We sucked. But, why is no one talking about the incompletion into “forward progress, first down?”

npeartisgod

If the Bills are ever going to get the elusive Super Bowl then we need a team that makes bad officiating irrelevant. 

Bad officiating is a constant that will never change.

When you play poorly, a variable completely under your control, you make bad officiating more of a factor.

Of course there's always the chance that egregiously poor officiating can sink a team running on all cylinders, but that's a risk we all take investing in a sport that has become increasingly like pro wrestling with each passing year.

5 hours ago, npeartisgod said:

Definitely one of the worst vibes at the Ralph. More weird plays than I’ve ever seen in one game. But, how on EARTH, does an incomplete pass get turned into forward progress first down? Anyone?

Probably been answered by now, but basically ...

The ref screwed up his announcement. But the way it was called was correct, though the Broncos had a gripe for not knowing till a bit of time had passed that it was considered a first down.

It was not incomplete. Reviews backed it up. He caught it, held it for several steps, was tackled, and after his arm hit the ground ending the play, he fumbled it. And he caught the pass beyond the first down marker, moving backwards, so it was correctly a forward progress first down. 

1 hour ago, cle23 said:

But it's not "giving the game away" if it's the correct call. Both are the correct calls. Taron never saw the ball,  and ran the WR off the spot. 

If the coaching had called the proper defense instead of an all out blitz it would have been more of a jump ball. Everyone knew what was coming except our coaches.

Edited by VADC Bills

1 hour ago, Billzgobowlin said:

That was a PI.  If Taron was a split second later or played off at the end it would not have been called.

Yeah, it was PI. 

A much much closer play than it seemed at first look. When it happened it looked wildly obvious. In slo-mo, Taron barely hit him before twisting his head around to pretend to look backwards for the ball. They couldn't have made a no call on it. Taron did prevent him from catching the ball and he did hit him while still looking at him while the ball was still in the air.

I thought that was the game until the Football Gods leaned down, and said, "Just 'cause we like you, here's the win, Bills," and the Bills said, "Hey, thanks, but no thanks." God what a horrible horrible ending.

10 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Miami beat that team by 50.  If we are complaining that the Bills lost because the way someone's butt landed, then maybe the Bills failed.

I hear you, but realistically that was not the same Bronco team they were when they played Miami.

But you're right, the Bills just didn't play well enough despite chance after chance after chance to win.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

that and the PI on Taron.  Refs gave the game away.

That was 100% PI. It was close to a great play but it was PI.

Lay the blame where it belongs. Allen and McDermott.

Allen has now lost two games nearly himself - Jets and Broncos. 

Hard to assign all the blame on McD and the defense for this game as they kept them in it until the end. But again just like Pats game(and countless others), the D choked. 

4 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I hear you, but realistically that was not the same Bronco team they were when they played Miami.

But you're right, the Bills just didn't play well enough despite chance after chance after chance to win.

Yeah, I get that.  The Broncos are much better and '70 points!' is purposely misleading.

But the Bills get a Broncos team at home on primetime... and look like.... that.  4 turnovers.  They deserved to lose the game.  It would have been a 'stolen win', same as against the Giants.  

This team is what they appear to be.  It isnt very good and probably slots in in the 3rd quartile of the league.

Just now, May Day 10 said:

Yeah, I get that.  The Broncos are much better and '70 points!' is purposely misleading.

But the Bills get a Broncos team at home on primetime... and look like.... that.  4 turnovers.  They deserved to lose the game.  It would have been a 'stolen win', same as against the Giants.  

This team is what they appear to be.  It isnt very good and probably slots in in the 3rd quartile of the league.

That's how they're playing now. Hard to argue. 

Stolen wins are all right with me. The Chiefs have a couple. Losses are a ton worse than stolen wins. 

They might play better. But they've played pretty poorly for a while now. I'm a lot less hopeful than I was before this game.

5 hours ago, npeartisgod said:

Definitely one of the worst vibes at the Ralph. More weird plays than I’ve ever seen in one game. But, how on EARTH, does an incomplete pass get turned into forward progress first down? Anyone?

Because he caught the ball and his knee was already down making it a dead ball.  He doesn't need to "survive the ground"  because he isn't going to the ground and had already caught the ball. Once his knee is down the play is over.  It was the right call.

Edited by Big Turk

14 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Because he caught the ball and his knee was already down making it a dead ball.  He doesn't need to "survive the ground"  because he isn't going to the ground and had already caught the ball. Once his knee is down the play is over.  It was the right call.

Agree with everything except the part that he isn’t going to the ground.  Looked to me like he was, but probably some forward progress NFL rule mumbo jumbo that cancels it out.  

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Agree with everything except the part that he isn’t going to the ground.  Looked to me like he was, but probably some forward progress NFL rule mumbo jumbo that cancels it out.  

Once they called forward progress was stopped the rest of it was moot because it becomes not reviewable.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.