MNF Eagles @ Chiefs Game Thread

Process

3 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Had the Bills not lost to the Broncos the #1 seed would be in play for sure.

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And Pats 

Look, we can b-i-t-c-h and moan about what could've/should've been, or we can deal with what lies ahead.  The Bills know they put themselves in this position, so what are their realistic chances going forward?

My takeaway from this NFL weekend is that nobody looks unbeatable and the Bills played the most complete overall game of any contender.

I'm not thinking about seeding, I'm thinking about simply getting in the dance.  10 wins should do that, which means winning 4 of the last 6.

@Philly -- I just saw the line and it's only Philly -3.  Essentially a pick'em.

@KC -- as vulnerable as they have been over the past 5 years.

Dallas -- who trusts the Cowboys on the road in December?  Bills will likely be favored.

@Chargers -- probably a 50/50 crowd, against another underperforming team.  Bills will likely be favored.

Pats*** -- eff these guys.  There won't be a letdown this time.

@Fish -- could be for the division, could be for seeding.  Miami isn't scaring anyone right now and they still haven't beaten a team with a winning record.

If I'm handicapping it I give the Bills about a 50-50 shot to win at least 4.

• Like (+1) 3

Some thoughts after last nights game:

- I thought the Chiefs were going to blow out the Eagles and looked like they were well on their way at halftime, but they are still the prohibitive AFC favorite and likely SB favorite because that defense is hands down #1 in NFL and historically going to be one of best of all time when it's said and done.

- I think the Bills now have a decent shot of the upset next week because the Eagles are going to be somewhat emotionally/physically/mentally spent after this game.

- I don't think this was a preview of the SB, one of these teams will fail to get there (likely the Eagles).

By the looks of what little bit i saw of the game last night Mahomes is having some of the same issues as Josh when it comes to over throws & misses .

If the Bills can keep the mistakes (and injuries) down like they did against the Jets i'd say they can beat the Eagles . 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

Look, we can b-i-t-c-h and moan about what could've/should've been, or we can deal with what lies ahead.  The Bills know they put themselves in this position, so what are their realistic chances going forward?

My takeaway from this NFL weekend is that nobody looks unbeatable and the Bills played the most complete overall game of any contender.

I'm not thinking about seeding, I'm thinking about simply getting in the dance.  10 wins should do that, which means winning 4 of the last 6.

Dallas -- who trusts the Cowboys on the road in December?  Bills will likely be favored.

@Chargers -- probably a 50/50 crowd, against another underperforming team.  Bills will likely be favored.

@Fish -- could be for the division, could be for seeding.  Miami isn't scaring anyone right now and they still haven't beaten a team with a winning record.

We never do anything the easy way.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, T master said:

By the looks of what little bit i saw of the game last night Mahomes is having some of the same issues as Josh when it comes to over throws & misses .

If the Bills can keep the mistakes (and injuries) down like they did against the Jets i'd say they can beat the Eagles . 

Travis Kelce is also having butter fingers trying to run first when trying to catch.  Eagles should not be underrated however.

14 hours ago, AlfaBill said:

It hit his outstretched  hands while he was almost in a dive. With the rain. 
may he should’ve caught it but it wasn’t a gimme. Kermit should have put some arc on that 

It's crazy how the Chiefs have mind ***** this fanbase so hard that posters actually believe things like this. 🤣

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, eball said:

Funny thing is the Bills can easily win them all if they don't play braindead like they have been.

Can they win them all if they turned the corner? Who knows. 

But if they fail, they can only blame themselves for failing to get to the playoffs. 

On 11/20/2023 at 10:40 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

@Zerovoltz  "The Bills need less good receivers" thread might be the worst TSW thread of 2023.    Receivers REALLY matter.   The Chiefs may still win the SB because their D is kicking a$$ and Mahomes is still the best.........but this year their unwillingness to risk it and sign Hopkins has left them with a bunch of ball droppers running around out everywhere.    Mahomes has to be pulling his hair out.   MVS dropped a TD that probably wins this game and Watson dropped multiple passes including the 4th down pass that ended it for KC.    

...I stand by my post for the reasons outlined in that post...but my GOD...the group KC has can't run routes, can't catch a cold...can't hold on the the ball if they do catch it.  (sorry to repsond to this late...haven't logged into TBD for a bit)

• Haha (+1) 1

On 11/21/2023 at 7:03 PM, njbuff said:

Funny thing is the Bills can easily win them all if they don't play braindead like they have been.

Can they win them all if they turned the corner? Who knows. 

But if they fail, they can only blame themselves for failing to get to the playoffs. 

