DORSEY FIRED, Joe Brady Interim OC

Process

Come on now, Ertz got more posts than this, get on the stick people!!!!

GO BILLS!!!

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I went over to the Steelers board to see what they had to say about this. What I was surprised to find is how much they hate Josh Allen. They call him Chris Pratt. They say it was unfair that Dorsey was fired because all Josh does is turn the ball over but what they are trying to do is to convince themselves that Dorsey would be a good hire. Then someone posted the Orlovsky videos...

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

I went over to the Steelers board to see what they had to say about this. What I was surprised to find is how much they hate Josh Allen. They call him Chris Pratt. They say it was unfair that Dorsey was fired because all Josh does is turn the ball over but what they are trying to do is to convince themselves that Dorsey would be a good hire. Then someone posted the Orlovsky videos...

My biggest gripe with Orlovsky is that he's talking about having to play at a 10 out of 10 level yet game after game there are guys running open that Josh is refusing to throw to as he throws into coverage 15 yards down the field.  A lot of talk about scheming guys open but any All 22 review says that there are guys open.  I suspect Dorsey's problem was McDermott wanted someone to be in Josh's face about playing in the system and going more conservative and Josh is hard to reign in and Dorsey is to close to him to do it.

• Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

He didn’t call the plays, Brady did.

I'm not absolving Brady from all responsibility, but the job of an OC is far more than calling plays.  And even when he calls plays, he might have marching orders about the general trend wanted by the HC for the play-calling.

If you're an OC working for an offensive-minded HC is very different than being an OC for a defensive-minded HC.   We don't know how tightly supervised Brady was in Carolina or how much he was (or wasn't) executing Rhule's scheme and vision.  So I'm not going to damn the guy for his performance there.  

1 minute ago, Maine-iac said:

My biggest gripe with Orlovsky is that he's talking about having to play at a 10 out of 10 level yet game after game there are guys running open that Josh is refusing to throw to as he throws into coverage 15 yards down the field.  A lot of talk about scheming guys open but any All 22 review says that there are guys open.  I suspect Dorsey's problem was McDermott wanted someone to be in Josh's face about playing in the system and going more conservative and Josh is hard to reign in and Dorsey is to close to him to do it.

Orlovsky makes some very good observations about Dorsey's scheme and play-calling shortcomings.  But it's undeniable that Josh sometimes makes poor decisions. 

Still, if we want to pile on Dorsey, we can blame him for that too.  His title is coordinator but he's a coach.  Isn't he supposed to coach out the bad habits and coach up the good stuff?  

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Still, if we want to pile on Dorsey, we can blame him for that too.  His title is coordinator but he's a coach.  Isn't he supposed to coach out the bad habits and coach up the good stuff?  

No I agree and that's why (completely speculating) I think McDermott might have thought Dorsey could not get Allen to game manage enough to win the tight defensive games.  He probably thought Dorsey was to close to Allen to get the desired effect.  I get it everyone loves Allen in a shootout but the NFL defenses this year are winning against the good QB's and if you can't keep the turnovers down you lose.  We either need to run the ball more/better or Josh needs to hurt defenses with underneath stuff or they'll play shell defenses with safeties over the top and he'll hold the ball and take sacks and have turnovers.

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont fancy myself an Xs and Os guy. Especially on Offense. And especially with modern NFL Offenses.

That said, over the past couple weeks I've watched:

1. the JT O'Sullivan breakdown of the Tampa game

2. the Cover1 breakdown of the Tampa game

3. a couple other Cover1 videos from this season

Maybe 2-3 hours worth of watching unofficial videos of guys who are knowledgeable but still mostly guessing on what is happening on the field.

From that alone, this past Monday Night, I was able to tell my wife exactly what play the Bills were running and exactly what routes the WRs would be running a number of times.

And I dont know JACK SQUAT!

Every DC has us figured out. Every defensive player should have us figured out.

That alone is grounds for firing Ken Dorsey.

I don't consider myself an X-and-O guy either.  But I've watched some of the same videos as well as some stuff from Kurt Warner and Dan Orlovsky.  And while some of these guys sometimes praised a particular call or play-design, I was left with the feeling we had a subpar OC.  And, yeah, I started guessing Bills plays too.  

