What more can Allen do?

ToGoGo

The kind of team McD wants (in his image)and the kind of team the Bills need to be if they are going to go with their best shot (Allen) are very different. If I had to then choose between McD and Allen? Nuff said. If Pegs wants to burden us with McD for the foreseeable future I almost hope Allen goes to another team when his contract is up so that he can have the kind of career he deserves to have.

Not turn the ball over. 

And I'm not trying to be a smart ass either. As great as he was, he's got to stop throwing INTs. 8 straight games with a pick is not normal for elite QBs.

No, he's not the reason we lost last night. But you asked a serious question, and that's my serious answer.

Even with the INT it was Allen who led a drive to give them the lead late in the 4th quarter. Maybe the defense can step just once in a big spot, and we are 7-5 today if they did. Even if Allen leads the league in INT's, he also is the league leader in total TD's. 

What can he do? Evolve as a leader and start holding others accountable. We've all heard the stories of the fun big kid next door that leads by example. We don't need Allen to have a cape, he needs a stick.

Josh Allen clearly:

1) Puts his body on the line to win

2) Stands up for teammates in ways most QBs don't (i.e. Williams play in Giants game)

3) Holds himself personally accountable

What's not clear is if he is holding his teammates accountable? Fans can't know if Davis keeps screwing up (but Josh does), and if he is, I want Josh to get in his face. While conventional wisdom says that should mostly occur behind closed doors sometime the moment dictates that it be on the sideline. Between McClappy and Josh this team's leadership style appears on the surface to lack accountability. When you look at some of the most iconic QBs to play the game, once they were 5 years plus into their careers they held players accountable on the field (Brady, Manning, etc...). Monday morning accountability means not adjusting to the game in real time. 

Josh's play is not the problem (certainly not yesterday), where he can improve is in taken full control of holding the offense and the team overall accountable. My hope is he gets so sick of losing that he adopts a more assertive leadership style next year. Anyone that has a problem (ala Diggs) can STFU and get in line with Allen's way.

Give him full control on the field (excluding play calling). I hate (and I mean hate) Tom Brady, but you have to admire how he controlled his offenses and got after guys that were not on their assignments. This team is politically correct and says all the right things (one game at a time, trust the process, personal accountability...), it's time for Allen to start getting in people's faces.

Edited by Ballhawk

14 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

Serious question. 

Hit the ***** GAME WINNING TD PASS TO A WIDE OPEN WR?! Maybe it was more Gabe's fault, but holy ***** put some air under it and let him find it in the back of the endzone. I'm the biggest Josh defender there is, he was in God-mode, but he had a chance to finish the game and he didn't. Offenses making plays win games like that, not defenses getting stops.

14 hours ago, Wizard said:

Not much. With that said, yes, he was solid today. Still, all-time great QB's are clutch. Allen is like Marino, Favre, and Rodgers. Amazing tools but somehow (even when he plays well), his team most of the time can't put the whole thing together for 80% of key losses. Today was an 80% loss game with Allen failing to make a few key passes.

This is so stupid 

the kid won 4 friggin games this year his head coach gave away!!!!!!!

45 minutes ago, 1onemangang7 said:

You're one of the entertainment lovers who adore Beanes drafts cause he gave you Cook. There's two kinds of Bills fans. Those that want to win and then those that like to watch Allen carry the team.

I'm just not stuck on Cook.  Yes, they need WR's, and a coach, and to get younger on defense.

34 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Even with the INT it was Allen who led a drive to give them the lead late in the 4th quarter. Maybe the defense can step just once in a big spot, and we are 7-5 today if they did. Even if Allen leads the league in INT's, he also is the league leader in total TD's. 

They stepped up big the entire first half, dominating an elite offense on the road. The offense (Cook, Bass) ***** the bed and failed to build the lead that the defense deserved. So much focus on the end of the game reeks of recency bias and is unserious.

Just now, BrettFavre said:

They stepped up big the entire first half, dominating an elite offense on the road. The offense (Cook, Bass) ***** the bed and failed to build the lead that the defense deserved. So much focus on the end of the game reeks of recency bias and is unserious.

That is a fair point. But when it came down to crunch time the Bills offense got them the lead late in the 4th quarter and the defense failed to step up at the most important time. Even in OT they had the lead and failed again. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

That is a fair point. But when it came down to crunch time the Bills offense got them the lead late in the 4th quarter and the defense failed to step up at the most important time. Even in OT they had the lead and failed again. 

I guess? The defense also forced a punt to give us the ball before our TD drive, after our offense went 4 and out and an interception the two drives before that.

Games like that are won by offenses making winning plays. Defenses don't have much say in the end. Josh and Gabe missed their winning shot, simple as that.

• Like (+1) 1

nothing more he could  Offense put up points in the pouring rain on the road and being asked to kill clock by their head coach the final drives on early downs putting them in third and longs which they made.  Special teams laid a huge egg and the defense again didnt come up with stops when asked. McDermott clearly still values his defense more than  Josh.  Proof is killing the clock with 20 seconds left in the game and opting for OT instead of giving his offense the go ahead to at least try to hit a big gain and have a chance at a FG attempt to win He clearly decides this before they even get the ball by wasting time outs "icing" the kicker  Which you would think after Denver he would not do again  Why not let the eagles have to rush their unit on for a 59 yarder in the rain.  I'm sorry but our head coach is not a smart man and that is that

15 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Mahomes threw a pick to lose in OT in the AFC Championship in 2022.

