McDermott's Two Minute Defense This Year vs Past Seasons

Scott7975

50 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Rodgers isn’t coming back & while I know anything can happen on any given week. If you look at the projected favorites of all the upcoming, even with the bills at 11-6; we would miss out.

But the projected favourites are all flawed teams and will lose games you think they should win. FWIW I don't think the Bills will win at KC, I don't think they will win out and I don't think they will make the playoffs from here. But if they DO win out I am 100% confident they would make it at 11-6. I think a 10 win team will make it in the AFC. Probably not us because of conference record though. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But the projected favourites are all flawed teams and will lose games you think they should win. FWIW I don't think the Bills will win at KC, I don't think they will win out and I don't think they will make the playoffs from here. But if they DO win out I am 100% confident they would make it at 11-6. I think a 10 win team will make it in the AFC. Probably not us because of conference record though. 

You are correct, we’d most likely make it since there are upsets every week. I could just see Josh go on an absolute tear and still miss because we couldn’t stop Mac Jones from driving down the field and scoring a TD with less than 2 minutes.

Edited by uticaclub

12 hours ago, FireChans said:

Will the Bills offense play as good as Geno Smith and the Seahawks? 

I think that offensively yes they will.   Frankly,  I think that we will play Dallas very similar to the Seattle game last night.  I will not be surprised if McClappy allows Dallas to drive down the field for a game winning score.  I mean really,  how many times are we going to do this?  McClappy is NOT going to change his defensive strategy,  particularly late in the game.  Our only chance of beating Dallas is that they struggle offensively due to the weather. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, JTown said:

I think that offensively yes they will.   Frankly,  I think that we will play Dallas very similar to the Seattle game last night.  I will not be surprised if McClappy allows Dallas to drive down the field for a game winning score.  I mean really,  how many times are we going to do this?  McClappy is NOT going to change his defensive strategy,  particularly late in the game.  Our only chance of beating Dallas is that they struggle offensively due to the weather. 

If the Bills played offense as well as they have been the last few weeks (since the end of Kenny boy), we probably would’ve have been competing for the one seed this season. Regardless of the defensive struggles.

Ken cost us the season. Sucks.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/29/2023 at 9:23 PM, Scott7975 said:

I seen these on twitter today.  Not sure if they have been posted somewhere here or not but I thought people would find them interesting

Who have been the closers on D? In my mind 
Matt Milano

TreD White

Von Miller 

Taron Johnson

Jordan Poyer 
Micah Hyde

Even Tremaine had some game ending stops

first two and last are gone, the third one is 1-legged, Taron has not had a good year and Poyer and Hyde look washed up. 

Save some splash plays from Ed and Bernard’s flashes, it’s a bunch or marginal talent. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Rodgers isn’t coming back & while I know anything can happen on any given week. If you look at the projected favorites of all the upcoming, even with the bills at 11-6; we would miss out.

The odds of the projected favorite winning every game are astronomically small. That is not a realistic way to predict anything.  Especially if they are a small favorite.  If you’re a 60/40 favorite in back to back games the odds of winning both of those games is 36%. Not to mention you’re looking at the favorites now when the favorites need to be re evaluated before each game.  For example browns may be the favorite over all those teams you mentioned now but if they go out and get destroyed next game that may not be the case 

I mean they activated his 21 day practice window.  And even if Rodgers doesn’t come back the browns and jets are both good defenses with terrible qbs.  It’s a pretty safe bet browns lose at least one of bears jets and bengals 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

19 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

They stopped the Miami defense and they have kept the Bills in almost every game this year.  The Bills are not in this position because of the defense, but because they had an  incompetent offensive coordinator who literally did not know what he was doing.

He is gone. Too late, yup, but there should be no questions now by all about what the problem was. 

I would love to bet you on that last assertion...  You think Dak Prescott at the Ralph,  the Bills with a two game winning streak on the line and a  playoff spot, is not only going to beat the Bills but beat up on them, dominate them?  

Strange that you have more confidence in a QB who cannot beat a good team in a meaningful situation if his life was on the line than a team that looks as good as any in the NFL right now.

What I think is the Bills offense can match almost any team in the league.   Look at the scores all season long.  I can very easily see a McClappy special allowing Dallas to march down the field for a winning score. 

I never said "beat up or dominate".  

I used the word ugly. ( I.e... 13 seconds = ugly, Philly game = ugly, Jets game = ugly, every overtime game in McClappys tenure= ugly, Patriots game = ugly).  

Let me know if you would like more examples of ugly games. 

IMO... the Bills should be 5-7 on the season as they were gifted a win by horrible officiating against the Giants.  

What two game winning streak are you referring to?

You think that the Bills are going into KC and winning on the road against Mahomes and a greatly improved KC defense when they have lost to the Jets, Patriots Jags, Denver, and Jax?

