Do you wonder if the league is fixed?

The Red King

4 minutes ago, OrangeBills said:

This is not as far-fetched as you would make it out to be.  It could be very simply about Franchise-values...simply put, if you bought something for $300m in 2000, and they came to you and noted that it will be worth $2-$3 BILLION in several years if you play along, I suspect owners will go along with it...

It could have been communicated very innocently.  "hey, owners, we know there is no more money, really, in in-stadium Revenue or value.  The tickets and seats aren't getting more expensive and the stadiums can't get bigger.  Instead, we are signing this MEGA contract with these Cable/Television networks (back then) that have gobs of money because idiot Americans just pay for cable bundles, but that's our ticket.   The ONLY thing they ask for is that we have appropriate, exciting matchups on TV at the right time.  This may mean we'll have to endeavor to ensure the "right" teams are on at the "right times" and the right teams are good, most of the time.  We'll give you a bone every so often, but by and large your job will be keep the masses appeased and collect huge dividends and see your franchise values erupt well above the debt used to purchase the Team"

Whether implicit or explicit the League could then orchestrate through various mechanisms outcomes they desired. 

Just spit-ballin' here 

So we have players who are wrecking their bodies for a conspiracy?  Coaches spends 16 hour days away from their families during football season for a conspiracy?

This theory basically means that all 32 owners over what, the last 20 or so years have ZERO competitiveness in them.  Not a single one cares about winning.

Because all of them have to buy in or this conspiracy doesn't work.

And then we have to start the "all of a sudden this owner died/GM died" conspiracies.

"They probably thought he was going to leak the conspiracy...that's why he's dead."

"Well I mean he had cancer."

"Yeah, that's what they'll tell you...."

20 minutes ago, OrangeBills said:

This is not as far-fetched as you would make it out to be.  It could be very simply about Franchise-values...simply put, if you bought something for $300m in 2000, and they came to you and noted that it will be worth $2-$3 BILLION in several years if you play along, I suspect owners will go along with it...

It could have been communicated very innocently.  "hey, owners, we know there is no more money, really, in in-stadium Revenue or value.  The tickets and seats aren't getting more expensive and the stadiums can't get bigger.  Instead, we are signing this MEGA contract with these Cable/Television networks (back then) that have gobs of money because idiot Americans just pay for cable bundles, but that's our ticket.   The ONLY thing they ask for is that we have appropriate, exciting matchups on TV at the right time.  This may mean we'll have to endeavor to ensure the "right" teams are on at the "right times" and the right teams are good, most of the time.  We'll give you a bone every so often, but by and large your job will be keep the masses appeased and collect huge dividends and see your franchise values erupt well above the debt used to purchase the Team"

Whether implicit or explicit the League could then orchestrate through various mechanisms outcomes they desired. 

Just spit-ballin' here 

The problem with that argument the NFL is so big that it makes very little difference financially who wins or are you saying a Jacksonville Carolina Super Bowl would collapse the NFL.  The risk-reward ratio is almost infinite.

Also most of the owners with a few exceptions made their money in other industries.  They have spent most of their lives being told how great they are.  They buy the team for ego as much as anything else.  Now you are saying a guy like David Tepper or Woody Johnson being perfectly fine with being regarded as idiots.

Finally, the owners don't behave like the games are fixed. If it was everybody would just be cash to the cap like Ralph was and definitely they wouldn't be signing coaches to long guaranteed contracts.

1 hour ago, 1onemangang7 said:

And my theory is draft kings and fanduel were pioneer fantasy hubs that were always meant as books. The fantasy Era hooked a lot of people and the bet the stats now in parlays for the hope of big scores

I don't think you need to be a conspiracy type to believe this. The courts opened up fantasy betting as legal, and Fan Duel and Draft Kings completed like hell to grab market share in anticipation of all sports gambling being legalized.

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I don't think you need to be a conspiracy type to believe this. The courts opened up fantasy betting as legal, and Fan Duel and Draft Kings completed like hell to grab market share in anticipation of all sports gambling being legalized.

Right. Conspiracy theorists is a blanket term now.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

The problem with that argument the NFL is so big that it makes very little difference financially who wins or are you saying a Jacksonville Carolina Super Bowl would collapse the NFL.  The risk-reward ratio is almost infinite.

Also most of the owners with a few exceptions made their money in other industries.  They have spent most of their lives being told how great they are.  They buy the team for ego as much as anything else.  Now you are saying a guy like David Tepper or Woody Johnson being perfectly fine with being regarded as idiots.

