Goodell: The NFL will become very global. More international games over the next 10 years.

Gregg

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Baseball was my sport growing up and I have played against guys that were called up.

Many of the better players are basically encouraged to not run it out as hard as they can on routine type of ground balls in the regular season.  Its because they are paying them a lot, a routine ground ball is like a .998 chance you are going to be out.

Why risk a hammy or ankle sprinting to first base?  We don’t have the same perspective as MLB owners.  Owners look at these players as business investments.  They don’t want to lose a starting CF for 2 months on a routine ground ball….especially since its a single at best.

You have a few that don’t care like a Jeter but from what I have been told, don’t risk the injury. 

That's interesting, thanks!

I've always wondered why they didn't try harder.  From a fan perspective my thought was always, "he's getting paid so much, hustle it out."  

So that makes sense.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

So were off to Brazil. LOL. I hope not.

DEC 6 BILLS COULD OPEN 2024 IN BRAZIL The NFL could look to expand its international audience, and Brazil may be next on the map.

ESPN reporter John Sutcliffe is reporting that the Miami Dolphins could open their 2024 season in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

While the schedule for 2024 won't be released until May, the Dolphins play the Buffalo Bills twice each year, and they could be the opposing team for Miami in that potential Brazil game.

Oh, *hell* no.  Divisional games are very important.  One (home or away) should not be played overseas.  That and congrats, the Bills and Dolphins would then both be screwed for Week 2.

A divisional game overseas is a terrible idea.  A Week 1 game overseas is a terrible idea.  And here we have both.

Money grubbing punks running the league with zero regard for the integrity of the game.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Oh, *hell* no.  Divisional games are very important.  One (home or away) should not be played overseas.  That and congrats, the Bills and Dolphins would then both be screwed for Week 2.

A divisional game overseas is a terrible idea.  A Week 1 game overseas is a terrible idea.  And here we have both.

Money grubbing punks running the league with zero regard for the integrity of the game.

The author was just speculating on the Bills being the opponent as it could be anyone but the Dolphins playing over there is being considered.

9 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

And if Australia gets a game it'll be 6:30 or earlier I believe. Between these overseas games, officiating and trying to figure out which streaming service your game is on, the NFL is almost becoming too painful to follow. 

yup. 

I think they are forgetting how much of the explosion was fantasy football based and how obnoxious it is to have games with players less than 100% and at weird timings (thurs, Sunday at 8am, etc….)

then as you mention- moving into a ton of different platforms to view games. I don’t want to have to carry cable, Amazon, peacock, nfl network, and who knows what else to come to view a single team 17 times

20 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

yup. 

I think they are forgetting how much of the explosion was fantasy football based and how obnoxious it is to have games with players less than 100% and at weird timings (thurs, Sunday at 8am, etc….)

then as you mention- moving into a ton of different platforms to view games. I don’t want to have to carry cable, Amazon, peacock, nfl network, and who knows what else to come to view a single team 17 times

And yet, you do carry those ways to view. And the NFL gets another fat paycheck from that streaming service for the rights.

the NFL continues to do these things because they are a business, and when a business has an opportunity to grow and make more money, they will.

If the NFL unveiled Tuesday Night Football from Antarctica, they would get killer ratings, we would all watch, and they would make money. 

It’s fiduciary malpractice to not expand when there’s an opportunity to do so.

Edited by FireChans

30 minutes ago, FireChans said:

And yet, you do carry those ways to view. And the NFL gets another fat paycheck from that streaming service for the rights.

the NFL continues to do these things because they are a business, and when a business has an opportunity to grow and make more money, they will.

If the NFL unveiled Tuesday Night Football from Antarctica, they would get killer ratings, we would all watch, and they would make money. 

It’s fiduciary malpractice to not expand when there’s an opportunity to do so.

I absolutely do not carry all of them, so a bold assumption there. And I would be considered amongst the best potential revenue streams. Huge disposable income, lifelong fan… My spend in both time viewing and cash committed over the last 5-7 years has dropped drastically due to the declining experience. Heck, I used to be a season ticket holder for a non-bills franchise, on top of being a rabid consumer of the bills. 

Monday night football returning to abc due to the hollywood strike made me a MNF consumer again for this year, as another clear example. 

im also in fewer fantasy leagues because of the discussed issues.

last up- I think people liked the event that was a Sunday with everyone playing and then the very special MNF game. Similarly I used to love the Saturday draft and clear a whole day. Now I check in on our picks online. They are diluting the experience for their core consumers to chase folks that may never materially convert. 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Gregg said:

What does the league bring in revenue wise now. 20 - 25 billion a year. That number will be going up which is all Goodell, and the owners care about.  Something about watching football at 9:30 in the morning I will never get used too.

Move to the west coast and the games start at 10 AM!

7 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I’m guessing these international games have big financial gains because other than the tit doesn’t seem to add very much.  The games are never good, it complicated players and coaches lives - potentially puts players at risk, and most fans hate it.  

I also don’t think it significantly spreads worldwide awareness.  International fans already have access to all types of American broadcasts.  If they wanted to follow NFL they already would.   It just seems like soccer is always going to be the most popular sport worldwide 

Oh I think the fans overseas love it.

As far as popularity is concerned, American football is not even in the top 10:

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/what-are-the-most-popular-sports-in-the-world.html

Rank - Sport - Name - Amount of Fans - Regions

1 Football (Soccer)3.5 Billion Europe, Africa, Asia, America

2 Cricket 2.5 Billion Asia, Australia, UK

3 Field Hockey 2 Billion Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia (not ice hockey)

4 Tennis 1 Billion Europe, Asia, America

5 Volleyball 900 Million Europe, Australia, Asia, America

6 Table Tennis 850 Million Europe, Africa, Asia, America

7 Basketball 800 Million America, Oceania, Middle East

8 Baseball 500 Million America, Japan

9 Rugby 475 Million Oceania, South Africa, England

10 Golf 450 Million America, Oceania, Europe

[baseball?? WTF?]

6 hours ago, Gregg said:

Starters barely play in those games anyway.

And you saw the results for teams in Week 1, like Buffalo and KC. In fact, our Jets loss set the tone for this failed (so far) season.

This will probably start like some of the European soccer teams do playing 1-2 games in North America before the season.  

The US fan base is pretty much what it is and there's not a lot of room for growth.  So, like any corporate initiative, they'll look for emerging markets and believe Europe/South America/Asia represent that.  Not surprising.    

What I'm interested in is how the NFLPA addresses initiatives like this.  They eventually caved on 17 games and likely will when 18 is up for consideration.  Seems like they get pushed around now by the owners in a way that Gene Upshaw never would have allowed.  NFLPA strikes me as just controlled opposition now, bending to owners' desire for revenue with token resistance.  

18 games is coming and so are more international games.  Also means more injuries, shorter careers, and lower quality games.  Have to wonder when the players start pushing back on their weak union.  

16 hours ago, NoSaint said:

yup. 

They are even putting a playoff game on Peacock.  This is end of NFL unless there is a massive drop in viewers.

23 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Many of the better players are basically encouraged to not run it out as hard as they can on routine type of ground balls in the regular season.  Its because they are paying them a lot, a routine ground ball is like a .998 chance you are going to be out.

You have a few that don’t care like a Jeter but from what I have been told, don’t risk the injury. 

Ichiro was the best.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.