Fire McDermott - 12 On the Field INEXCUSABLE

WEATHER DOT COM

9 hours ago, boyst said:

the coach is a chump. if josh was playing like that i would have 100% approached Josh in the game. no one did. not one sole was shown and i would 100% bet that means no one on this team or staff talked to him to slap him around.

jeff saturday used to rip manning a new arse whole. countless OC's tore into big ben.

that mcdermott just won't grow a pair like he pretends he has and approach josh is laughable.

mcd probably forgot he has a scrote.

McDermott talked about this in his press conference today. He got a question about him being shown on TV yelling as Josh came off the field. He said sometimes you have to use “tough love”. Huh?  Is Josh that emotionally weak that he can’t be slapped upside the head and asked WTF are you doing? 

• Like (+1) 1

So not sure if the final moments have been detailed in this thread, but I just rewatched it.

The 12 man debacle was just mind blowing, as the Bills had just used TWO timeouts (After the PI on Johnson was called, the Bills called TOs after Denver’s 1st down and 2nd down kneel downs by Wilson). So they obviously knew the FG was coming up very soon, and they had plenty of time during the two TOs to “get their ducks in a row”, yet they didn’t.

Seems obvious to me that one player may have screwed up big time. I assume that the FG defensive unit is always the same 11 guys, so unless one of those guys was injured, who was the 12th guy who shouldn’t have been out there? After Wilson did the kneel down on 3rd down (that play started with :24 left), the Broncos had to run their FG team out there (as the clock was running) and the Bills ran at least FIVE guys from the sideline out there. There really wasn’t time for a Bills defensive Capt to do a head count at that point; and it wouldn’t have mattered anyway because they couldn't call a TO, and there wouldn’t have been enough time for the 12th man to run off the field.

Bottom line is that during those two TOs everything should have been planned out as to who was going to be out there for the FG. Hell, the FG defensive unit should have been put out there on 3rd down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, zow2 said:

I did for sure.  My only solace is that it wasn’t one of those things where a Bills player was half a step from getting off the field and they snapped it. this was flat out 12 guys just standing there. what a joke.  McDermott calls it “inexcusable”.  Ok, now what Sean?!?

And the only defender not on the line of scrimmage was Bernard doing jumping jacks.  Why wasn’t he hurdling over the O-line to block the kick?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

So not sure if the final moments have been detailed in this thread, but I just rewatched it.

The 12 man debacle was just mind blowing, as the Bills had just used TWO timeouts (After the PI on Johnson was called, the Bills called TOs after Denver’s 1st down and 2nd down kneel downs by Wilson). So they obviously knew the FG was coming up very soon, and they had plenty of time during the two TOs to “get their ducks in a row”, yet they didn’t.

Seems obvious to me that one player may have screwed up big time. I assume that the FG defensive unit is always the same 11 guys, so unless one of those guys was injured, who was the 12th guy who shouldn’t have been out there? After Wilson did the kneel down on 3rd down (that play started with :24 left), the Broncos had to run their FG team out there (as the clock was running) and the Bills ran at least FIVE guys from the sideline out there. There really wasn’t time for a Bills defensive Capt to do a head count at that point; and it wouldn’t have mattered anyway because they couldn't call a TO, and there wouldn’t have been enough time for the 12th man to run off the field.

Bottom line is that during those two TOs everything should have been planned out as to who was going to be out there for the FG. Hell, the FG defensive unit should have been put out there on 3rd down.

Floyd is the guy that was out on the first attempt but not the re-kick 

that said, given cycling injuries, needing breathers, and such mid game, I’m not sure how often it’s the same 11 

the real thing is you just spent 5 minutes setting up the scramble. How in the world did you not look every member of the defense in the eye to confirm their role at the tackle/kneel/whistle, and have the 5-7 guys swapping out corralled together on the sideline ready to go?!?!

for heavens sake - you could have assigned guys a tag out partner in that EXTENSIVE window before the biggest play of your season 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

....exactly,  just like 3 years ago when Sean failed to walk out on the field and tell his ST to pooch to the 5.  But he never did that either.  Clueless, lazy & stupid.

• Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

McDermott talked about this in his press conference today. He got a question about him being shown on TV yelling as Josh came off the field. He said sometimes you have to use “tough love”. Huh?  Is Josh that emotionally weak that he can’t be slapped upside the head and asked WTF are you doing? 

When you have no leg to stand on and lost the team - you can't.

43 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

You can’t coach ‘Stupid’ - is the old saw!