Finally, the owners don't behave like the games are fixed. If it was everybody would just be cash to the cap like Ralph was and definitely they wouldn't be signing coaches to long guaranteed contracts.

Just imagine being someone like Mark Schelerth who had 29 surgeries in his career to support a conspiracy.

Daryl Talley can't stand for more than 15 minutes....he did this for a conspiracy?

Incredible amount of money towards CTE research for a fixed game?

36 minutes ago, 1onemangang7 said:

https://clesportstalk.com/rigged-nfl-its-not-just-the-refs-the-professional-actor-players-are-in-on-it-too/

someone would say something. How would so many stay quiet. Dont open it if you donr wanna know. 

Now when this guy says be knew every play it's cause Gruden played Gannon in practice. He just reacted.

You'll know the league is fixed if the Chiefs get to a superbowl (and win it) again this year.

The reason I say this is because there's a lot of chatter that the NFL was going out of there way to give the illusion of 'screwing the chiefs' going back the Eagles game when they came out of their bye week. We also know about the infamous Koney Offside call against the Bills and a very questionable non pass interference call the week before in Green Bay.

But now that the playoffs are here I would watch closely regarding crucial calls swinging back in the chiefs favor because I just don't see any scenario in which the NFL doesn't want the Chiefs and Mahomes in the AFCCG again at minimum, especially a Ravens/Chiefs one. So if the Bills were to face the Chiefs again in the playoffs, likely the WC or divisional round, I honestly dread what the officiating would look like in that one.

5 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

You'll know the league is fixed if the Chiefs get to a superbowl (and win it) again this year.

The reason I say this is because there's a lot of chatter that the NFL was going out of there way to give the illusion of 'screwing the chiefs' going back the Eagles game when they came out of their bye week. We also know about the infamous Koney Offside call against the Bills and a very questionable non pass interference call the week before in Green Bay.

But now that the playoffs are here I would watch closely regarding crucial calls swinging back in the chiefs favor because I just don't see any scenario in which the NFL doesn't want the Chiefs and Mahomes in the AFCCG again at minimum, especially a Ravens/Chiefs one. So if the Bills were to face the Chiefs again in the playoffs, likely the WC or divisional round, I honestly dread what the officiating would look like in that one.

Interesting. Definitely the bandwagon isn't where you wanna be. They shook em all off of kc Dallas and Miami. Trick or treat who knows but I'd think Kelces gf is gonna get some more highlights. They buried AL Michael's for her.

I was mad as hell when Buffalo wouldn't pressure the gimpy Mahomes. Two weeks to heal and the Bucs were all over him and Brady wins again.

48 minutes ago, 1onemangang7 said:

Interesting. Definitely the bandwagon isn't where you wanna be. They shook em all off of kc Dallas and Miami. Trick or treat who knows but I'd think Kelces gf is gonna get some more highlights. They buried AL Michael's for her.

I was mad as hell when Buffalo wouldn't pressure the gimpy Mahomes. Two weeks to heal and the Bucs were all over him and Brady wins again.

For better or worse, the Chiefs/Mahomes are the new Patriots/Brady even though I still hate the Mahomes/Brady comparisons at least at this stage of Mahomes career.

But I've said all along, I want no part of the Chiefs again in the playoffs because we all know how it ended the last time they faced eachother in a postseason rematch despite the Bills winning the regular season matchup. Chiefs offense clearly not the same this year but that defense is bar far the best in the NFL and certainly good enough to carry them to another championship this year.

3 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

as fun as this is, the truth is that if the league was fixed the Bills would have won a Super Bowl 

As Dwight Smith down played the ability ofTom Brady and interjected with none other than Jim Kelly, "the kicker missed the kick". Jimbo well respected among his peers

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So we have players who are wrecking their bodies for a conspiracy?  Coaches spends 16 hour days away from their families during football season for a conspiracy?

This theory basically means that all 32 owners over what, the last 20 or so years have ZERO competitiveness in them.  Not a single one cares about winning.

Because all of them have to buy in or this conspiracy doesn't work.

And then we have to start the "all of a sudden this owner died/GM died" conspiracies.

"They probably thought he was going to leak the conspiracy...that's why he's dead."

"Well I mean he had cancer."

"Yeah, that's what they'll tell you...."

Replace the word "conspiracy" in your reply with "Money", and yes. That's exactly it. 

