not trying to say it's explicitly rigged, but refs can call (or not) a penalty on any play. I fully expect the Bills will be on the receiving end of more calls that go their way these last 4 games, and I expect them to be in the playoffs.  I mean, does anyone really want to see Mahomes vs Browning in a playoff game?

I hope not. I don’t want the Bills getting any BS calls or any team for that matter. The games should be officiated evenly. This is a huge problem for the NFL. 

9 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

In fairness, so does Tua.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cupc6i4IDpv/

Well Tua’s flopping might cause him to die! 

they all do in their own way. But it’s like Lebron. Allen is so big and runs over LBs, it’s funny to see him get his facemask touched and go flying. But hey if it draws a penalty, I’m good with it. 

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Josh Allen has been marketable for years and Bills were NOT getting the calls.

Yes, which is why I started with it's a point that was made a couple years ago. Can you point to any calls in the past couple of years that have hurt the Bills' chances for a playoff spot? Or even in the playoffs? 

As for Allen's marketability, I'd say he really started getting national spots just last season, as a consequence of that KC playoff that ended their 2021 season.  Compare him to guys like Mayfield, Herbert or Lawrence who were getting national ads in their first or second years having accomplished very little if anything on the field yet.

I guess Hochuli didn't get the memo.  I used to believe in this narrative until the Eagles game.  It's more about big market cities over big time qbs.  You put Josh on the Patriots or Giants and then the calls will flood in.  Goodell doesn't give a rats ass about Buffalo.  That's why we were part of  the sacrificial experiment up in London. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.