Most concerning defensive stat

JerseyBills

7 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

i’m not sure I entirely agree here.

If this were the case you would’ve thought we would’ve forced in INT against the Buc’s and Baker Mayfield. The one game where we did have a two score lead,  putting pressure on the opposing offense.

could be that we are calling a far less aggressive, defensive scheme with the losses of white, Milano and Jones.

if the only way we can get consistent turnovers from our defense is by beating teams by 28+ points, that’s a bit of an issue.

which is ridiculous because we lost what, one player on the D line? And it’s still somehow all crumbled.

Correct! 

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

The Pats game they gave up 29 points to a O that until then was the WORST scoring O in the NFL, I think they are 2nd worse now. 

I agree the O didn’t help but they gave the D the lead with 2 minutes left and all the D had to do was stop Mac Jones from driving down the field. Something he had never done in the 4th quarter his entire career. (Not all his fault the WR kinda stink too) 

for the Pats game I’d say that was a team loss for the Bills. As in both sides of the ball were equally responsible.

The D did force a turnover at the 20 which set up the offense to take the lead.  Had we not led in that game for a precious 90 seconds fans might be thinking differently about this efficiently bad offense.

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Turnovers are not a sustainable method for winning games.  

We beat Miami with assistance from TOs, and got them but didn't need them in wins over the Raiders and Skins.  

I'm not saying we need to get multiple tos per game,  just that 1 in the Last 4 games is unacceptable

42 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

The D did force a turnover at the 20 which set up the offense to take the lead.  Had we not led in that game for a precious 90 seconds fans might be thinking differently about this efficiently bad offense.

I think both sides were responsible equally for the Bills losing. And I wish they had not done that I rather my Pats were 1-8 right now and have I think the 3nd pick in the draft?

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I think both sides were responsible equally for the Bills losing. And I wish they had not done that I rather my Pats were 1-8 right now and have I think the 3nd pick in the draft?

That game may have saved Mac Jones career for another few months.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

From weeks 1-4 ,4 games, defense caused 11 turnovers, including 8 ints

Weeks 5-9, 5 games, defense caused 3 turnovers with zero ints. 

Weeks 6-9, 1 turnover..

This is a disturbing trend,  especially with our turnover prone QB. Hard to win in the NFL. Much harder when you lose the turnover battle. 

This D has to find ways to turn the ball over, bottom line. Turnovers could be the difference between a playoff birth

Turnovers are nearly always a revert to the mean type of stat. 

3 hours ago, Drew21PA said:

Seriously I’d think a more aggressive offense that puts a lot of points on the board can win games better than keeping it close to win games in low scoring

you have Josh freaking Allen

how can they not see this?

we should be using a philosophy of offense scores a ton of points - already the worst defense in the league just don’t lose it

go out and score a ton of points!!!!

I don’t think we’re not trying to score points. There has to be some middle ground here. 

In the Bengals game in the first half the defense couldn’t get off the field and the offense literally couldn’t complete a pass after the first drive until 1:37 into the second. 

In that situation the offense has to be able  to stay in the field for at least a few minutes and let the defense catch its breath. Otherwise they’ll totally break. 

But yes, going into games the teams plan should be score and let teams play catch up. But when the offense puts up 3 1 minute possessions in a row, there has to be some adjustments the other way too. 

We should be able to compete an effing pass you ourself in 1.5 quarters. 

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Weeks 6-9, 1 turnover..

This is a disturbing trend,  especially with our turnover prone QB. Hard to win in the NFL. Much harder when you lose the turnover battle. 

This D has to find ways to turn the ball over, bottom line. Turnovers could be the difference between a playoff birth

relying on turnovers is hard living on defense

too much luck factor

59 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm not saying we need to get multiple tos per game,  just that 1 in the Last 4 games is unacceptable

Out-executing opponents is the way to go.  TOs help swing games but shouldn't be relied upon.  

We have not outexecuted anyone over the past five weeks.  

3 hours ago, Beast said:

The defensive ends are probably the biggest disappointment on the team.

Not getting to the QB. No big sacks. No knocking the ball loose from the QB. No forcing the QB’s to throw a pick with pressure.

With the high picks and salary spent at this position, the return on those investments is a flat out failure.

high picks is a relative term- outside von, they are all second and third tier. These are not top 10 elite investments and DE is a bit like qb- it’s hard to get them outside top picks 

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

relying on turnovers is hard living on defense

too much luck factor

The Bills D's experience with turnovers forced is not luck but a rock-solid trend under McDermott: 9th in 2017, 8th in 2018, 10th in 2019, 3rd in 2020, 3rd in 2021, 4th and 2022, and 1st through the first five games of 2023. Over the last four games, they've been dead last not because of bad luck, but because the remaining players aren't good enough. They've fallen from first to 11th, which while not bad is deceiving because of how sharp the fall has been. In any event, the current ranking is the worst in McDermott's 7 years as head coach. Their boundary corners have no nose for the ball and are happy to simply defend passes. They're missing a turnover machine in Milano too. Rasul Douglas actually has experience making picks, so maybe it'll get a little better. It can't get any worse.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I don’t think we’re not trying to score points. There has to be some middle ground here. 