On 12/6/2023 at 12:34 AM, just1hugheser said:

not necessarily, think about it, the bills were supposed to be a contender this season right?  well they just took one of the best teams in the nfl to overtime at their house and were whipping them in the first half, then they lose in overtime after the miscommunication(lol) between josh and gabe and the defense literally lets them walk straight down the field(see orlovskys critique of that drive, short pass to the boundary short pass to the boundary short pass to the boundary like 5 plays ina row).  Now the Bills are in turmoil but are still good enough to play with the best in the league, I would almost guarantee that the Bills either win out or essentially lose out; we'll know this sunday against KC who also is supposedly not as good this year.  Guarantee KC loses to Buffalo to keep us in it and grow doubts about KC then we beat the cowboys and the chargers and if they want us in the playoffs we'll beat the pats and miami, or we'll beat the pats and lose to miami,  it keeps everyone involved while also supporting their other narratives while still allowing them to be flexible.

On 12/6/2023 at 12:46 AM, just1hugheser said:

denver got a lil run to make them relevant and to bring up the question of sean payton and his abilities, chargers will charger because brandon staley will be fired at the end of the year and then the chargers will be on the up and up with a sexy franchise qb and huge tv market.  Philly looks like its not invincible, kc looks like they are regressing, baltimore will be right there, the jags with trevor, houston with cj will make it, miami and/or buffalo will make it depending on if they want cleveland, pittsburgh, indy, or the broncos to make it, based on qbs and coaches id put the bills in front to get the 6th spot but if watson comes back to cleveland or tomlin or payton become the stories then their teams will make it in plus payton still has russ so id put it buffalo, denver, pitt to be likeliest to make the playoffs, guarantee the fins, ravens, chiefs and jags win their divisions then houston guaranteed one wild card with cj and buffalo likeliest to get the last spot and with that narrative of getting hot at the right time and everything with damar last year and all that coaching stuff with mcD they could decide to grease our path the super bowl in a re-match with philly or against san fran, either way we get crushed in the super bowl if they decide on that narrative to philly or san fran

***** save this post and re-visit in the following weeks so we can review the narrative*****

Pretty well done... 2nd post has a lot of couching in it but the first one was bang on lol

Hope you put some money on it!

Edited by section122
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So this league is fixed then?  Pegula doesn't care about a Super Bowl...he just wants money.

Players would obviously never go along with it lol even for the money they aren't destroying there bodies for a farce 

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So this league is fixed then?  Pegula doesn't care about a Super Bowl...he just wants money.

No, money is always the ultimate motivating factor so I could see a way that would work against your point of "guys are getting injured" as a factor against it being rigged.

I'm not under the impression the entire league is fixed down to every play call...but I'm open to the idea the league influences outcomes based on scheduling, referee assignments and calls, etc...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

No, money is always the ultimate motivating factor so I could see a way that would work against your point of "guys are getting injured" as a factor against it being rigged.

I'm not under the impression the entire league is fixed down to every play call...but I'm open to the idea the league influences outcomes based on scheduling, referee assignments and calls, etc...

That only applies to the stars.  What if you're a guy that plays 1 season, makes $300,000 once and then can never play again?  Have a knee injury so severe that you limp the rest of your life starting at age 22.  Those guys are signing up for that?

So the 1% are the only ones who benefit from the league being "rigged".

56 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That only applies to the stars.  What if you're a guy that plays 1 season, makes $300,000 once and then can never play again?  Have a knee injury so severe that you limp the rest of your life starting at age 22.  Those guys are signing up for that?

So the 1% are the only ones who benefit from the league being "rigged".

They obviously aren't signing up for that, and that's obviously not how this would work if it was rigged. Nobody could event predict or plan that. 

I'd guess most of the players wouldnt even be aware of a "rigged" scheme if it even existed at all. 

I know I've contributed to this convo out of the sake of discussing and analyzing, but the thought that it could actually be true would make me not even want to watch anymore. I'm sick of everything right now. Nothing can just be fun anymore without money and corruption sneaking in. Be it the case here or not. Just the fact that paranoia lingers over everything makes it tonight to enjoy life anymore. Sorry if this sounds dark but whatever nothing I can do about it. 

17 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I know I've contributed to this convo out of the sake of discussing and analyzing, but the thought that it could actually be true would make me not even want to watch anymore. I'm sick of everything right now. Nothing can just be fun anymore without money and corruption sneaking in. Be it the case here or not. Just the fact that paranoia lingers over everything makes it tonight to enjoy life anymore. Sorry if this sounds dark but whatever nothing I can do about it. 

The world is full of people overcomplicating things they don't make sense to them.  

4 hours ago, ALLinALLEN said:

They obviously aren't signing up for that, and that's obviously not how this would work if it was rigged. Nobody could event predict or plan that. 

I'd guess most of the players wouldnt even be aware of a "rigged" scheme if it even existed at all. 

well...who WOULD be aware?  The coaches?  The owners?

and why would you be "open to the idea" this is going on?

