McDermott's Two Minute Defense This Year vs Past Seasons

Scott7975

Thank you for this, as I  had wanted to know this important information.

I thought this was the case, as I cannot recall this happening very much under Frazier, with mainly the KC  playoff game coming to mind.

And I cannot recall ever feeling like I do now, that the defense was going to allow some late in game or over time drives to blow the game.

A huge reason why McDermott will not be the DC next year, and in my view, why Frazier is once again leading the defense.

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

I thought this was the case, as I cannot recall this happening very much under Frazier, with mainly the KC  playoff game coming to mind.

And I cannot recall ever feeling like I do now, that the defense was going to allow some late in game or over time drives to blow the game.

A huge reason why McDermott will not be the DC next year, and in my view, why Frazier is once again leading the defense.

51 minutes ago, Chaos said:

It is always good to see the data. Confirms the eyeball test of every adult football fan with an IQ over 80.

Yeah, I am not sure if injuries are effecting that and maybe even age of some key players losing a step.  I'd love to see a video of someone breaking down the difference between Frazier and McD defense.  I know McD has been a bit more aggressive but I really do not know much of the differences and whats going on this year.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

It seems McDermotts defense has become stale and predictable.  So far it seems every opponent has an opening script to score and a two minute script to score which works against the Bills.  

Didn't one of the Eagles players (I forgot who it was) say he couldn't believe the Bills defense on the winning TD as the play is one of their favorites to run and the Bills should have been prepared for it. 

10 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

Yup and until Frazier says differently I firmly believe McD called the defense for 13 seconds.  He called a defensive TO before both KC plays. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I was flipping channels and saw last Sunday’s game was being replayed on NFL Network. When I joined it was the end of Eagles overtime drive. Literally the last minute of the game. The Eagles had a 3rd down on our 40 yard line and they picked up the easiest First down since kids starting playing in their backyard. McDs defense was playing ten yards off the line of scrimmage on a Third and Three. The receiver walked out, turned around, caught the ball and stepped out of bounds. I’d seen enough! Sheesh 

• Like (+1) 5

11 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Didn't one of the Eagles players (I forgot who it was) say he couldn't believe the Bills defense on the winning TD as the play is one of their favorites to run and the Bills should have been prepared for it. 

Yep, it was Jordan Mailata.

“After the game, Eagles offensive lineman Jordan Mailata said he “couldn’t believe” the Bills were caught in a defense that led to a walk-in touchdown for Hurts.

Speaking to reporters after the game, the veteran tackle said the Eagles offense knew immediately that they would score the game-clinching touchdown when they saw the Bills line up on defense.

“Jordan Mailata said on the game winning touchdown that he couldn’t believe the Bills gave them that look,” the NFL Network’s James Palmer shared on X, formerly known as Twitter. “That play is a staple within their offense and when they saw the safety move they all knew Jalen would score.”

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

McDermott seemed different in the weekly media sessions this week.  He seemed almost apologetic at times.  I'm sure he knows he is letting the team down as much as anyone.  

He knows he's a dead man walking. Even if we go 5-0; we aren't making the playoffs. He had his opportunity with a generational QB and he blew it. You give Dick Jauron, Josh Allen at QB and he's not missing the playoffs

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

Aside from :13

2022: loss @ NYJ (Wilson leads NYJ to late GW FG), VIkings debacle

2021: loss @ Titans (Tenn scores last 10 points, including winning TD with 3:05 left.  This was the "Allen slip" game), OT Loss at TB

2020: Hail Murray

2019: loss @ CLE

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So what you're saying is that Frazier's D was good and McD's is terrible?

The prior year's sample size must be small as Bills seldom were in pressure packed 2 minute drills, however in OT they always allow a score, hail murray too and others.

Remember stop vs. KC too.

2021 they were awful in one score games too.

Edited by Billsfan1972

Whatever McD's defensive "legacy" was with the Bills or previous teams has been blown up in my mind.  His defensive schemes, his crunch time decision making...Just sucks.  There's nothing more that can be said.   

You're supposed to be good at one thing Sean,  Defense, and you suck.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

That our defense is configured to play zone with almost no man capacity is sad…, that our DC plays CBs etc well off the line of scrimmage in clutch moments is as well sad, that he keeps getting his azs handed to him for doing it and not making adjustments takes the cake…, 

GO BILLS!!! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

Yeah I saw this as well, they knew the exact defense he was calling 0 coverage or something like that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Aside from :13

2022: loss @ NYJ (Wilson leads NYJ to late GW FG), VIkings debacle

2021: loss @ Titans (Tenn scores last 10 points, including winning TD with 3:05 left.  This was the "Allen slip" game), OT Loss at TB

2020: Hail Murray

2019: loss @ CLE

Come on! You cannot believe that the defense was the reason they lost that Minnesota game, a fluke loss, and ditto for the Hail Mary at Arizona--but I think the huge stretch to say these are the same kind of losses, overall, makes the point that Frazier's defenses held leads and were very consistent, reliable.

These are consistent types of losses this year, and all in the same year.  Yes, lack of their best linebacker, cornerback, and high level, vital D tackle may have a lot to do with it, but the defense's unique, late game break downs this year cannot be ignored--or compared to any other years under McD's leadership.

That being said, the defense is NOT the reason this team may be on the outside looking out for this year's playoffs. That is clearly, unequivocally on the weak pathetic shoulders of one man,  now gone.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.