Road to the Playoffs

steven50

So for the final game of the season to be for the division, the following needs to happen over the next 2 games.

- Dolphins can’t win both games.

- Bills can’t lose both games.

- If the Bills win 1 game, the Dolphins have to lose both games.

- No matter what they do, the Dolphins can’t be eliminated from the division before our game.

I think the most likely scenario is the Bills win both games and Dolphins drop one of their next two.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

There is technically a path for that not to happen, but it's less than .1% likely. Basically the Dolphins would have to beat the Cowboys and Ravens, Bengals would have to win out, Colts would have to win out, Browns would have to lose to only the Bengals but win their other 2 games. And probably some other games would have to go a certain way too.

Yeah, I can't see the Bills missing the playoffs if they win out.  They lose one game all bets are off though.  There would be many ways they don't make it.

23 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah, I can't see the Bills missing the playoffs if they win out.  They lose one game all bets are off though.  There would be many ways they don't make it.

There were surprisingly a lot of ways the Bills could've made the playoffs at 10-7 & not winning the division, but adding any more conference losses in the next 2 weeks would really hurt.

34 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

There is still a path for Miami to miss the playoffs completely! All starts with losses to Dal, Bal and Buf.

At 10-7…yes.

the reason buffalo isn’t yet win out and in is because you can have 4 non division winners with 11 wins.

Cincinati, Cleveland, 2nd place HOU/JAX/IND all can end with 11 wins. Buffalo loses tiebreakers going 4-1 vs  NFC thus losing h2h or conf record tiebreakers..

if Cleveland lost to Chicago then buffalo could control their own fate by win out and get a playoff spot.

cle/ cin play in week 18 so if Clevrland lost then with both at 8-5, then only one could have 12 wins. Since CLE won they both can finish with 12 wins.

HOU/ IND play in week 18. Both at 8 wins. Only 1 can have 11 wins. Jacksonville has tiebreakers against both.

BUF/ MIA could mean winner gets division, loser plays golf.

it can get very crazy if you get some loses and wild cards are for teams at 10 wins.

• Like (+1) 1

If the Bills win out and MIA loses once, the Bills win the division. In that scenario I don’t see them having a better seed than 4th as the Jags have the head to head tiebreaker. They’d have to lose 3 of 4 for us to get the 3 seed which I don’t see happening. In this scenario, we’d most likely play CLE and then at Balt if we win.  I don’t know you would be the 5th seed between CLE and MIA in this scenario.

21 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

If the Bills win out and MIA loses once, the Bills win the division. In that scenario I don’t see them having a better seed than 4th as the Jags have the head to head tiebreaker. They’d have to lose 3 of 4 for us to get the 3 seed which I don’t see happening. In this scenario, we’d most likely play CLE and then at Balt if we win.  I don’t know you would be the 5th seed between CLE and MIA in this scenario.

I don't care about the seeding just open the damn door and we can start clubbing these baby seals.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Every time I look at the schedules of the teams tied w/ & ahead of us - my brain twists into a pretzel.

Win out, and we're definitely in.  10-7 seems closer to 50/50 than a longshot.  But who knows.  We need to beat the Chargers and Pats, and see how things are looking going into the last week.

4 minutes ago, Success said:

Every time I look at the schedules of the teams tied w/ & ahead of us - my brain twists into a pretzel.

Win out, and we're definitely in.  10-7 seems closer to 50/50 than a longshot.  But who knows.  We need to beat the Chargers and Pats, and see how things are looking going into the last week.

I think as stated above, we technically could win out and not make it in. If Miami beats both Dallas and Baltimore… and if some other things shake out with the teams in the hunt, we could technically get knocked out even if we win out… I think..

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

Any plausible scenarios where we win next 2 games, get to 10-6 and have at least a wildcard berth clinched before Fins game? 

I can get it to happen with the playoff machine, but we’d need a lot to go our way in next couple of weeks.  This weekend was killer in terms of Bengals, Texans and Browns not losing.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I can get it to happen with the playoff machine, but we’d need a lot to go our way in next couple of weeks.  This weekend was killer in terms of Bengals, Texans and Browns not losing.

Bills can only control their own games.  They won what on paper were the hard games.  Just win baby.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I feel like those results have essentially made winning out the only way in.  

3 WC teams will be at least 10-7 and I’m not sure how we have the tiebreaker if we’re one of say 4 or even 5 teams that finish at that.  

The Texans win today is just so inexcusable.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.