The only positive thing with our recent struggles, for the board

Bills fan since 87

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I have solidly beat.  I remember the garbage this franchise put on the field for most of the '70s and '80s.

This team ripped my soul out for the first time (I think)...losing on the road in San Diego in the playoffs, January 1981, after we won the AFC East, which was a BIG DEAL at that time.  

Honestly, all I have ever known is heartache with the Bills....which is why I am going nowhere, and am good at dealing with it at my age now.

😄

You're just not much of a Sabres/hockey fan, that's all.

I didn't miss a single Sabres game throughout the drought (still ongoing of course) and that takes into an account a LOT OF UNWATCHABLE HOCKEY.  LOL

You're a little behind with the Sabres and their stench.  That went away maybe as much as two full seasons ago...

Disappointing start to this season, but we still have a solid shot to pull together and make the playoffs.

Anyway, it's the same at my Sabres/hockey forums.  Everyone there is crazy for the Sabres, but can take or leave the Bills.

Everyone has their own interests.  It's not a big deal.

I don’t know man, I’m not here to be in a duck measuring contest. You can win, you’re a better Sabres fan. You’ve watched more games.

I am not going to hijack this thread with how many games I’ve watched and not watched year by year with this franchise or my take on the state of the team. I’ll leave that at HF and SS. 

Moving on to the actual point of my comment….

None of that is what my comment was about. It was about fan engagement. I posit that because the Sabres stink and the Bills and Sabres share the same owner, that fan engagement is at much higher risk. The fact of the matter is that when it comes to championship hockey Buffalo, NY is a top 5 television market for the league. But because of historically bad ownership we have some of the lowest arena attendance in the league despite being a community that watches a lot of hockey, just not a lot of Sabres hockey. The Pegulas have trashed a thriving hockey market for the NHL.

Sports fans in this town have already sharpened their pitch forks at the Pegula’s. They just need a reason to point them.

• Eyeroll 1

41 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Can't really blame people for being angry, this team is playing far below their talent levels, the coaching has been weak and they gave a home game away (a fireable offense) to a team that would've been competition for a higher playoff seed, had this actually been a playoff caliber team.

Agreed

It's not so much that we're bad, it's those facts as to why.  The presence of Allen in particular.  

As Bills fans we're a passionate bunch.  LOL

41 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Now lets see if the players react positively or negatively about the Dorsey punting. If they don't wake up from that, maybe it's the DC they want ousted.

Agree here as well.  

The next several games will be telling.  

McD will never be able to say he wasn't given a fair chance should it not work out well.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Of course as a Bills fan, I am disappointed and frustrated about this season.  We had Superbowl goal, but now we are .500 team that is praying for Playoff hope.  But, this is the team I support whether we win or lose, always proud of wearing the color.  I love how this team bounce back and persevere.  I left Buffalo in 1996 for a job in NYC and Now, I have no family ties in Buffalo after my parents left the city about 10 years ago. My most memorable time with my sons is taking road trips to Buffalo for 5 years when they were teenagers until they left for school.  I  truly thank people of buffalo for keeping the team in Buffalo and now with new stadium, the team will stay in Buffalo for indefinitely.  I am going to the game tomorrow with younger one who is home for Thanksgiving.  Go Bills!! Beat Jets

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

There's no such animal as a fair weather bills fan

C'mon now..........Bills fans are a mostly resilient group but there are LOT's of FWF's.

When it gets cold in December and the team is out of the playoffs or just "in the hunt" that stadium can get pretty empty........even with the reality of 10 months or more between games to attend..........and the excuses for mailing it in fly like snow in a blizzard.   

Thankfully,  no matter the weather the stadium should be full for the last two home games THIS YEAR because one is Dallas and the other is a New Year's eve party.

I have missed 1 regular season game and 1 pre-season game since 2009. I might actually miss this Sunday. I don't know yet. A friend who is getting married is having a 1 night stag do at a drag bar on Sunday night. Normally I'd make sure to leave early and be home for the Bills. This time I am not sure I will. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I have missed 1 regular season game and 1 pre-season game since 2009. I might actually miss this Sunday. I don't know yet. A friend who is getting married is having a 1 night stag do at a drag bar on Sunday night. Normally I'd make sure to leave early and be home for the Bills. This time I am not sure I will. 

