New Coordinator, New Haircut, Old Josh

KingBoots8

49 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Just need to be consistent. Saw this during the Miami game and then got followed by a dud. Zero consistency this year. 

a good showing against the eagles would be a major sign of legit changes.

Agree on needing consistency.  However, I saw things yesterday that I have been screaming for Dorsey to do for over a year and that was very encouraging in having confidence that they can get some consistency back.

One, we ran the most motion plays of the season and the motion had purpose.  Orlovsky pointed out the James Cook TD pass for example, off the motion they see it’s man and with bunches on the right Josh gives 2 thumbs up indicating we are going with the play called in the huddle and Cook comes through across the bunches wide open for the easy TD throw.  

This is the kind of stuff that has been missing.  Peppering in Allen runs as well made them need to account for that as well and creates more pressure on the D.  Getting our play makers involved like Kincaid, Shakir, and RBs in the passing game was also refreshing.  

This next week will really tell us where we are at, but at least there is finally reason for optimism.  But for the first time in a while we his team seemed to be having fun and enjoying football again too, and love to see that. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Just need to be consistent. Saw this during the Miami game and then got followed by a dud. Zero consistency this year. 

a good showing against the eagles would be a major sign of legit changes.

Yeah but the dud was partly because they flew to London, half the team was sleep deprived because they didn't sleep on the plane...and the Jags were totally prepared and rested.  At least the next game is in the Eastern time zone and only a 45 min flight away.  I think they really show up vs Phil.

All of the above comments capture the efficiency and rhythm we saw yesterday in the offense, which was lacking.  A couple of specific things that I saw were a commitment to the run game again and Allen under center, both huge positives.  Something else that has been lacking but that we saw yesterday was the use of our backs and even Kincaid at times in the backfield running routes downfield to the flats and beating linebackers to spots.  Way less of the check down out to the flat and more positive yard checks to guys DOWNFIELD in the flats, or good reads by the backs to fill the space in the middle of the field vacated by linebackers who ran out to the flats.  These are very basic offensive principles that have been lacking and they paid off big time against a very good defense that was taking away our number 1 and 2 receivers effectively.  The 4th and 2 TD to Johnson was as basic a football play as there is but it was executed perfectly by Allen and was a GREAT call in that situation.  Nice job Buffalo!  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But for the first time in a while we his team seemed to be having fun and enjoying football again too, and love to see that. 

This. I think yesterday was the first time since the Miami game that I saw Josh smiling on the field in the middle of a drive.

He plays better when he's having fun.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, muppy said:

and he looks GOOD either way. But after some consideration short hair Josh STAYS.   Victory Monday! We needed this as a fanbase. The team needed this to get back on track offensively

Now lets keep it moving. More injuries after last nights game? ACK

otherwise I was VERY happy to see that all elusive offensive Rhythm show itself. That AND short hair. I'll take it!

GO BILLS!

I need mullet Josh on the weekends...:wub:

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ray Stonada said:

In-rhythm Josh!

Dorsey can’t dance…

there go his chances at any off broadway type work.  But can he rock and roll? 😇

#Victorymonday

stomping on his grave. sorry not sorry.

• Haha (+1) 1

Defense could NOT have been any more fired up! Awesome spectacle to see in person. 

Josh was better and not quite all the way back. But definitely improved. He needs someone to yell at him; Daboll did that. JA is not Tom Brady, an absolute student of the game. But, JA has talent aplenty. Just needs an ass kicking now and then.

Did anyone else catch JAs quote on the WGR postgame about not needing a change? And then I saw the replay when Josh was at a time out on the sideline, someone put a coat on him and he never looked at McDermott, who was two guys away. They never made eye contact, and after the time out Josh just dropped the coat and went back on the field. I really think it upset Josh to have Dorsey fired. As, I don’t think Josh feels Dorsey was the problem at all. .

Diggs’ damned brother got in his head methinks.

Brady gave the ball to so many different players, looked like what we need; keeping the opposing D on their toes and off kilter. 

Edited by npeartisgod

2 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Was at the game and when they showed Josh on the Jumbotron during the National Anthem with the fresh cut I couldn't help but blurt out "JOSH GOT A HAIRCUT...IT's ON" 

It was like when Rick Vaughn comes on the field in Major League 2 back to his old look & personality, tells the Randy Quaid fan character to go screw himself, and they dig out the “Wild Thing” tape for the PA system.

Josh was Josh again.

IMG_9092.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agree on needing consistency.  However, I saw things yesterday that I have been screaming for Dorsey to do for over a year and that was very encouraging in having confidence that they can get some consistency back.

One, we ran the most motion plays of the season and the motion had purpose.  Orlovsky pointed out the James Cook TD pass for example, off the motion they see it’s man and with bunches on the right Josh gives 2 thumbs up indicating we are going with the play called in the huddle and Cook comes through across the bunches wide open for the easy TD throw.  

