Backup QBs starting

Dan Darragh

8 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

With the rash of QB injuries, I don't remember a year with so many backups starting.  Sadly, I don't get the sense that our backup QB could hold a candle to:

Jameis

Tyrod

Beathard

Trubisky

Levis

Dobbs

PJ Walker

Browning

Would you take K. Allen over any of them?

Eh, any given Sunday, but he's definitely in the bottom quartile

Here's the thing, the Bills as a .500 or better team are going to live or die entirely on the back of Josh Allen.  The team can't overcome JV coaching and an injury to QB1.  Minus Josh, the Bills are what, 2-10?  I'm not even sure who they would beat.  the game against New England would probably end 3-0 in overtime.  With us losing, of course.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yay another ‘our guy is worse than their guy’ thread. 

The Dorsey offense was notoriously difficult to pick up, especially for QBs. Kyle Allen has been a decent #2 in his career. With Brady making changes I’d be curious to see if Allen looks better next summer. 

Id resign him and let him fight it out with a rookie.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Yay another ‘our guy is worse than their guy’ thread. 

The Dorsey offense was notoriously difficult to pick up, especially for QBs. Kyle Allen has been a decent #2 in his career. With Brady making changes I’d be curious to see if Allen looks better next summer. 

Id resign him and let him fight it out with a rookie.

This is really the key, i believe.  Dorsey's offense was like owning an Alfa Romeo.  If conditions were utterly perfect, it was as good as it gets.  If there's a few molecules out of place or the moon is in the wrong phase, forget it, you're walking.

What I don't understand though, is that I watch other teams with offenses that LOOK much more complicated, pre-snap motion all over the place, guys running routes all over the field, with some pretty mid tier QBs running them.  The Bills O under Dorsey looked dull and predictable, for all it's alleged complexity.

Right now Indy, Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Cincinnati are all down to back up QBs and all are ahead of Buffalo in the Wild Card hunt. 

I do think that Joe Brady could put together a gameplan to at least go .500 with Kyle Allen.  Brady seems more willing to fit the offense around the players as opposed to Dorsey that seemed to try and fit players into his offense.

5 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Kyle Allen wouldn't even take Kyle Allen. They need to get away from Josh picking the OC and backup QB. Nobody should have that much control. Josh needs someone to push him, not coddle him

Thank you!!  

The only reason why Kyle's here is because of his friendship with Josh.  

What you said above is yet another example of a lack of leadership in the coaching dept.  

Who knows what the dynamics are there, maybe McDoesn'tKnow is afraid to provoke Josh, which quite frankly isn't unreasonable given that he knows next to zero about offense.  Just sayin'.   

He knows that if it ever came down to a popularity contest between himself and Josh, that the results would be equivalent to that of a WNY-wide poll on Ranch v. Bleu.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dan Darragh said:

With the rash of QB injuries, I don't remember a year with so many backups starting.  Sadly, I don't get the sense that our backup QB could hold a candle to:

Jameis

Tyrod

Beathard

Trubisky

Levis

Dobbs

PJ Walker

Browning

That's not the right question IMO.  It should be would we take K Allen and our current offense over any of them.  I have no idea whether K Allen is better then or worse then Browning. I do know that Browning was filling in for a team committed to the offensive side of the ball and has a lot more offensive talent then the Bills do.  That helped the Browning out a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dan Darragh said:

Jameis

Tyrod

Beathard

Trubisky

Levis

Dobbs

PJ Walker

Browning

People thought the Bengals were sunk when Burrow went down, but Browning looked pretty good last night. Who would have picked Josh Dobbs to be leading the Vikings to a potential playoff game?

Kyle Allen has plenty of talent.  There are few who would be good replacements for Josh Allen. Backup QB is the least of my worries 

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Thank you!!  

The only reason why Kyle's here is because of his friendship with Josh.  

What you said above is yet another example of a lack of leadership in the coaching dept.  

Who knows what the dynamics are there, maybe McDoesn'tKnow is afraid to provoke Josh, which quite frankly isn't unreasonable given that he knows next to zero about offense.  Just sayin'.   

He knows that if it ever came down to a popularity contest between himself and Josh, that the results would be equivalent to that of a WNY-wide poll on Ranch v. Bleu.  

All false, Allen is here because Terry is cheap and it was less cost to have two Allen name plates made vs adding another whole set up fee.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dorquemada said:

This is really the key, i believe.  Dorsey's offense was like owning an Alfa Romeo.  If conditions were utterly perfect, it was as good as it gets.  If there's a few molecules out of place or the moon is in the wrong phase, forget it, you're walking.

What I don't understand though, is that I watch other teams with offenses that LOOK much more complicated, pre-snap motion all over the place, guys running routes all over the field, with some pretty mid tier QBs running them.  The Bills O under Dorsey looked dull and predictable, for all it's alleged complexity.

I think Dorsey had a to of option routes, something Dabs brought in year 2 or 3. WRs and QBs need to make the correct read at the same time. I’m sure there is more too it than that as well. 

So now we are just assuming our backup, a guy who hasn't played yet, will stink.   I'd put a ton of $$ down on other teams' chat rooms saying the same thing about each of the backups mentioned in the OP.

and for the record, I'd take Kyle Allen over Trubisky in a heartbeat.  Just to name one.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, dorquemada said:

Over complexity means miscommunications.  Miscommunications lead to so many different mistakes.  

• Agree 1

I would choose Tyrod Taylor who lead the Buffalo Bills to a playoff spot to break the drought as the Bills back up to Josh Allen over Kyle Allen. I am loyal to our own Bills players that won in the past over a Kyle Allen that never won a thing in the NFL. We all know why Kyle Allen is here because he is cheap salary cap wise not because he is any good. The Bills are gambling on Josh Allen staying healthy the entire year. But as Josh Allen gets older that isn’t realistic strategy by the Bills in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

While this topic seems comical at first glance one has to wonder if there’s an overarching trend lurking here. If you invest so much of your Cap into a Franchise QB you eventually find yourself in a bind if he goes down, or in Cap purgatory if he doesn’t. It’ll be interesting to see if 2023 is a tipping point. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.