I’m going to sound like a bad fan here, but they’ll win or lose with or without you and that party sounds like a roaring good time. 

It usually takes a few years for a new regime to come in and build a top team and McD and Beane did just that. Drafting Josh Allen in the 2018 draft and hitting 13-3 in 2020 and 2022.

The Buffalo Bills should have made it to the Super Bowl one of those two seasons and ran into the Kansas City Chiefs with home-field advantage. Buffalo had this same aspect back in the 90s and it was so prominent that the KC HC Marty Schottenheimer begged the NFL to have the AFC Championship game on a neutral field. 

In 1992 Buffalo did make the playoffs as a Wildcard and needed to go to Miami for the AFC Championship game. That was also the year of the OT WC win against the Oilers in OT. 

If you think about it the Buffalo Bills kept Dan Marino with the Miami Dolphins out of the SB, along with John Elway in those early 90's years. KC even had Joe Montana and he couldn't get them past Buffalo. 

Home field meant so much back then and it probably means the same now considering how difficult it is to beat the Cheifs at Arrowhead in the playoffs. 

The point here is it seemed that after four Super Bowl losses that fans were getting sick of seeing Buffalo even get to the SB. If fans want to jump the wagon, it's okay. 

Anyway, look back at the Denver Broncos and John Elway who went to three SBs in 86, 87, and 89 and lost all three. They were in the playoffs in 83-94 with Elway and didn't make it far. As great an arm as Elway had and as good an athlete he was... he didn't win an SB until Mike Shanahan built a power run game for Denver in 1997, 1998 with RB Terrell Davis. 

I think the current Buffalo Bills have the talent to get past KC and get to an SB. This new OC needs to keep Josh Allen under center and find a way to make that running game work...even as a WC.

On 11/17/2023 at 3:35 PM, eball said:

I’ve just stayed away from the board.  I’ll never give up on the Bills.

Yep, this place has a very strong negative bias. (Probably true of all similar boards).  It gets tiresome.  

In a weird way, this place was more interesting and fun during the drought years.  At least then you would get a mix of hope and disappointment.  

Now there is a huge overlay of winning expectations that that seems to be making people responsively negative as their expectations are not met.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Now there is a huge overlay of winning expectations that that seems to be making people responsively negative as their expectations are not met.

LOL, well yeah, when you begin a season with more than reasonable hopes and expectations for winning a Super Bowl, with winning the division all but a given, then lose to three of the worst teams in the league, the Jets, Broncos, and Pats, while nearly losing to two more, all while watching your offensive production plummet with one of the league's top QBs under center, and subsequently find yourself facing the Jets in a must-win game for 2nd place in the division as well as for mathematically keeping already slim playoff hopes alive, ... that'll contribute heavily to the critical nature of the fans.  Don't ya think?  

Should that be considered unreasonable?  

Same as the guy above, been a fan since the OJ years.   The drought years had some of the worst posts.   Like discussing how many sacks Maybin would get, or how good EJ Manuel was going to be, or JP Losman or how one side of our line was set with Mike Williams.  The constant drafting of runingbacks.  I would roll my eyes at people thinking we really had something in David Nelson.  Not being excited at the thought of Dick Jauron or Chan Gailey made you negative.  I would rather read someone who has an actual opinion than somebody who wouldn't say crap if they had a mouthful, you know its going to be all sunshine, rainbows and puppies when reading their posts.  Your maker gave you 2 eyes and a brain for a reason, use them.

I will never stop watching, I live in another state, pay my Sunday Ticket money every year.    I wear my Bills gear and am back to taking crap from my Steeler fan buddies.  They complain all the time about Canada and Tomlin.    I don't need anyone questioning my fandom. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

I hate these posts sheesh

let them be fans how they want to

its part of the venting and coping process 

I come here to vent and cope after let downs

we have had a lot of them this year

A LOT

One could quite easily argue that taking it out on fellow Bills fans, as if they've contributed to it or are the reason for it, and when the opposite is true, is worse than the complaint of the OP.   There's no good reason for it.  