People often say that there can't be a collective "flipping of the switch" on a team's season.  We should all hope for the 2023 Bills to be an example to the contrary.  In his first press conference as OC, Joe Brady used an interesting metaphor--"You shouldn't wait until the house is on fire to check the smoke detectors."  This is a cryptic thing to say that invites speculation.  My thought is that he was talking about how they were coaching during practices.  The "braindead" play has  created a crisis but had some connection to their practice habits.  Maybe that's the switch to flip.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

...I stand by my post for the reasons outlined in that post...but my GOD...the group KC has can't run routes, can't catch a cold...can't hold on the the ball if they do catch it.  (sorry to repsond to this late...haven't logged into TBD for a bit)

You can double down on being wrong if you'd like...........but I think your premise has already proven very ill conceived.

When you don't have a second option who can step up it changes everything for an offense nowadays.    It's not just in KC,  it's happening all over the league in places where they don't have a good WR2 type option.

You are just going thru your first experience with not having a reliable second option during the Mahomes era...........because KC was actually out in front of the trend of surrounding their QB with high quality targets when they went out and signed Sammy Watkins to be their WR1 even though they already had two 1,000 yard receivers in Hill and Kelce.........then they drafted Hardman thinking he'd become a WR1 or WR2 type.  

It finally dwindled down to Juju as the second option in 2022 while they waited for Moore and Toney to develop............but Juju has already proven that he can put up WR1 type production with a top QB when he is healthy and focused.    And he did, with top 30 counting and efficiency stats for the Chiefs in 2022.   

As soon as MVS or Watson had to step up into that 2nd option spot you started seeing the same kind of inconsistency that the Bills have had with the very similar Gabe Davis.

The Chiefs have invested early round draft chips/value in Moore, Rice and Toney so I know it's not the exact same situation as the Bills,  who previous to drafting Kincaid hadn't invested anything significant in a receiving target since trading for Diggs in 2020 and drafting Zay Jones and trading for Kelvin Benjamin in 2017 prior to that............but the bottom line is that if you don't have that quality of play from your second receiving option it really matters.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 11/21/2023 at 11:15 AM, eball said:

Oh f*ck.

The dreaded @eball kiss of death.

Haven't you learned anything from your "4-2" thread?..........let alone the countless terrible takes you've had prior to that over the years? :doh:

One game at a time, eeebs.   You can't hope to break down a schedule now anymore than you could have when it looked like easy wins over NE, Giants, Tampa, Denver etc..

Yes, they are in the hunt.

It's OK for fans to discuss what "could've/should've" been............we are fans............we don't have to "deal" with what lies ahead........we are observers.

Just crack open another box of wine and enjoy. :beer:   Stop hiding from TSW after losses..........the journey is the only real reward.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/21/2023 at 12:41 AM, MJS said:

Dude, he only dove after the ball hit his hands and then bounced and hit him in the face. He floundered trying to catch the ball. It was a pretty dang good throw. Bills fans would be pretty mad if that was Davis trying to catch that pass.

I don't think he actually dove at all.  I think it was more that he was running full speed and lost his footing trying to bring the ball in.  For whatever reason after the ball hit his out stretched arms, when he pulled it in it went to his right shoulder and then he lost his footing.  The fact that he was running full speed with long strides made it look like a dive because of the momentum.  You can see the play on nfl.com in the highlight section of that game.  I watched it about 10 times and slowed it down too.

Edited by Scott7975

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You can double down on being wrong if you'd like...........but I think your premise has already proven very ill conceived.

When you don't have a second option who can step up it changes everything for an offense nowadays.    It's not just in KC,  it's happening all over the league in places where they don't have a good WR2 type option.

You are just going thru your first experience with not having a reliable second option during the Mahomes era...........because KC was actually out in front of the trend of surrounding their QB with high quality targets when they went out and signed Sammy Watkins to be their WR1 even though they already had two 1,000 yard receivers in Hill and Kelce.........then they drafted Hardman thinking he'd become a WR1 or WR2 type.  

It finally dwindled down to Juju as the second option in 2022 while they waited for Moore and Toney to develop............but Juju has already proven that he can put up WR1 type production with a top QB when he is healthy and focused.    And he did, with top 30 counting and efficiency stats for the Chiefs in 2022.   

As soon as MVS or Watson had to step up into that 2nd option spot you started seeing the same kind of inconsistency that the Bills have had with the very similar Gabe Davis.