If so, let me get your plugs phone # cuz I need some of what you are smoking!

Look.  I am a Bills fanatic and I will always be.  Yes I would like them to dominate and with JA17, I believe that they can.   Unfortunately McClappy is navigating this titanic and he struck an iceberg during the AFCC against KC.  It just hasn't sunk yet.  But I do see people running for lifeboats.

Go Bills!

(McClappy seems like the type of Captain that will make sure that he has a seat in one of the lifeboats)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, FireChans said:

If the Bills played offense as well as they have been the last few weeks (since the end of Kenny boy), we probably would’ve have been competing for the one seed this season. Regardless of the defensive struggles.

Ken cost us the season. Sucks.

Yes he played a role in this season but I would argue that McClappy has cost us three consecutive seasons. 

Firing Dorsey was just another CYA move by McClappy akin to putting lipstick on a pig.

The issues this year are his defensive strategies at the end of games.   Unfortunately,  I believe the late game defensive woes will absolutely continue as they head into the hardest remaining stretch in the league. 

Go Bills!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, JTown said:

What I think is the Bills offense can match almost any team in the league.   Look at the scores all season long.  I can very easily see a McClappy special allowing Dallas to march down the field for a winning score. 

I never said "beat up or dominate".  

I used the word ugly. ( I.e... 13 seconds = ugly, Philly game = ugly, Jets game = ugly, every overtime game in McClappys tenure= ugly, Patriots game = ugly).  

Let me know if you would like more examples of ugly games. 

IMO... the Bills should be 5-7 on the season as they were gifted a win by horrible officiating against the Giants.  

What two game winning streak are you referring to?

You think that the Bills are going into KC and winning on the road against Mahomes and a greatly improved KC defense when they have lost to the Jets, Patriots Jags, Denver, and Jax?

If so, let me get your plugs phone # cuz I need some of what you are smoking!

Look.  I am a Bills fanatic and I will always be.  Yes I would like them to dominate and with JA17, I believe that they can.   Unfortunately McClappy is navigating this titanic and he struck an iceberg during the AFCC against KC.  It just hasn't sunk yet.  But I do see people running for lifeboats.

Go Bills!

(McClappy seems like the type of Captain that will make sure that he has a seat in one of the lifeboats)

What i don't get is McD is the HC I'm sure he was hreatly responsible for Dorsey's failure as he must review the game plan and probably was responsible for wanti.g Allento run less and the play design.

His comments about complimentary football were assinine.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

What i don't get is McD is the HC I'm sure he was hreatly responsible for Dorsey's failure as he must review the game plan and probably was responsible for wanti.g Allento run less and the play design.

His comments about complimentary football were assinine.

His comments about complementary football were completely correct. The offense puked on its shoes v the Giants, v Jax, v the Jets, v the Broncos and v the Pats.

If the offense was just competent in all of those games, we are 3-2 or 4-1 in those games instead of 1-4 and our season isn’t even close to being in danger. Instead, they were horrible 

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

I’m hoping for a Jim Lee Howell situation redux.  First step is to see if Brady is the real deal as OC. Hopefully, we’ll know by the end of the season. Second, hire a young aggressive DC who won’t play a soft zone at the end of one score games.  McDermott stays as HC.  

Who is Jim Lee Howell?  He was NY Giants HC during the late 50’s.  His DC was Tom Landry and his OC was Vince Lombardi!

19 minutes ago, FireChans said:

His comments about complementary football were completely correct. The offense puked on its shoes v the Giants, v Jax, v the Jets, v the Broncos and v the Pats.

If the offense was just competent in all of those games, we are 3-2 or 4-1 in those games instead of 1-4 and our season isn’t even close to being in danger. Instead, they were horrible 

Offense was fine v Jags v Pats

On 11/30/2023 at 10:47 AM, colin said:

mcd is simply a choker. 

It does sorta feel that way.

I feel he is overall a good coach. And we could do A LOT worse than McD.

But I worry how in crunch time it just… falls apart. 

Over and over and over again.

From Houston playoffs, to KC playoffs (13 seconds), to Arizona (Hail Murray), to NE, to Denver, to Philly, to Minnesota … even the Miami playoff game we barely held on after going up 17-0.

Seems like the only way we can win is to blow teams out. 

People mention all the greats that took a long time to put it together… Reid, Cowher, Belichick, etc.

But were those coaches losing games in the most asinine heartbreaking fashion like McD has? Am I simply forgetting the ways those coaches lost? Do any of those guys have all-time blunders like 13 seconds, for example?

It would make me feel a lot better if they do.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Offense had 7 and 10 points at 7 min left in the 4th and 5 min left in the 4th.

We average 27 PPG.

That's bad.

We lost those games more because of the defense 

We gave up 500 yards to the jags and allowed twice benched Mac Jones to go off 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.