Once again, we have no say in what happens with the team.  We can only influence it, but even then, there only en masse once the critical mass of fan and media opinion, which is related to fan opinion, reach a tipping point of sorts.  

Again, I don't think that most fans are upset with losing to better teams or when we show up with our A-Game and lose because our opponent brought their A-Game as well and simply beat us.  That happens to all teams every season, including the best and Super Bowl winners.  

What most object to is our coach being handed the keys to something great, turning it to mush, routinely showing up with our B if not C-Games, starting games as if they're scrimmages only to show up in the second halves doing what should have been done all game, abandoning aspects of our game when that's what's working at the time, and taking a generational talent like Allen and turning him into a Fitzpatrick.  

Then, having the "audacity" to point fingers at the one(s) responsible.  LOL  

Think of it as paying a top-notch contractor to build a home or home addition for you.  But all you get is fly-by-night incomplete and shoddy work.  

Would the same people then argue that that person should simply be happy that they have a roof, leaky or not, to live under.  LOL  

Apparently.  

And with that in mind, there also seems to be some misdirected anger by those that trusted and insisted that McD was a great coach despite cracks having been visible during his entire tenure, starting with the Peterman debacle outward, but have now been blatantly disappointed with the realization that their faith and beliefs have been misplaced.  It seems that that is then inappropriately turned on fellow fans by some of them.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/17/2023 at 3:13 PM, Spiderweb said:

Became a Bills fan when Jack Kemp was our QB. As angry as I have gotten he past few weeks, I still can vidily recall the years of having no chance before the season even began.  We can debate who should stay and who should go, but I'll always be a Bills fan!

I get to stay right? Right???!:cry:

Edited by Sherlock Holmes

The idea that it's a Super Bowl or nothing doesn't make sense to me. Football is unusual relative to basketball, hockey and baseball with the playoffs a one and done model. Further, the very physical game with the salary cap and the two teams left standing are not necessarily the best teams. I have not lived in Buffalo for many years but I like the connection back to my roots and the toughness of the people of Buffalo. The Buffalo Bills are iconic of who we are as we journey through life, picking ourselves up off the floor and going back again.

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

LOL, well yeah, when you begin a season with more than reasonable hopes and expectations for winning a Super Bowl, with winning the division all but a given, then lose to three of the worst teams in the league, the Jets, Broncos, and Pats, while nearly losing to two more, all while watching your offensive production plummet with one of the league's top QBs under center, and subsequently find yourself facing the Jets in a must-win game for 2nd place in the division as well as for mathematically keeping already slim playoff hopes alive, ... that'll contribute heavily to the critical nature of the fans.  Don't ya think?  

Should that be considered unreasonable?  

Did I state that it was unreasonable?  I simply said the place is more negative as people’s expectations are not fulfilled.

On 11/17/2023 at 3:25 PM, Mango said:

Maybe I am wrong, but I think some of it is Pegula fatigue. I know a few years ago I was down to watching maybe a dozen or two Sabres games per year. Not that it is a conscious decision, but if this franchise starts to pick up some of the same stench as the Sabres, the Pegula's have already trained the fanbase to bail. 

Granted the NFL is a different beast. it prints it's own money, the season is much much shorter, and your team basically plays a couple of Sundays per year at the same exact time on the same exact TV station, then they disappear for 8 months. But I do think ownership is part of some of the undercurrent. 

EDIT: That said. I don't miss Bills games. I don't leave games early. 

I am definitely a fair weather Sabres fan.  I have only watched one Sabres game since the team let both Brier and Drury walk the same year.  I couldn't believe it. That one game I only watched because my kids got tickets for my birthday to go.  Inside I was upset because it was on the same day as a Bills game haha.  I pretended to appreciate it and I did enjoy my time with the kids anyways though and I still caught half of the Bills game.  

The Bills though?  I have watched them and cheered them on for 40+ years.  I ain't going anywhere.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Did I state that it was unreasonable?  I simply said the place is more negative as people’s expectations are not fulfilled.