But evidently, with the Billsy organization, the COACH can BE stupid… and retain his job! 

20 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Do you know what was worse then to many players on the field?  The fact that McD called an all out blitz TWICE IN A ROW after Sean Payton & Russel Wilson had time during a TO to discuss what they would do if McD did it again.  And Russ threw a sky ball deep and got the expected PI.  It was 3rd & 10 from midfield we didn't need another sack they were alreday out of FG range.

You nailed it.  Might I add that the reason they had 12 personnel on the field was because Mc Dummy had the dime package on the field despite Denver kneeling  for three consecutive downs and didn't change the personnel knowing they are going to attempt a FG. 

Instead he tries to change out of the dime personnel as Denver rushes to get their kicking team an the field. 

He's an absolute genius. 

I hate to disappoint all of  the process believers but be prepared for 7 more weeks of the clown show.   Yes Dorsey, needed to go and IMO was never a good hire for Josh.  However, the real problem with this team remains in charge of the team and the defense.

Pretty sad state for such a promising group of professionals.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Old Coot said:

You do understand that the responsibility for the field goal team is likely on the special teams coach?

It is likely that the late DB injurie messup up the field goal team D.

The D played well enough to win tonight. Who coaches the D?  

Logic has no place here

Thanks for this post you Old Coot ;) 

9 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

The last time I felt like we had dumb coaches was jauron - where you could pull any fan age 6 and up from the stands and they would do a better job 

Is there a single serious fan who thinks that that McDermott does better end of game management than they could.   He is truly horrible at that particular part of coaching. I can't even think of a HC in NFL worse at that aspect.  In fact I am curious if anyone has any candidates for worse than McDermott at end of game management. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bob Jones said:

I was perturbed hearing a McD sound bite from the presser today saying they practiced the exact end of game FG scenario this past week. But when it counted last night they failed to execute. Ugh. Only the Bills.

7 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Is there a single serious fan who thinks that that McDermott does better end of game management than they could.   He is truly horrible at that particular part of coaching. I can't even think of a HC in NFL worse at that aspect.  In fact I am curious if anyone has any candidates for worse than McDermott at end of game management. 

You are not wrong.  

Personally, I have been saying this for seven years now. 

My last straw was the 13 second meltdown. 

I will be a Bills fan until my last breath but that doesn't mean that I have to support this HC.

13 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Well the only team that seems to lose as many if not more close games at the end is Staley of the LA Chargers.  So he and McDermott will get to settle whose the worst on 12/23.

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, JTown said:

You nailed it.  Might I add that the reason they had 12 personnel on the field was because Mc Dummy had the dime package on the field despite Denver kneeling  for three consecutive downs and didn't change the personnel knowing they are going to attempt a FG. 

Instead he tries to change out of the dime personnel as Denver rushes to get their kicking team an the field. 

He's an absolute genius. 

I hate to disappoint all of  the process believers but be prepared for 7 more weeks of the clown show.   Yes Dorsey, needed to go and IMO was never a good hire for Josh.  However, the real problem with this team remains in charge of the team and the defense.

Pretty sad state for such a promising group of professionals.   

I just love the McDermott lovers who keep making lame excuses for this clown.  The guy is not a very good HC and showed in the last two games,  first against Cincy by challenging a call late that was iffy and would only give him 9 net yards on a first down play when you need to save your time outs and then last night and there is also the 13 secs thing. Some Bills have have such low standards or more would have demanded he be fired after 13 secs.

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

Whatever, Dabol would ride his ass when he made bad decisions 

16 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

So who's responsible for ensuring that the proper players are out there?  IMO, McClappy blew it.   It didn't matter what 11 personnel were out the for the three consecutive kneel downs.  He should have taken the dime package out immediately after the PI call.

This is typical McClappy game mismanagement. 

Personally,  I think he looks like a total clown 🤡 by firing Dorsey and not accepting responsibility for his own actions.   Hello...  he could have fired the ST coordinator and not have lost as much respect instead of the option he has chosen. 

Jeff Saturday has flamed him about this and I don't think he is wrong.

There's an article in today's Buffalo News implicating Leonard Floyd as the guilty party.  Some wag in the comments suggested it's the continuing fallout from jet lag. 😁

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills-notebook-leonard-floyd-got-stuck-on-field-for-missed-field-goal-try/article_ced9d45e-8405-11ee-9b69-372b0570138b.html#tracking-source=mp-homepage

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.