Mike Norvell - the coach you didn't know you wanted

LeGOATski

I get all the of the frustration and wanting to move on from this coaching staff. I advocated for firing Dorsey, but would rather keep McDermott.

However, if you're not like me and want a new HC, I've got just the man for you:

Mike Norvell

I've followed him since he started coaching at ASU (my alma mater). He made their offense legit. Then he went on to be the head coach of Memphis, turning them into a successful team and making the NFL think Paxton Lynch was draftable. Then he goes to FSU and turns them back into an undefeated championship contender.

He's an offensive coach, which a lot of Bills fans are clamoring for. He's signed with FSU through 2029, but we know how that goes ...

This is the HC you didn't know you wanted.

• Vomit 2
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

8 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I get all the of the frustration and wanting to move on from this coaching staff. I advocated for firing Dorsey, but would rather keep McDermott.

However, if you're not like me and want a new HC, I've got just the man for you:

Mike Norvell

I've followed him since he started coaching at ASU (my alma mater). He made their offense legit. Then he went on to be the head coach of Memphis, turning them into a successful team and making the NFL think Paxton Lynch was draftable. Then he goes to FSU and turns them back into an undefeated championship contender.

He's an offensive coach, which a lot of Bills fans are clamoring for. He's signed with FSU through 2029, but we know how that goes ...

I do like what Mike Norvell has done in the college ranks.  Likely, though, that is where he wants to stay. I'm trying to think...has there ever been a successful college HC that transitioned to the pros as a HC and enjoyed immediate success?  

I can think of one...Jim Harbaugh that went from Stanford to the 49ers...but he also played QB in the NFL for 14 years.  Anyone else?

Edited by jkeerie
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Mike Norvell

Man, he sounds like the next Chip Kelly or Matt Rhule. Can't miss...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Mike Norvell

Meh, I watch a lot of FSU. Program turn around was more from scouring the transfer portal and getting bonafide NFL talent from all over.

Jared Verse, Jermaine Johnson (last year), Trey Benson, Johnny Wilson, Keon Coleman will all be NFLers next year and some of them will be first rounders.

Couple that with a weak ACC and there’s your undefeated season. 

That’s college though and that’s no knock on Norvell. I just don’t see it as some X’s and O’s Mastery.

I’m a diehard FSU fan…….leave Norvell where he’s at. I would love to see this team draft K. Coleman tho.

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Meh, I watch a lot of FSU. Program turn around was more from scouring the transfer portal and getting bonafide NFL talent from all over.

Jared Verse, Jermaine Johnson (last year), Trey Benson, Johnny Wilson, Keon Coleman will all be NFLers next year and some of them will be first rounders.

That’s college though and that’s no knock on Norvell. I just don’t see it as some X’s and O’s Mastery.

Norvell has a little Ken Dorsey in him……he also loves to run out of the shotgun on 3rd and short.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Mike Norvell

I don't see it AT ALL.

He's just a solid amateur football coach who recruits well and now he's at a top 10 destination for recruits.

And additionally he could demand his contract be torn up and turned into a new 10 year $120M if he reaches the playoff..........and Florida State would do it.

At the NFL level he'd have less appeal than a number of current OC's............and none of them is getting anywhere near that money/security.

Just a complete non-fit in pro football.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

I’m a diehard FSU fan…….leave Norvell where he’s at. I would love to see this team draft K. Coleman tho.

Norvell has a little Ken Dorsey in him……he also loves to run out of the shotgun on 3rd and short.

There’s exactly nothing wrong with running out of shotgun most of the time. Pancheco runs out of the gun a lot. 

It’s not doing it well that’s more problematic.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't see it AT ALL.

He's just a solid amateur football coach who recruits well and now he's at a top 10 destination for recruits.

And additionally he could demand his contract be torn up and turned into a new 10 year $120M if he reaches the playoff..........and Florida State would do it.

At the NFL level he'd have less appeal than a number of current OC's............and none of them is getting anywhere near that money/security.

Just a complete non-fit in pro football.

Well said. College game is just different. Can’t get a Super Bowl by telling FAs there’s a lot of good looking girls in town.

• Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

The coach I didn't know existed

Hence the thread

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

He's turned the program around wherever he's been at, not just FSU. And you can't tell me FSU has had a problem getting NFL talent prior to this...

11 hours ago, jkeerie said:

I do like what Mike Norvell has done in the college ranks.  Likely, though, that is where he wants to stay. I'm trying to think...has there ever been a successful college HC that transitioned to the pros as a HC and enjoyed immediate success?  

I can think of one...Jim Harbaugh that went from Stanford to the 49ers...but he also played QB in the NFL for 14 years.  Anyone else?

Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer but Switzer had a great team already. 

• Like (+1) 1

The only college coach I would take a swing on, outside of Harbaugh, would be Kirby Smart. He's not an offensive guy, but I have full confidence he could put a competent staff together. He's also been an NFL factory at Georgia the last 3 years. I think he would be successful, but I don't think he leaves the college ranks. 

11 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Man, he sounds like the next Chip Kelly or Matt Rhule. Can't miss...

11 hours ago, The Wiz said:

The coach I didn't know existed

Bah!  We want a waterboy! 😁

I wonder if McDaniel will still be seen as the 'second coming of Shula' if he hits a down year.

12 hours ago, FireChans said:

There’s exactly nothing wrong with running out of shotgun most of the time. Pancheco runs out of the gun a lot. 

It’s not doing it well that’s more problematic.

Running out of shotgun on 3rd/4th and short makes no sense. The RB has to run 5-7 yards just to pick up 1 yard against linebackers that have moved up maybe 2 yards away from the line of scrimmage…..it makes no sense!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.