Unreasonable has to be defined that way.  Obviously many take issue with it being unreasonable, hence the length of the thread.  

But you started your thread by saying this ... 

Is that it's becoming clear who the fair weather fans are. ... 

Spin it any way that you want to, but you're assault is on a very good and likely majority of our fellow fanbase.  

It is what it is.  

Why go there?  Why misplace your anger (or irritation or whatever you choose to call it in your play of semantics) onto fellow Bills fans?  

Otherwise, your first two paragraphs launch into the fans.  In the third you boost and promote yourself in contrast to those that you slam thereby attempting to place yourself in a morally superior position.  That always goes well here.  LOL  In the fourth you say that you're not calling out critical fans, but many of those are the ones stating that they're only going to watch the games if it's convenient.  So what?  Why should you even care, whether they post here or not.  

In your last paragraph, you directly criticize any and all fans that aren't as avid as we are and don't spend as much time as we do, either independently analyzing the team as many of us here do, or otherwise posting here.  Most don't have that kind of time for one or more reasons.  This just in, many of the fans that sit in that stadium and have bought STs and likely even more so luxury suites, don't spend nearly as much time as we do here, with us here having it be a little bit, or a lotta bit, more than a simple pasttime, hobby, or pleasure in life.  They're there at the games though, right?  They pay their money, more of it than many of us here that analyze the team do even, with many of us not being in a position to buy seasons, either financially or logistically, right?   Who is anyone to criticize them.  

As for me personally, here's what I don't get.  The NFL is a business they say.  So when Pegula implies that he's moving the team if doesn't get subsidies from NY State, aka the taxpayers either directly or indirectly, that's fine, and it's a business.  When players say that they want their money or they'll go elsewhere, with many of 'em not even earning it here after they get it, that's fine, and it's a business.   The exorbitant concession prices, parking, soon-to-be STs that cost approximately twice what they're running now, in WNY, with PSLs on top of that, it's a business.  

But when the team sucks, the players don't play to their contracts, the owner that insisted on getting free public monies to not relocate the team cannot wait to give his coach and GM extenstions, but blindly extends them despite a catastrophe of a season in play that he could have easily waited out, and thereby putting himself into a precarious position as such, not to mention that same head coach destroying any semblance of the pretty much the exclusive thing he's known for, that ill-defined "winning culture," all while taking a rare generational talent that we as fans only dreamed of having, and contributing to beating him into the ground mentally and emotionally, losing to a bunch of teams that aren't even nor ever were in contention for making the playoffs much less advancing in them, while nearly losing to another, we as fans are supposed to treat it as something more than a business then?  

It's not right to insist that everyone treat this team and their affections for it the way that you do.  Many here take time out from their lives to spend 3-4 hours every Sunday, time away from kids, grandkids, other pursuits in life, perhaps making more money that they need.  I know people that don't make a lot of money in life, yet they spend a good chunk of what they do earn on going to a Bills game or two during the season.  Now with the team, its coach, and everything else associated with it, coming into the WNY family room, and taking a huge dump in the middle of the floor, perfect loyalty, interest, passion, and attention are expected from all fans far and wide by you and others?  

Does that truly sound like a rational approach to you?  

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

The only positive thing coming out of a season where we miss the playoffs is it will lead to Sean’s dismissal. Why aren’t more people blaming him for “12men on the field “. He’s the HC, everything is his fault. How about allowing Josh’s funk to last so long which killed our season.

Many of us have connected the dots in the seasons before this.  Others continue to have insisted that McD is a much better coach than he is.  It always unfolds like that.  The downside for the apologists is that the day of reckoning typically comes hard and unmistakeably, which is the case this season.  

You know that I am among the critics, but dang if I saw this coming.  I figured 10-7, possibly 11-6, maybe 2nd in the division, and either a Wild-Card or Divisional Round loss to an inferior opponent with more coaching gaffs.  I figured that would be enough to swing the balance of support pro/anti McD away from him.  What's going on now makes that look great.  