This is the kind of stuff that has been missing.  Peppering in Allen runs as well made them need to account for that as well and creates more pressure on the D.  Getting our play makers involved like Kincaid, Shakir, and RBs in the passing game was also refreshing.  

This next week will really tell us where we are at, but at least there is finally reason for optimism.  But for the first time in a while we his team seemed to be having fun and enjoying football again too, and love to see that. 

Good post and I am cautiously optimistic. The Eagles D has taken a step back this year, especially in coverage. There will be plays to be made.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Good post and I am cautiously optimistic. The Eagles D has taken a step back this year, especially in coverage. There will be plays to be made.

Agreed, they get a lot of pressure on the QB (3rd in the league) but the defense is beatable.  With Joe Brady incorporating so much more motion (most of the season yesterday), more screens, quick passes and Allen under center, they can exploit that Eagles D.  

A week ago I was doubtful we could beat the Eagles...after seeing the improvements against the toughest defense on our schedule yesterday, I am now much more optimistic we can win this game.  Won't be easy, but I think the team we saw Sunday can beat any team in the league.  But getting back to your original point, we need to see them do it with consistency and must win at least one of our next 2 games against Philly and KC to keep our playoff hopes in tact.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Simon said:

I have zero doubt that when the D was on the field, Josh Allen spent much of the game sitting quietly on the bench looking no different than he has been. The network just didn't try to use that shot to promote some stupid dramatic narrative due to the fact that the the Bills were winning the game.

The next time the Bills are behind, you'll see that shot again and a bunch of our armchair psychologists will be screeching and wondering why our QB isn't running around the sidelines like Hulk Hogan. :rolleyes:

he wasn’t up even in the celebrations recently though. Love or hate the low positive, his demeanor was a little less leashed yesterday- even if not as dramatic as some are portraying 

1 hour ago, npeartisgod said:

Defense could NOT have been any more fired up! Awesome spectacle to see in person. 

Josh was better and not quite all the way back. But definitely improved. He needs someone to yell at him; Daboll did that. JA is not Tom Brady, an absolute student of the game. But, JA has talent aplenty. Just needs an ass kicking now and then.

Did anyone else catch JAs quote on the WGR postgame about not needing a change? And then I saw the replay when Josh was at a time out on the sideline, someone put a coat on him and he never looked at McDermott, who was two guys away. They never made eye contact, and after the time out Josh just dropped the coat and went back on the field. I really think it upset Josh to have Dorsey fired. As, I don’t think Josh feels Dorsey was the problem at all. .

Diggs’ damned brother got in his head methinks.

Brady gave the ball to so many different players, looked like what we need; keeping the opposing D on their toes and off kilter. 

Josh was never going to be happy that Dorsey got fired because they couldn't put things together on the field, there weren't any signs that he didn't actually get along with Dorsey. He was his second OC that they picked because he was his QB coach and new the system Josh liked from the old OC. Brady keeps scheming things up well like yesterday Josh might have a better understanding of why there did need to be a change.

• Like (+1) 2

the schemed up tds to the two backs were a change  Rest honestly seemed about the same with the difference being the lack of momentum killing penalties/drops/turnovers  Shakir getting sprung for a long td was nice to see Honestly think the Bills were overdue for some bounces to go their way Had a lot of bad turnover luck during the losses

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

It was nice to see a cohesive offensive attack for a change rather than throwing darts hoping something will work.  Also, re: Davis and Shakir. They play different positions and Davis would have had a TD today if the line held up for another second.  He was going to be open and Allen was about to throw him the ball.  It's not about who plays and who doesn't.  They can all play and have a role. in a 1 TE offense.  What I saw today that was encouraging is that they didn't seem to be forcing the ball to any one particular player.  They had a coordinated attack of running the ball and then taking advantage of the aggressive LBs in the middle of the field.  That led to the slot guys and backs getting more throws tonight. Davis was on the field almost all night and did a good job blocking and drawing coverage downfield.  If you don't cover him, Allen WILL throw it there so you have to keep someone back and respect it. That just gives the middle of the field guys even more room to work.  If the OC is doing it right, everyone can be an option.  The defense CAN'T guard everyone so it's taking what's there and getting the defense to try to play whack a mole.  Some days will be like today where it's the middle of the field and Davis and Diggs don't see the ball as much as the TEs, backs and Shakir.  This is how it SHOULD be though. Throw to the open dude. If they want to double Diggs, someone else is open. They want to shut down the deep throws? The middle of the field is open. They have enough guys that can catch the ball. They have enough players that can get open. Everything needs to be working harmoniously to make that happen and that's what Dorsey sucked at. Too many times the offense had zero rhythm and when that happened he'd default into forcing the ball to Diggs to try to get it going.   

And Romo continues to be , IMO, the best NFL analyst in the way he breaks down plays.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.