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

well...who WOULD be aware?  The coaches?  The owners?

and why would you be "open to the idea" this is going on?

It wouldn't shock me if the owners were aware. Not an outright "this is the superbowl winner and playoff teams" fix. But I like the points made by @The Red King and @OrangeBills made earlier in here. 

I'm open to the idea that beliefs and truths are not always as they seem - and pro sports are not immune to that. There was never a question of cheating in the NBA and then it came out a Ref was fixing games....That's obviously a MUCH smaller scale than the NFL being fixed. But there's examples everywhere. Remember a year or two ago that NHL ref that got caught on a hot mic saying "there wasnt much there but I wanted to call a penalty on Nashville early". 

I'm just saying if in 10 years or whatever, there was proof of the NFL having a hand in outcomes of games, I wouldn't be shocked or surprised. 

This doesn't mean I watch Bills games and shout "THE LEAGUE IS FIXED" when the Bills don't win. I'm just open to that possibility. 

There's actually a few really good books I've read on the matter (sort of). Scorecasting, This Is Your Brain On Sports, and The Fix Is In....all great reads. The Ref's point influencing calls is actually really surprising in Scorecasting. Would recommend.

Edited by ALLinALLEN
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm not going to say it's fixed, but I would have to say yea to this. To a degree. This is his business. He's making a ton of money off a fan base that has been loyal win or lose. A super bowl of course would be a party for him, but he's a business man. He bought the team to make money. 

Edited by Goin Breakdown
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I'm. It going to say it's fixed, but I would have to say yea to this. To a degree. This is his business. He's making a ton of money off a fan base that has been loyal win or lose. A super bowl of course would be a party for him, but he's a business man. He bought the team to make money. 

As almost every big 3 sports owner is. $$$. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, ALLinALLEN said:

It wouldn't shock me if the owners were aware. Not an outright "this is the superbowl winner and playoff teams" fix. But I like the points made by @The Red King and @OrangeBills made earlier in here. 

I'm open to the idea that beliefs and truths are not always as they seem - and pro sports are not immune to that. There was never a question of cheating in the NBA and then it came out a Ref was fixing games....That's obviously a MUCH smaller scale than the NFL being fixed. But there's examples everywhere. Remember a year or two ago that NHL ref that got caught on a hot mic saying "there wasnt much there but I wanted to call a penalty on Nashville early". 

I'm just saying if in 10 years or whatever, there was proof of the NFL having a hand in outcomes of games, I wouldn't be shocked or surprised. 

This doesn't mean I watch Bills games and shout "THE LEAGUE IS FIXED" when the Bills don't win. I'm just open to that possibility. 

There's actually a few really good books I've read on the matter (sort of). Scorecasting, This Is Your Brain On Sports, and The Fix Is In....all great reads. The Ref's point influencing calls is actually really surprising in Scorecasting. Would recommend.

what would be the incentive for one owner to allow a handful of owner have the most success (NE, Philly, KC, for example).  A SB win brings tons of extra cash to an owner through sales, etc.

and of course refs can alter the outcome of a game--name a pro sport where they don't/can't?  if they are influenced by outsiders, that's a problem.  any claims that they are being told to alter games by "the league" have never made any sense what so ever.  people need to create conspiracies to help them deal with a reality that they don't like or accept.

9 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

they want us to win the division.  Gereat tv ratings.  much better than phish.  enjoy...

Idk. Nobody thinks Miami can win and we are probably already in before the game kicks unless they wanna make sure Sunday night is for all the marbles. KC in the superbowl would mean the most watched event ever with swifties doubling it up. Whoever goes to kc is in trouble 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/26/2023 at 11:47 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The problem with fixing anything is keeping people quiet. You’d need thousands of people to stay quiet. It’s not happening. Thats why I don’t believe it’s possible. 

Heck, look what happened to Michigan. When too many people know about something it’ll always get out.

It's been getting out for years. Everyone laughs off not only what they see but what they hear. But they'll buy into masks or epstein. 

• Dislike 1

On 12/19/2023 at 1:52 PM, peterpan said:

OK so we know it's not Baltimore and San Fran. So possibly Baltimore is out. At any rate Bills an overlay to the Ravens. Even women that ask you who's winning? Who's playing are aware of the color poster now.

Just now, 1onemangang7 said:

But they'll buy into masks

because an abundance of caution was indicated for a novel virus?

Just now, 1onemangang7 said:

It's been getting out for years. Everyone laughs off not only what they see but what they hear. 

sounds like American politics.....

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.