And I’m sure he was criticized for it.  He then won the SB/ MVP they traded maybe the best receiver in the nfl the next year. 

Allen wins one SB, there is zero criticism when he throws a int in a regular season game. Again, he is amazing and you hate to neuter him in anyway. But the turnovers have been the one ***** in his armor. That was still probably my favorite Allen game of his career. He deserved that W. 

• Eyeroll 1

9 minutes ago, BrettFavre said:

I guess? The defense also forced a punt to give us the ball before our TD drive, after our offense went 4 and out and an interception the two drives before that.

Games like that are won by offenses making winning plays. Defenses don't have much say in the end. Josh and Gabe missed their winning shot, simple as that.

McDermott is in charge of the defense if at the end of the game you decide to kick the field goal instead of going for it to get the game winning TD then you need to get the ***** STOP! You've decided to put the game in the hands of your defense to either win it by not letting them get a FG or holding them to a FG for a tie or to get a shot with the ball again to win. You make that decision it's on you and it's on the defense.

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

McDermott is in charge of the defense if at the end of the game you decide to kick the field goal instead of going for it to get the game winning TD then you need to get the ***** STOP! You've decided to put the game in the hands of your defense to either win it by not letting them get a FG or holding them to a FG for a tie or to get a shot with the ball again to win. You make that decision it's on you and it's on the defense.

None of what you wrote exists if Josh and Gabe hit the game-winning pass.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

And I’m sure he was criticized for it.  He then won the SB/ MVP they traded maybe the best receiver in the nfl the next year. 

Allen wins one SB, there is zero criticism when he throws a int in a regular season game. Again, he is amazing and you hate to neuter him in anyway. But the turnovers have been the one ***** in his armor. That was still probably my favorite Allen game of his career. He deserved that W. 

Mahomes had 2 INTs in his first Super Bowl win.

I was gonna say play Line Backer.  Because this defense needs some serious help.  

That’s the problem going forward.   We’ve drafted primarily defense for years… and now they’re old and washed out.  Time to draft more defensive players, while we rely on Josh to be the only playmaker on offense.  

1 minute ago, BrettFavre said:

None of what you wrote exists if Josh and Gabe hit the game-winning pass.

None of what you wrote exists if McDermott gets a ***** stop after Allen and the offense got the lead at the end in the 4th quarter. Hell maybe it wouldn't if he'd let the offense try and get the ***** team into FG range with 20 seconds and timeout we had left to do it.

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Mahomes had 2 INTs in his first Super Bowl win.

Cool. He also threw 5 ints all year and won the game. Brady threw ints in his SBs.  Mahomes also lost a game 54-51. Not sure what any of these points mean. 

Are you trying to say Allen is better than Mahomes? Or are you somehow arguing that Allen gets more criticism than Mahomes, because of course he does. 

Just now, Warcodered said:

None of what you wrote exists if McDermott gets a ***** stop after Allen and the offense got the lead at the end in the 4th quarter. Hell maybe it wouldn't if he'd let the offense try and get the ***** team into FG range with 20 seconds and timeout we had left to do it.

The defense got a stop to get the ball back for our TD after the offense ***** the bed two straight possessions in the 4th.

Teams always get a field goal try after a TD in scenarios like that. The fact that he made it was insane. I didn't like us wasting so much time on our TD drive because of the inevitability that we'd get the ball back, tied, like we did with only 20 left.

People are acting like this was a shootout that went back and forth scoring every possession. The defense did more than enough to win in the first half and at points in the second. They were never going to shut down Hurts for an entire game. The offense leaving 20 points on the board was the killer.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Cool. He also threw 5 ints all year and won the game. Brady threw ints in his SBs.  Mahomes also lost a game 54-51. Not sure what any of these points mean. 

Are you trying to say Allen is better than Mahomes? Or are you somehow arguing that Allen gets more criticism than Mahomes, because of course he does. 

My point was nothing you said ***** mattered, you said would Mahomes have thrown a pick at a critical time, yeah he's done it, but Super Bowls, well he's thrown picks then too, so maybe that wasn't such a great point after all.

25 minutes ago, BrettFavre said:

The defense got a stop to get the ball back for our TD after the offense ***** the bed two straight possessions in the 4th.

Teams always get a field goal try after a TD in scenarios like that. The fact that he made it was insane. I didn't like us wasting so much time on our TD drive because of the inevitability that we'd get the ball back, tied, like we did with only 20 left.

People are acting like this was a shootout that went back and forth scoring every possession. The defense did more than enough to win in the first half and at points in the second. They were never going to shut down Hurts for an entire game. The offense leaving 20 points on the board was the killer.