We've heard these things from opposing players, as well.  They knew what we were doing.  Orlovsky says we're wildly predictable and the easiest offense in the NFL to prepare for.

With Super Bowl aspirations, we need someone better than what Dorsey is right now.  

3 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

No I agree and that's why (completely speculating) I think McDermott might have thought Dorsey could not get Allen to game manage enough to win the tight defensive games.  He probably thought Dorsey was to close to Allen to get the desired effect.  I get it everyone loves Allen in a shootout but the NFL defenses this year are winning against the good QB's and if you can't keep the turnovers down you lose.  We either need to run the ball more/better or Josh needs to hurt defenses with underneath stuff or they'll play shell defenses with safeties over the top and he'll hold the ball and take sacks and have turnovers.

I agree with all of this.  

The comment about Dorsey and Allen being close worries me.  Watching Allen on the sidelines - he looked down.  I watched McD's post-Dorsey interview.  He looked morose, too.  They both look to be at emotional lows.  Dorsey's firing might not improve Allen's headspace.  And I wonder who he'll blame.  Himself?  McDermott?  The termination might eff with him mentally.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

What I am hoping for from Brady is an Offense that seems better prepared. An offense that gets the details ironed out in practice and can execute without so many drive-killing mistakes.

I have discussed Allen's role in making mistakes and playing better, but I am not absolving the rest of the offense for looking pretty unprepared to play the game each week. Drops, bad routes, and fumbles have been drive-killers and of course those are not all on Allen - I get that.

Considering the offense has been sloppy and mistake prone week over week, it is pretty logical for an organization to look to the OC position for accountability. Keeping the team operations as a whole well-disciplined and having demonstratable improvement with fundamentals is on Sean so of course he is not without blame for the lackluster performances of this team.

We will see if Brady can right the ship and get it headed in a better direction.

4 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Vic Carucci on SiriusXM immediately after the firing said that Pegula meets with McDermott after the games before McDermott talks to the media. Vic said that McDermott is feeling the heat.

Why does the meeting have to take place immediately after the game?  

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont fancy myself an Xs and Os guy. Especially on Offense. And especially with modern NFL Offenses.

That said, over the past couple weeks I've watched:

1. the JT O'Sullivan breakdown of the Tampa game

2. the Cover1 breakdown of the Tampa game

3. a couple other Cover1 videos from this season

Maybe 2-3 hours worth of watching unofficial videos of guys who are knowledgeable but still mostly guessing on what is happening on the field.

From that alone, this past Monday Night, I was able to tell my wife exactly what play the Bills were running and exactly what routes the WRs would be running a number of times.

And I dont know JACK SQUAT!

Every DC has us figured out. Every defensive player should have us figured out.

That alone is grounds for firing Ken Dorsey.

Did you watch Warner's Studyball breakdown ? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Map40XDVnxM

2 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Thought Josh showed a lot of accountability today in his press conference.

He always does. It’s one of his many great attributes. Some fans, on the other hand, won’t even allow him to be accountable by pointing fingers everywhere else. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

the offense is predicated by execution vs a good scheme that puts the players in advantageous positions to win  At least the way Dorsey was calling it  Maybe its salvageable  with a different play caller .   I hope we dont see shotgun on third and short   Little bit of luck would be a nice change  Feel like a lot of the turnovers were flukey and feels like any fumble always seems to be recovered by the defense  Fingers crossed Sunday's game is watchable

Kurt Warner just put out another All-22 on Dorsey’s offense.

Interested in other opinions on this, but the main theme, like a lot of others I’ve seen this season is: Dorsey has checkdowns built into every play, there is always a flat or a hot, and if Allen was patient he could take more of those, let plays develop.

But I don’t know how anyone could argue that there isn’t a lot of playmaking out there for the Bills and the margins/throwing windows are small, the Bills WRs don’t uncover that well. 

I see a condensed offense predicated on a bunch of short routes to the sidelines. There is not much space out there. 

Also, has Allen’s clock sped up because he doesn’t trust longer developing routes because his offensive line was bad in 2021-2022?

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Seventeen said:

Did you watch Warner's Studyball breakdown ? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Map40XDVnxM

I'm 7min into a video called "In Defense of Dorsey" and so far all I've seen is a poorly organized unit trying to run poorly designed plays.

Yes, Josh needs to play much better. But he's been getting no help.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.