Do you want Sean McDermott to be the head coach of the 2024 Buffalo Bills?

Logic

Simple Question: Do you want Sean McDermott to be the head coach of the 2024 Buffalo Bills?  

549 members have voted

1. 1. On opening day 2024, do you want Sean McDermott to be the head coach of the Buffalo Bills?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

I don’t want him to be manager of my local ice cream stand

Soft serve cones would be immaculately structured...there's a process for that.

EDIT:  However, in the 10-15 seconds needed to get the cone to the customer, all hell breaks loose, and the cone ends up on the floor. 😕

😇

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

On 11/18/2023 at 3:07 AM, SoMAn said:

That genius response is exactly what I was referring to when I say ‘mentality’.  
Firing a coach is an action. A solution is hiring a replacement who is successful-though it may take a a season or two to measure that success. Comprende?

1) If you have read many of the 50 threads on this topic, including just 3 pages previously on this one, you would have read about several good replacement names.

2). Do we know that those names would for sure 100% be better than Sean, no.  Is it EVER possible to know for sure that who you replace ANY coach with will be better, no.  That can’t and shouldn't ever be the standard for firing any coach.  That’s living scared and not a standard you or anyone else would use in your life.  Do we for example always know if a change in a job, change of where we live, or a change in girlfriend/boyfriend will be better then what we have? No.  But sometimes we know in life something has gotten stale or worse and needs to be changed.

3). Many other teams in NFL and other sports have fired more accomplished coaches than Sean and have immediately maintained or even exceeded the performance under new coach.  

Ex 1). John Fox with the 4 seasons with Broncos: 4 winning seasons, 4 playoff appearances, 13-3, 13-3, 12-4 his last 3 seasons, a Super Bowl appearance.  BUT, 3 divisional playoff losses, 3-4 playoff record and fired.  Gary Kubiak hired and won Super Bowl the next season.

Ex 2). Doug Pederson with Eagles:  a .531 winning %, 3 playoff appearances, 4-2 playoff record, a Super Bowl win. BUT, loses in divisional and wild card rounds, and 1 bad season was his last one.  Fired.  Replaced by a little known assistant Nick Sirianni went immediately went to playoffs the next season followed by a Super Bowl appearance.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/14/2023 at 4:16 PM, BillMafia716ix said:

62% career winning percentage, 3 Division titles in 4 years. 4 straight double digit win seasons. Only one losing season and that was a rebuild year with a new QB, Defense has consistently been a top ten 10 unit. 

Winning culture will always try to win the last game when they feel their window is open.

If they dont win, it's a failure. For those teams, a 13-3 season with a devastating lost at home in playoff is a failure.

Losing culture franchises are happy to be a good team. They dont want to change anything cause they are afraid: it could be worst.

Those teams will hide their devastating lost at home in playoff behind their 13-3 season.

Expectations. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm not better than anyone as a long time Bills fan. I'm part of it and i will root for them all Sundays.

Then, let be serious: Between the 13 seconds a couple of years ago and the 12 man last year, we have a lot of that kind of weird mistakes.

It's a clear pattern.

• Agree 1

I’ll say this

if Sean can right this ship and we go deep into the playoffs playing prepared and full capacity every week

im behind him

if they fail to make the playoffs and get better it’s a clear sign to what I already see a clear sign - that he lost the team and you need to make a change 

• Agree 1

Unless there is a miraculous turnaround and a run to the Super Bowl, I would say no.  I appreciate how McDermott got us out of the playoff drought and turned the franchise around, but he has taken this team as far as he is capable of doing.   The in game management will always keep him in the tier of pretty good instead of elite as a coach.  He appears to have lost the team and it is time for a change.

Edited by dgrochester55

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

if the goal is to win a Super Bowl then that strategy isn’t doing to well for them. It’s been 15 years. Do you want 15 more years of this? Where do you draw the line? Your example is a rare case to begin with. It’s also a case with a coach that actually won a Super Bowl. Twice. 

I love how people just trot out random stats and think it proves something.   It actually proves the opposite. 

Tomlin's been the head coach in Pittsburgh for 15 years, been to the Super Bowl twice and won one.  In the Super Bowl era, the ONLY Bills coaches to have playoff success are the two longest-tenured coaches in Bills' history - McDermott and Levy.   Other than those two, the Bills have been turning over coaches every two or three years, so how well has the coaching carousel been working?  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/16/2023 at 2:03 PM, Shaw66 said:

80-20 no.  Astounding to me.

To me, it seems like people are finally waking up and realizing.

As I've said many times, no analysis of Sean McDermott should include any comparison to previous Bills coaches. He should be compared ONLY to league-wide peers who have elite QBs.

20231106_221518.jpg

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

As I've said many times, no analysis of Sean McDermott should include any comparison to previous Bills coaches. He should be compared ONLY to league-wide peers who have elite QBs.

20231106_221518.jpg

Yeah, it's funny how different people have different perspectives.  Maybe I'm just waking up!

Calling it a rule doesn't make it a rule.   It's just a statistic.  I think it was in that movie Sully where a member of the board of inquiry says "no one ever did that before, and the Tom Hanks character replies that no one ever did anything before until someone did it for the first time.  It's like to the Wright brothers that they can't fly because no one ever did it before.   

As has been discussed here several times, one reason that you can't find any coach combos winning after five years is because either the coach gets fired or the QB leaves or gets traded.  In other words, the impatience of the owners and GMs is probably the reason you don't see winning combinations beyond five years.    