No they don't, that's asinine get a ***** stop. The offense leaving points on the board is a narrative because we saw plays that should have been made which ***** hurt, without that we would have just said our Offense stalled occasionally while still managing to put up 17 while getting ganked by the officiating. You know what they didn't do they didn't disappear for essentially an entire half the game.

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

No they don't, that's asinine get a ***** stop. The offense leaving points on the board is a narrative because we saw plays that should have been made which ***** hurt, without that we would have just said our Offense stalled occasionally while still managing to put up 17 while getting ganked by the officiating. You know what they didn't do they didn't disappear for essentially an entire half the game.

Maybe not an entire half, just the most important moments of the game.

11 hours ago, SCBills said:

The Allen we saw today is the best QB in the NFL.   Don’t say “but Mahomes”… don’t care -  that version of Allen is better than anyone.

His issue is consistency.  Mahomes is more consistently good.   Which is part of why they are playoff bound.. but also,

he has the HC piece in place.  We dont.  

Allen knows he has to be perfect in every big game, otherwise our HC can sabotage it for us.  

Allen threw one pick.  One mistake on him.  And we lost a one score game in OT.. because of our HC. 

Scoring a TD when you have the ball first in OT would’ve helped as well. Clutch teams do that to end games. This team can’t. 

7 minutes ago, BrettFavre said:

Maybe not an entire half, just the most important moments of the game.

No essentially an entire half going from the 2nd half on they scored on 5/7 drives. Hell since we're counting the one drive in OT if you lop off the first drive in the 2nd half it then becomes 5/6. You want to blame the offense for missing on some points which yeah that hurt, but the defense got on the plane early.

Just now, 90sBills said:

Scoring a TD when you have the ball first in OT would’ve helped as well. Clutch teams do that to end games. This team can’t. 

Agreed - Although it sounds like the read based on the look given by the defense was to where Allen threw it.. which was for a game winning TD.   Gabe didn't read the look the same way and ran the route as called.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Having witnessed the chiefs do it to us not once but twice with 13 seconds left. Just unbelievably dumb coaching decision. Tail between his legs. 

Chiefs also scored a TD to end the game in OT when they had the ball first. Bills got the ball first in this game and crap the bed as usual. But yeah clutch generational blah blah. 

16 hours ago, Wizard said:

Not much. With that said, yes, he was solid today. Still, all-time great QB's are clutch. Allen is like Marino, Favre, and Rodgers. Amazing tools but somehow (even when he plays well), his team most of the time can't put the whole thing together for 80% of key losses. Today was an 80% loss game with Allen failing to make a few key passes.

So unfair. Your team wins and everything is rosy. Your team loses, even if you play like a HOF inductee, someone will always, without fail, find something you did wrong. Mahomes won Super Bowl MVP after a mediocre performance that would have been roundly condemned if his team had lost. "A few key passes" means if he had played a better game than any QB in the history of the game. What a loser!

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Agreed - Although it sounds like the read based on the look given by the defense was to where Allen threw it.. which was for a game winning TD.   Gabe didn't read the look the same way and ran the route as called.  

100% on Davis there. Couldn’t believe he turned out on that route. Allen put it where it should be. Game was lost right there. 

6 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

No essentially an entire half going from the 2nd half on they scored on 5/7 drives. Hell since we're counting the one drive in OT if you lop off the first drive in the 2nd half it then becomes 5/6. You want to blame the offense for missing on some points which yeah that hurt, but the defense got on the plane early.

Ok and the got off the plane late? Missed numerous chances to run up the score in the first half, only got to 17 because the D gave it right back with a fumble recovery. The defense in the first half was the best phase of our game, no question. Dominated an elite unit.

Second half was 2/5 scores, no idea where you're getting 5/7.

MISSED FG

TOUCHDOWN

INTERCEPTION

PUNT

TOUCHDOWN

2 minutes ago, finn said:

Mahomes won Super Bowl MVP after a mediocre performance that would have been roundly condemned if his team had lost. "A few key passes" means if he had played a better game than any QB in the history of the game. What a loser!

Yeah 2nd half performance of 13/14 completions with 2 TDs and a game sealing run on a bum ankle to win the Superbowl. So mediocre. What a loser. 

5 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

100% on Davis there. Couldn’t believe he turned out on that route. Allen put it where it should be. Game was lost right there. 

Agreed, but you don't think Josh could/should have put a little more air under it and "straightened it out" so whichever way Gabe turned he could have run under it? I still can't believe we missed that play, it's the only play I really care about from the game.

4 minutes ago, BrettFavre said:

Agreed, but you don't think Josh could/should have put a little more air under it and "straightened it out" so whichever way Gabe turned he could have run under it? I still can't believe we missed that play, it's the only play I really care about from the game.

He could but I think the rush was on and he had to get rid of it. I’m critical of Allen but that wasn’t on him. Just my observation watching that play. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Josh is a legend and is on track to be a hall of famer.

He got robbed of a SB in 2021 and continues to get held back by moronic coaching 

Right… robbed of a superbowl.

recap of the 2021 theft….

lost to the team that lost to the team that lost to the superbowl champ. 

Pretty insidious plot to steal the win 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.