Mike Norvell - the coach you didn't know you wanted

LeGOATski

10 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

He's turned the program around wherever he's been at, not just FSU. And you can't tell me FSU has had a problem getting NFL talent prior to this...

College football is full of guys that turn around small schools and get elevated to big school jobs.   If Norvell had missed on the QB(Jordan Travis) a couple of years ago he'd be walking the plank right now.   Do you follow college football closely?  

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

College football is full of guys that turn around small schools and get elevated to big school jobs.   If Norvell had missed on the QB(Jordan Travis) a couple of years ago he'd be walking the plank right now.   Do you follow college football closely?  

But he didn't. He's not walking the plank anywhere because he's successful everywhere he goes. And Jordan Travis isn't that good. The system makes everyone look good, like Paxton Lynch.

A couple of thoughts on this

I cannot count the number of times that some hotshot coordinator was the next coming and ended up floundering out

What makes you think that we would even go after the prospect that several other teams would be going after it just doesn’t seem like the bills way we seem to go after defensive coordinators for head coach

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Jordan Travis wasn’t Norvells guy……Willie Taggert brought him in. Norvell is the one that actually resurrected JT’s career.

41 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

But he didn't. He's not walking the plank anywhere because he's successful everywhere he goes. And Jordan Travis isn't that good. The system makes everyone look good, like Paxton Lynch.

Jordan Travis is good, but I agree the system definitely has maximized his ability.

16 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I get all the of the frustration and wanting to move on from this coaching staff. I advocated for firing Dorsey, but would rather keep McDermott.

However, if you're not like me and want a new HC, I've got just the man for you:

Mike Norvell

I've followed him since he started coaching at ASU (my alma mater). He made their offense legit. Then he went on to be the head coach of Memphis, turning them into a successful team and making the NFL think Paxton Lynch was draftable. Then he goes to FSU and turns them back into an undefeated championship contender.

He's an offensive coach, which a lot of Bills fans are clamoring for. He's signed with FSU through 2029, but we know how that goes ...

This is the HC you didn't know you wanted.

College coaches only work in the NFL when they have certain personalities. Jimmy Johnson was the perfect example. He was the type of coach the NFL wants before he came to the NFL. He fit the mold perfectly. Not many college head coaches come right into the NFL and have success

16 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Man, he sounds like the next Chip Kelly or Matt Rhule. Can't miss...

Did Urban Meyer win a Super Bowl with the Jags yet???

I wonder what the failure rate is of College coaches in their first opportunity as an NFL coach.

Even Nick Saban couldn’t cut it in the NFL.

Edited by Special K
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Special K said:

I wonder what the failure rate is of College coaches in their first opportunity as an NFL coach.

Sadly, beating Buffalo WAS his Super Bowl😂

But to your point I agree wholeheartedly. Even looking back over time, Steve Spurrier pops to mind as well. Some guys are just better suited to be in college. Nothing wrong with that, of course. 

• Agree 1

McDermott needs to stay, IMHO.  Posted this in another thread - wish everyone felt this way.  I hope Pegula does:

Man, as a fan since the late 1960s, I don't know how anyone can want McDermott fired.  The second half of the sixties, 75% of the seventies, 50% of the 80s and the drought years all stunk to be a Bills fan.  McDermott turned that around and made the playoffs every year but one.  Josh may be hurt and is playing poorly, and some of the core is getting old, some of it is injured.  

Coaching change won't help any of that.  Time to retool, not scrap the ship.  Geez.  I appreciate this administration.  IMHO, best in the history of the franchise, including Levy/Polian and Saban (the only real contenders I believe).

2 hours ago, Special K said:

Last one that had success was Harbaugh. Something else I’ve noticed as well…….NFL coaches don’t have much success in college either.

7 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Paxton Lynch didn't play for Mike Norvell.:lol:   C'mon bro......you are clearly a casual football fan.   Go back to your OP.   Norvell didn't make Memphis into a successful program........that was Justin Fuente.   They were 19-6 in the two years before Norvell arrived.   Fuente was hot property and jumped to Virginia Tech.  Norvell took over a set-up program and then he went 38-16 while he was there.     He then took over Florida State and lost for two years with talent that was good enough to be a lot better.    It clicked for Jordan Travis midway thru his 4th season of college football and now he's a refined 6th year passer.    Is he "that good"? Yeah, too win the ACC with a very deep roster full of upper class-men, yes he is.    

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

Jordan Travis wasn’t Norvells guy……Willie Taggert brought him in. Norvell is the one that actually resurrected JT’s career.

What difference does that make?    It's a big advantage being able to play 6 seasons of college football like he and Michael Penix have.    Having a 4th year sophomore QB start  becoming solid saved Norvell's job.   

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What difference does that make?    It's a big advantage being able to play 6 seasons of college football like he and Michael Penix have.    Having a 4th year sophomore QB start  becoming solid saved Norvell's job.   

Yea you don’t know what you’re talking about. JT didn’t save Norvells job because it was never in jeopardy. His 1st season was  the covid year…..he was getting a minimum of 4 seasons to get things turned around by the University especially since we’re still paying Willie Taggert! I’m 100% sure I know way more about FSU football than you do.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.