People take things way too personally in the forums, pretty much any forums.  Instead of merely discussing the team and agreeing to disagree, there's way too much focus on being right.  Who cares.  No need to slam people for being wrong, but it often happens because the people that end up being wrong hammered others for not harboring their opinions, before they were proven incorrect.  If people were simply allowed to discuss the team in disagreement often, then these situations wouldn't arise.  

It's very likely that those fellow fans are trying to cope with all of this themselves, and in some cases continuing on the tack that they held prior to their narrative collapse, by redirecting it at others.  Or their simply struggling to come to grips with the fact that what they believed was false.  That's just the nature of forums.  It also doesn't mean that they deserve to be slammed either though.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Many of us have connected the dots in the seasons before this.  Others continue to have insisted that McD is a much better coach than he is.  It always unfolds like that.  The downside for the apologists is that the day of reckoning typically comes hard and unmistakeably, which is the case this season.  

You know that I am among the critics, but dang if I saw this coming.  I figured 10-7, possibly 11-6, maybe 2nd in the division, and either a Wild-Card or Divisional Round loss to an inferior opponent with more coaching gaffs.  I figured that would be enough to swing the balance of support pro/anti McD away from him.  What's going on now makes that look great.  

People take things way too personally in the forums, pretty much any forums.  Instead of merely discussing the team and agreeing to disagree, there's way too much focus on being right.  Who cares.  No need to slam people for being wrong, but it often happens because the people that end up being wrong hammered others for not harboring their opinions, before they were proven incorrect.  If people were simply allowed to discuss the team in disagreement often, then these situations wouldn't arise.  

It's very likely that those fellow fans are trying to cope with all of this themselves, and in some cases continuing on the tack that they held prior to their narrative collapse, by redirecting it at others.  Or their simply struggling to come to grips with the fact that what they believed was false.  That's just the nature of forums.  It also doesn't mean that they deserve to be slammed either though.  

Very insightful analysis, can also be applied to the polarized political environment. As you mentioned the resolve to be right as if it defines us, takes away from the objectivity needed to understand a trend that is indisputable.

18 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Very insightful analysis, can also be applied to the polarized political environment.  

Indeed 

Good rule of thumb, never discuss politics online.  LOL 

Thanks BTW! 

18 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

As you mentioned the resolve to be right as if it defines us, takes away from the objectivity needed to understand a trend that is indisputable.

True, but at the same time, grace needs to be extended to those that were wrong for purposes of continued civil discussion.  

As an example, there's a prominent poster that's been on me like white on rice in our all but diametrical view of McD.  And I'm not the only one, just using me as an example.  He's put up one of those "red X's on just about every post even remotely critical of mine re: McD.  But not once have I made a "see I told you so post."  Why not?  He sees it too.  No need for me or anyone to hammer it in.  

Now if he continues on his path of support for McD, he's only asking for ardent opposition to it.  So far he hasn't, so again, he's sees it too.  

If we had made the Super Bowl despite McD, with Dorsey leading the O, as I thought it would lead to record-setting scoring production, then McD, right or wrong, would have cemented himself as being a great coach.  That's simply how narratives are.  Those of us critical of McD would have to deal with it.  Of course a Super Bowl win would have greased the skids of dealing with that situation nicely.  LOL  

On 11/17/2023 at 2:55 PM, Bills fan since 87 said:

Is that it's becoming clear who the fair weather fans are.  It's amazing how many posts I am reading saying things along the lines of "If I watch the game it will be out of morbid interest" or "I'm not bothered by losses anymore, I can now skip watching and do other hobbies on Sundays"

Does our current situation stink?  yes.  Do things need to be done better by the organization? yes.  But to say you're not going to bother watching or don't care on a message board specifically created for talking about the Bills?  that seems ridiculous to me.  Why are you even on here then?  What can you hope to contribute to the board if you in fact do not watch the games.

I was here for the 80's, I was here for the drought, I was here for our recent success and I will be here until the end.  Not just when it feels good to say my team is great.

