We sucked. But, why is no one talking about the incompletion into “forward progress, first down?”

npeartisgod

We made far more mistakes than the refs did.  We lost, they didn't take it from us.  Those who are giving our team a pass because they think the Refs are the problem every week are drinking too much Koolaid.  We have played embarrassing football, not worthy of a playoff bid.  The players make mistakes and look like they did because we are not prepared and are undisciplined.  Coaches own that.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Probably been answered by now, but basically ...

The ref screwed up his announcement. But the way it was called was correct, though the Broncos had a gripe for not knowing till a bit of time had passed that it was considered a first down.

It was not incomplete. Reviews backed it up. He caught it, held it for several steps, was tackled, and after his arm hit the ground ending the play, he fumbled it.

I thought the player had to survive contact with the ground or it's called a fumble.

23 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

I thought the player had to survive contact with the ground or it's called a fumble.

Depends on the circumstances. That's a rule for whether a pass is caught. That one had already been caught and he'd made a football move.

In any case, the ground didn't cause the fumble. One of our safeties ripped it out, unfortunately just after the receiver's arm had touched down.

Edited by Thurman#1

24 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

How many y'all gonna watch next game?

I'll be watching,  but man it sucks being most likely out of the playoff picture this early and wishing for "tank for the draft" mode once again.

• Like (+1) 1

I get that it was not a fumble, but I do not understand how that is ruled a completed pass based on forward progress when the catch did not survive the ground? If you are going to say he is down by contact on his butt, then doesn't it follow that if the ball comes out from that contact it is an incomplete pass.

How many end zone catches are deemed incomplete because the receiver ultimately loses control when contacting the ground, sometimes seconds after the initial catch. I really hate the latitude refs have when when they call forward progress or not? It's bonkers, Sometimes they let running backs go forever (without advancing the ball) and you see strips attempts and other times they call it quick saving the offensive team.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, npeartisgod said:

Definitely one of the worst vibes at the Ralph. More weird plays than I’ve ever seen in one game. But, how on EARTH, does an incomplete pass get turned into forward progress first down? Anyone?

Honestly I completely agree it was a bad energy, but the moment they fumbled on the first play the air went out of the stadium and energy. Instead it was just here we go AGAIN which is exhausting. 

Most exciting part of the game for me was my buddy and I breaking up a fight/getting a guy to security who sucker punched someone. Mind you this happened in the 1st quarter so it wasn't like the true bad vibes were out yet.

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m trying not be a homer but I agree. That was a pretty weak PI call. While it certainly looked like he was going to interfere with him, when you see the replay he did about as little as you can do on an underthrown jump ball. The NFL should really clean that up. The offense shouldn’t be rewarded for tossing up what is really just a prayer. 

Don't like the call, but it is called 90% plus in that situation.  I continually wonder why Bill's don't try the same through more often given the high potential for interference call?

8 hours ago, npeartisgod said:

Definitely one of the worst vibes at the Ralph. More weird plays than I’ve ever seen in one game. But, how on EARTH, does an incomplete pass get turned into forward progress first down? Anyone?

No one is talking about it because its a non issue given the refs got the call right.  It was a catch, he was down before ball came out, and where he caught ball was enough for a first down.  

7 hours ago, 5ths the charm said:

We made far more mistakes than the refs did.  We lost, they didn't take it from us.

I agree that the TD toe tap was a TD, and the PI was PI even from me watching their backs from the opposite end zone as it happened in real time; Taron didn't turn his darn head.

But sitting in the stadium and watching the video of the butt catch, we all saw that ball come out after the tussle, and we just went, "well, incomplete pass." Then, this little zebra runs out and says, "something, forward progress, first down." (The ref's mics were horrible all night.) If you tv watchers are saying it was a catch then so be it, but to us it looked like a hot mess of a call. Then, an attempted play into a false start. So, my question now is two fold, if there is a challenge flag allowed before the next play, can you throw one if the next play is a false start? And two, why the eff didn't McD throw the challenge on that? It was so quick in the Stadium, no one could have radioed to him not to throw it in the little time between the call and false start...

On another note, I wrote the post at 3:30am after getting home and was too wired to sleep. God, the vibe was just weird. Like the vibe of watching these guys all year...We win the toss and opt to receive??! First play from scrimmage results in a turnover fumble. The next drive is almost an INT using the EXACT same play and route that was run into an INT either the last week or the week before -- right into the defender's hands, but this time the defender (luckily) stepped out of bounds as he caught the pick.

I have not heard the Ralph so depleted and quiet since the day our guy was almost paralyzed. I could actually hear individual voices yelling from the opposite end zone. Just. Weird. All season. Except for Miami. That was genuine fun!

But, the drought feeling is back in my gut game after game; what will happen next, who will get called, who will intercept us and on and on...

Edited by npeartisgod

10 hours ago, npeartisgod said:

Just another example of the horrendous use of replay by this regime. Too many plays like this one go unchallenged. The one time McDermott chose to challenge was last week on an incompletion that had no chance of being overturned to a catch.

1 hour ago, Philp8980 said:

What happened to completing the process of a catch? And survi ing the ground? Does that only apply when the player is going out of bounds? Still don't know what a catch is in 2023. 

A player who makes a catch may advance the ball. A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) in the field of play, at the sideline, or in the end zone if a player, who is inbounds:

a. secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and

b. touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and

c. after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, performs any act common to the game (e.g., tuck the ball away, extend it forward, take an additional step, turn upfield, or avoid or ward off an opponent), or he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so. 

2.) If a player, who satisfied (a) and (b), but has not satisfied (c), contacts the ground and loses control of the ball, it is an incomplete pass if the ball hits the ground before he regains control, or if he regains control out of bounds

Was he considered down by contact before the ball was ripped out so he didn't need to meet 'c' ? I don't really know. I think if the ball popped out like that, without a defender touching him, it would've been an incompletion. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Guy actually made catch. He was touched on replay but his butt was far enough for the first down. The refs made a mistake announcement according to New York/ ref in the booth. 

They never really contact NY imo. The broadcast ref just says ***** cause he has nothing else to say 

15 hours ago, npeartisgod said:

it was either incomplete, a fumble, or shouldve been 4th down.   I think incomplete would've been the correct call.   But the Bills made so many blunders and lost in such a stupid way, that picking out questionable calls by refs just doesn't give any satisfaction.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.