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

20231106_221518.jpg

This.  I don't want to hear anything about our previous coaches.  They didn't have Josh Allen.  I dare say some of them would be doing better than McDermott this year with the talent on the team. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I love how people just trot out random stats and think it proves something.   It actually proves the opposite. 

Tomlin's been the head coach in Pittsburgh for 15 years, been to the Super Bowl twice and won one.  In the Super Bowl era, the ONLY Bills coaches to have playoff success are the two longest-tenured coaches in Bills' history - McDermott and Levy.   Other than those two, the Bills have been turning over coaches every two or three years, so how well has the coaching carousel been working?  

I didn't trot out a random stat.  It doesn't prove the opposite. 16 years. You used him as an example.  That example is rare.  He also got the job done.  McD hasn't gotten the job done, so it isn't the same situation at all.  Unless your only goal is to be a good regular season team.  You want another example?  Marty Schottenheimer.  Coached KC for 10 years. 5-13 playoff record.  Great in the regular season though (.613)  Think they should have kept him longer or did that continuity not do them any good?

None of the other Bills head coaches had an elite franchise QB on the level of Kelly or Allen.  You think McD would be this successful if he still had QBs like Tyrod Taylor ,Nate Peterman, and EJ Manual, or is it more likely he is a 9 game win coach at best just like the rest of them?  Sure, we have had some bad coaches but QB matters and none of those other coaches had one.  Continuity would have done nothing without one.  Even Doug Marrone with Nate Hackett at OC went 9-7.

I asked you a question... where do you draw the line?  How many years are you giving this guy to win a SB, or at least get to one?  Instead of answering you just tried to puff chest like you are superior or something.

The bolded is part of my point.  Part of the reason he is there so long is he has proven he can do it and he proved it early on. Twice in his first 4 seasons.  McD hasn't done that and is on year 7. You say that proves the opposite?  I think not.

Edited by Scott7975

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Soft serve cones would be immaculately structured...there's a process for that.

EDIT:  However, in the 10-15 seconds needed to get the cone to the customer, all hell breaks loose, and the cone ends up on the floor. 😕

😇

then there would be too many scoops on each cone and the place would go out of business cause of poor management thus wasting the prime years of the business 

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, it's funny how different people have different perspectives.  Maybe I'm just waking up!

Calling it a rule doesn't make it a rule.   It's just a statistic.  I think it was in that movie Sully where a member of the board of inquiry says "no one ever did that before, and the Tom Hanks character replies that no one ever did anything before until someone did it for the first time.  It's like to the Wright brothers that they can't fly because no one ever did it before.   

As has been discussed here several times, one reason that you can't find any coach combos winning after five years is because either the coach gets fired or the QB leaves or gets traded.  In other words, the impatience of the owners and GMs is probably the reason you don't see winning combinations beyond five years.    

Factually, anyone who doesn't want to fire Sean McDermott is one of three things:

1) fine with not winning a Super Bowl, or

2) of the belief that McDermott will be the first coach in NFL history to win a Super Bowl after being with the same QB for > 5 years, or

3) willing to trade Josh Allen.

cc: Pegula, Terry

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Factually, anyone who doesn't want to fire Sean McDermott is one of three things:

2) of the belief that McDermott will be the first coach in NFL history to win a Super Bowl after being with the same QB for > 5 years, or

7 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Its rare, but not without precedent. John Madden and Ken Stabler were together more than 5 years before winning a Super Bowl. 

14 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Its rare, but not without precedent. John Madden and Ken Stabler were together more than 5 years before winning a Super Bowl. 

There's very little comparison between '70s era football and that of today however.  

This was a good game, what was needed, and frankly, expected.  

The Jets suck, averaging 16 ppg coming in, now 15 or so.  We also had an advantage or new offensive scheme, or at least somewhat.  

Hopefully it helped the team find itself a little.  Unfortunately for us, all of the currently seeded teams except for Pittsburgh, who played one that did, won.  

At least the fans in attendance don't have to leave the game like they did last week.  

16 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The other poster said "first ever".   He was wrong.  I corrected the record.  I hope that clears my comment up for you.  

It does, so yeah, I hear ya.  

Presumably you understand the point however.  

:)  

Happy Thanksgiving BTW!!  

How did the Russian hackers access this poll?  @2BD--yinz need to spiff up your cybersecurity.

How else would one explain 75% of responses wanting McDermott gone??

I'm a long time Bills fan.  First game I ever saw in person, Joe Namath threw 8 TD passes.  But 3 were to the Bills, and Bills won 37-35.

McDermott is 1 of the top 2 Bills coaches in the last 55 years.  Full stop.

Wait, you'd rather have Hank Bullough, Kay Stephenson, Jim Ringo, Rex Ryan, Chan Gaily, or one of the other clown posses that passed through??

Lets think this through.  19 years before McD = 0 (ie, zero, zilch, nil, nada) playoff appearances.

6 yrs with McD = 5 playoff appearances.   Fishers exact test p = 0.0000051.

Last years team went through extraordinary, never before stress, and still won a playoff game.

This years team has a defense that has lost 5 of its top 6 defenders from last year, and is held together by duct tape and bailing wire.  Still in the thick of the playoff race.

And yet, 75% of Bills fan want a coaching change???

SMH

Be careful what you wish for.

Me, I'll be in Philly on Sunday, cheering on my Bills.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Close, but no cigar. Stabler was in his fourth year starting under Madden.

8 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

@bobobonators How are you disagreeing? Do you disagree with the facts? 😂

I think what we saw tonight is the type of game McD wants to see. Strong defense and a tough offense with a good run game that can control the clock. Allen brings the added big play dimension.

Is this good enough against high powered offenses? We will see in the next 3 weeks.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.