I get the negativity and the complaining.  This forum provides a great place to vent frustrations, both valid and ridiculous.  It's therapeutic.  Things are not rosy at all right now and we have a right to demand more.  I'm not calling out the critical or hyper critical fans.  It's the ones who are saying  "I'm not going to watch" or "my weekends are free now" why bother posting in the first place?  If you don't even watch your opinions are thus rendered useless.

When I was sure we were going to win the Super Bowl after smoking the Rams and Titans to begin last season I thought how I would be disgusted by those "Bills fans" that wore the colors but couldn't tell you what position Dawson Knox played or who was in the AFC east.  I feel those people are much in the same as those saying they are "done watching" or "have better things to do".  To me that "fan" simply does not care enough to be considered true Mafia.  You either celebrate AND suffer with us or you are not one of us

Sorry for the rant.  Go Bills

Some word association:  mandates; cancel culture ; sheeple; shaming; judging; myths; straw man argument;biased;rose colored glasses;homer;  dark tetrad; hypocritical.  Just had some words come to mind after reading “ I’M NOT CALLING OUT THE CRITICAL OR HYPERCRTICAL FANS”.  HMMM, REALLY?  Fans are who ever they chose to be regarding a team or sport. If only your criteria are THE CRITERIA TO BE A FAN, there are some great vacation spots to consider ; North KOREA, CHINA, Russia ; and there are so many more like them , great places filled with great fans of their great leaders who are  masters in thought control and they are all about freedom of choosing your lifestyle and happiness!

You are probably the GREATEST BILLS FAN EVER, so when the off season comes around , take a well deserved break and take in some cultures that ,,,well,,somehow make me feel you might enjoy so much you might stay awhile after explaining how to be the loyalist fan ever!  But at least you weren’t being critical and that’s really being an open minded fan.  ( last word association; oxymoron).   It is a great thing to be the perfect fan because that determines so much about how your team plays !  Hmm,,,5-5 must mean,,,,lol. 

On 11/18/2023 at 10:15 AM, Steve O said:

Must have been an end of the rack that caught the bottom corner of the windshield, front door was dented but would open, back door wouldn't even open, and there was a piece of his tail left on the tail light. Friggin thing still ran off after all that. Bet he had one hell of a headache though. Guessing he probably died at some point but he got away from the accident.

I can guarantee the deer will die at  some point whether or not the accident is the underlying cause Iis the only thing that isn't certain.

Edited by AuntieEm

18 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Some word association:  mandates; cancel culture ; sheeple; shaming; judging; myths; straw man argument;biased;rose colored glasses;homer;  dark tetrad; hypocritical.  Just had some words come to mind after reading “ I’M NOT CALLING OUT THE CRITICAL OR HYPERCRTICAL FANS”.  HMMM, REALLY?  Fans are who ever they chose to be regarding a team or sport. If only your criteria are THE CRITERIA TO BE A FAN, there are some great vacation spots to consider ; North KOREA, CHINA, Russia ; and there are so many more like them , great places filled with great fans of their great leaders who are  masters in thought control and they are all about freedom of choosing your lifestyle and happiness!

You are probably the GREATEST BILLS FAN EVER, so when the off season comes around , take a well deserved break and take in some cultures that ,,,well,,somehow make me feel you might enjoy so much you might stay awhile after explaining how to be the loyalist fan ever!  But at least you weren’t being critical and that’s really being an open minded fan.  ( last word association; oxymoron).   It is a great thing to be the perfect fan because that determines so much about how your team plays !  Hmm,,,5-5 must mean,,,,lol. 

It's simple.  If you can't be bothered to watch the games your not much of a fan.  That's my point.  Do you disagree with that?

19 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

I can guarantee the deer will die at  some point whether or not the accident is the underlying cause Iis the only thing that isn't certain.

yesterday may have been the smoothest trip home I've had in the 50 years I've been going to games. 

8 hours ago, Steve O said:

yesterday may have been the smoothest trip home I've had in the 50 years I've been going to games. 

Certainly helps there's no snow covering grass so the deer don't have to wander as much in search for food. 

I believe there's a El Nino effect that will keep snowfall lower than normal in ny.  Don't know how accurate that will end up. I lived thru many if the blizzards we've had.  77 being the big one.

Edited by AuntieEm

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.