Gabe's momma chimes in

Process

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He finished last year as #2 in yards, TDs, 1st downs and #1 in YPC.  This year he has cut down his drop % by half--the same as Digg's now (although Diggs has twice as many drops this year)

what else you got?

He’s the number 2 WR, he should. He’s gotten more play time, targets and opportunities than anyone else not named Diggs.  He still has to do his job better, if he did we wouldn’t be having this conversation 

Edited by BananaB

46 minutes ago, BananaB said:

I think the loss of Beas and the fact we have no other capable #2 Gabe has gotten more attention and he’s just not good enough to handle it. 

That's a reasonable take.  The whole premise of the Bills FO last season was that they didn't need to replace Sanders or Beasley because Davis and McKenzie were ready to step up, with Jamison Crowder and rookie Khalil Shakir as Plan B.

That premise did not prove out and Plan B was from outer space.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I was under the impression he had a corner route and should have recognized the pressure and ran a post instead?

Presuming we're talking about the non-TD in overtime at Philly...

Heres' what happened.  Davis get up on the CB.  CB had inside leverage.  Which maybe dictates you break out.  But there was a zero blitz and middle of field unoccupied.  Which maybe dictates you break to middle of field, espcially given that the CB stumbled and was offbalance.  Allen throws to inside, while Davis broke outside.  

Who was "wrong"  I dont really know, and I doubt people on this board know either.  It depends what the Bills choice rules are.  There were pros and cons either way.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, BananaB said:

He’s the number 2 WR, he should. He’s gotten more play time, targets and opportunities than anyone else not named Diggs.  He still has to do his job better, if he did we wouldn’t be having this conversation 

he'a #3 in targets

3 hours ago, Mango said:

You got to see a guy open by 15 yards in the endzone though. 

Unfortunately that isn't how it works. If Kincaid was Allen's 1st or 2nd read and he liked the matchup, he has to throw the ball to him, especially with pressure getting there. He isn't quickly checking to see if Davis is wide open, he's already starting to prepare his body to throw to Kincaid and would never have gotten to Davis next.

If Allen misread the read pre-snap that's one thing but no one other than him or Brady know if that's true.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Bills WR! essentially disappeared 2 months ago...

And he had a total of 51 yards vs the Jets and KC Defenses----2 and 3 yards per target!!

But Davis, with hardly any targets recently, yet still #2 in yards, 1st downs and TDs is THE huge problem in the receiver room...

Do you think gabe is a viable WR2 for this team?

1 minute ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Man some of those shots sure make it look like Gabe was open more than we give him credit for. I would have loved to hear what he was saying when he was wide open running into the end zone. 

Yeah I don’t think Gabe’s covered nearly every route he runs, but for whatever reason he and Josh just don’t jive. I remember in TC Josh saying Kincaid was “fun to throw to” and “gives good body language.” I’ve never heard him say something similar about Davis.

Josh just doesn’t have the same trust in him and Gabe only reinforces that distrust when seemingly the highest percentage of Allen’s INTs are in his direction.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Kind of funny how Davis got all the blame for not breaking off his route against Philly, yet there's little blame for Allen missing Gabe wide open for a TD for the 2nd week in a row.

yes, it’s easier to properly run a route than to expect a qb to see every open opportunity, progression and pressure be damned 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BananaB said:

Wasn’t last year. And he’s not third in targets to WRs, to Kincaid who has proved to be very reliable once Knox got injured. He earned his targets where Gabes play has earned him less time. 

Davis appeared in 88% of Offensive snaps, compared to 68% for Kincaid.

keep going...

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Do you think gabe is a viable WR2 for this team?

I've said it all year.  He needs more targets.  Allen only sees Diggs at this point--and Diggs isn't producing.  Not at WR1 level. 

4 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

This is the best OLine Allen has ever played behind. Chiefs have an excellent defense this season and played well at home. Sometimes you just have to tip the cap to the other team.

No doubt.  But the point is that our OL could have been a whole lot better but we've never done much to make it that way when Allen's the centerpiece of our entire team.  

48 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Yeah I don’t think Gabe’s covered nearly every route he runs, but for whatever reason he and Josh just don’t jive. I remember in TC Josh saying Kincaid was “fun to throw to” and “gives good body language.” I’ve never heard him say something similar about Davis.

Josh just doesn’t have the same trust in him and Gabe only reinforces that distrust when seemingly the highest percentage of Allen’s INTs are in his direction.

That's because he's 3 yards away

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

You can see so clearly on this tighter film what he does well and doesn't do well. 

Long, powerful, great release, sneaky fast with a long stride. 

Poor acceleration, agility, sloppy footwork, route running. 

I'm not joking, but it would have probably been in his best interest to add 25 pounds and play TE. His skills are TE skills. That's not insulating the man. If anything we would be saying he's an athletic freak at TE. But at WR he's just not twitchy enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Davis appeared in 88% of Offensive snaps, compared to 68% for Kincaid.

keep going...

I've said it all year.  He needs more targets.  Allen only sees Diggs at this point--and Diggs isn't producing.  Not at WR1 level. 

Idk, I don’t know why you’ve said all year.  I don’t read many of your posts.  

So did you say that you think Davis is a viable WR2?  You believe he’s a good enough WR to be our WR2 going forward?  

Do you hope he’s resigned?  If so, say you’re the GM, how much would you be comfortable paying him per season?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.