In the Bengals game in the first half the defense couldn’t get off the field and the offense literally couldn’t complete a pass after the first drive until 1:37 into the second. 

In that situation the offense has to be able  to stay in the field for at least a few minutes and let the defense catch its breath. Otherwise they’ll totally break. 

But yes, going into games the teams plan should be score and let teams play catch up. But when the offense puts up 3 1 minute possessions in a row, there has to be some adjustments the other way too. 

We should be able to compete an effing pass you ourself in 1.5 quarters. 

I would agree but Dorsey completely changed the philosophy we will call it - something changed becuase that first drive they had the bengals

we could have gone toe to toe TD for TD but something changed in the play calls and if it’s what I’m hearing here that it was McDermott saying “slow it down” well - he needs to realize his team is what it is

3 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

i’m not sure I entirely agree here.

If this were the case you would’ve thought we would’ve forced in INT against the Buc’s and Baker Mayfield. The one game where we did have a two score lead,  putting pressure on the opposing offense.

could be that we are calling a far less aggressive, defensive scheme with the losses of white, Milano and Jones.

if the only way we can get consistent turnovers from our defense is by beating teams by 28+ points, that’s a bit of an issue.

which is ridiculous because we lost what, one player on the D line? And it’s still somehow all crumbled.

See we did but poyer dropped one and I think a corner dropped one

would have probably been a pick 6 by poyer but he dropped it so my point is valid 

4 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

The Pats game they gave up 29 points to a O that until then was the WORST scoring O in the NFL, I think they are 2nd worse now. 

I agree the O didn’t help but they gave the D the lead with 2 minutes left and all the D had to do was stop Mac Jones from driving down the field. Something he had never done in the 4th quarter his entire career. (Not all his fault the WR kinda stink too) 

for the Pats game I’d say that was a team loss for the Bills. As in both sides of the ball were equally responsible.

Again missing it - they were good becuase of the bills offense

we gave them a 14pt lead and the pats had a swag and confidence they haven’t had all year - you should know this your a pats fan

im not blaming the refs but that score at the end should have never happened - illegal linemen downfield kills that drive - max becomes desperate I am talking about - the play calls completely change and buffalo leaves with a victory

but I won’t blame the refs for that I’ll blame the offense and Ken Dorsey becuase it’s his fault the last month completely sucks - couple with McDermott not being a leader and Ken Dorsey is basically running the show into the ground 

5 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Weeks 6-9, 1 turnover..

I mean when you lose Tre, Milano, and Jones for the season by the first quarter of week 5 this is what happens.  Not to mention other key guys missed some timet too like Oliver and Bernard.  

Its not a defensive trend as much as it is an injury trend.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I mean when you lose Tre, Milano, and Jones for the season by the first quarter of week 5 this is what happens.  Not to mention other key guys missed some timet too like Oliver and Bernard.  

Its not a defensive trend as much as it is an injury trend.

I agree but regardless, it's a trend, injuries or not

7 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I agree but regardless, it's a trend, injuries or not

I hear ya, and its why Beane went out and added Rasul and Linval.  But for me, a much more concerning trend is the offense averaging 19 points a game for last 5 weeks while having no injuries and playing the easiest part of our schedule.  

Our defense has kept the scores low enough to where this team could be undefeated had the offense just done its part.  And that is with an insanely bad luck run of injuries to the D while the O has not had any real significant injuries.   

5 hours ago, Drew21PA said:

I would agree but Dorsey completely changed the philosophy we will call it - something changed becuase that first drive they had the bengals

we could have gone toe to toe TD for TD but something changed in the play calls and if it’s what I’m hearing here that it was McDermott saying “slow it down” well - he needs to realize his team is what it is

See we did but poyer dropped one and I think a corner dropped one

would have probably been a pick 6 by poyer but he dropped it so my point is valid 

how do you explain the defense only getting turnovers in the games we win by 28 though? Good defenses can create turnovers in tight low scoring games. It doesn’t matter what rhe offense is or isn’t doing? That’s basically been the reality for Jets defense for two years now. 

Again, we have a defensive problem if they can only create turnovers with a two score lead. 

8 hours ago, ngbills said:

Turnovers are nearly always a revert to the mean type of stat. 

interceptions tend to be tied to pressure

fumbles can have some coaching but fumble recoveries once on the ground tend to be dumb luck 

if you are getting a ton of picks without pressure, or recovering a high percentage of fumbles, expect those to regress. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.