The Chiefs have invested early round draft chips/value in Moore, Rice and Toney so I know it's not the exact same situation as the Bills,  who previous to drafting Kincaid hadn't invested anything significant in a receiving target since trading for Diggs in 2020 and drafting Zay Jones and trading for Kelvin Benjamin in 2017 prior to that............but the bottom line is that if you don't have that quality of play from your second receiving option it really matters.

I would say I don't think the strategy is wrong If you can find servicable dudes....problem is ALL of what KC has have been bad at running routes and hanging onto ball...I think they probalby thought the odds were that one or two of these guys would be good enough.  ...that said, Rice has probably been the best of the bunch but he's a rookie and they have kept his snap count down....he's earned a bigger share.  

Anyhow...usually by week 10 you kind are who the stat sheets say you are..but mabye KC WR's get thier crap together here toward the end...IDK.

1 hour ago, Zerovoltz said:

I would say I don't think the strategy is wrong If you can find servicable dudes....problem is ALL of what KC has have been bad at running routes and hanging onto ball...I think they probalby thought the odds were that one or two of these guys would be good enough.  ...that said, Rice has probably been the best of the bunch but he's a rookie and they have kept his snap count down....he's earned a bigger share.  

Anyhow...usually by week 10 you kind are who the stat sheets say you are..but mabye KC WR's get thier crap together here toward the end...IDK.

Have you considered that maybe the strategy was wrong all along and that winning a SB without Tyreek Hill had nothing to do whatsoever with getting intentionally worse at WR but a combination of many other factors that weren't just "made possible" when Hill was traded for picks and to save money?

I mean, there was a time many years ago when the Edmonton Oilers traded Wayne Gretzky and then two seasons later won another Stanley Cup.    It was still a bad trade in the long run because they probably would have won 2-4 more Stanley Cups with him.

If Tyreek Hill strings together a 3rd and 4th year like the first 2 unbelievable seasons he's had in Miami and the Chiefs receiving corps struggles and they do not win the SB this year or either of the two subsequent seasons it could end up looking a lot like that Gretzky trade.    

I'm still grateful all the time that they made that Hill trade.   Yeah he's been tough to defend 4x in a little over 12 months with Miami but the Bills have mostly dominated the Dolphins anyway.   It's a matchup league and he is the top non-QB matchup player in the NFL.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Have you considered that maybe the strategy was wrong all along and that winning a SB without Tyreek Hill had nothing to do whatsoever with getting intentionally worse at WR but a combination of many other factors that weren't just "made possible" when Hill was traded for picks and to save money?

I mean, there was a time many years ago when the Edmonton Oilers traded Wayne Gretzky and then two seasons later won another Stanley Cup.    It was still a bad trade in the long run because they probably would have won 2-4 more Stanley Cups with him.

If Tyreek Hill strings together a 3rd and 4th year like the first 2 unbelievable seasons he's had in Miami and the Chiefs receiving corps struggles and they do not win the SB this year or either of the two subsequent seasons it could end up looking a lot like that Gretzky trade.    

I'm still grateful all the time that they made that Hill trade.   Yeah he's been tough to defend 4x in a little over 12 months with Miami but the Bills have mostly dominated the Dolphins anyway.   It's a matchup league and he is the top non-QB matchup player in the NFL.

Your Gretzky trade though here......has given me something to think about.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/25/2023 at 5:46 AM, Zerovoltz said:

And the Chiefs are still 6th in the league for passing yards per game with a 67% completion percentage.  Pretty good for Patty throwing to a group that cant run routes or catch a cold, so Cry Me a River.

11 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

Your Gretzky trade though here......has given me something to think about.  

Yeah sometimes bad strategy just works out or is overcome.

Case in point.......the Patriots........who should have won at least another 4-5 Super Bowls that they never even reached during their run.

They were head and shoulders the best coached and QB'd team in the league for almost 20 years.     But with the exception of when they went out and got Randy Moss and speedboated their way to an undefeated regular season........Belichick seemed to relish keeping the cupboard half empty..........and it wasn't just poor drafting.    It was like he wanted the challenge more than the ring.    He even benched his CB1 for their SB loss to Philly.   Imagine Andy Reid doing that.  But usually injuries and a totally unnecessary lack of depth would be just enough to let a clearly worse coached and QB'd opponent like Denver or Pittsburgh get thru and steal a ring.    We remember their late dynasty flourish of wins but they basically went a decade without winning a SB and should have won most of those.

As it pertains to the Chiefs..........I don't think the team that won the SB last season was as good as the one that face-planted in the second half against Cinci in the AFCCG(with Tyreek) the season prior.    That was just an aberration, IMO.    They don't match up nearly as well without him and they've sorta' turned into that Patriots style team that has to win a lot of games late by one score instead of just running teams off the field. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.