Most concerning defensive stat

JerseyBills

From weeks 1-4 ,4 games, defense caused 11 turnovers, including 8 ints

Weeks 5-9, 5 games, defense caused 3 turnovers with zero ints. 

Weeks 6-9, 1 turnover..

This is a disturbing trend,  especially with our turnover prone QB. Hard to win in the NFL. Much harder when you lose the turnover battle. 

This D has to find ways to turn the ball over, bottom line. Turnovers could be the difference between a playoff birth

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

I’ve said this a million times it’s really not the defense

rhise offenses we have faced the last 3-4 weeks have been able to do their best plays and limit turnovers becuase our offense applies ZERO PRESSURE - for the other team to have to push the ball and play more “desperate “

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Drew21PA said:

rhise offenses we have faced the last 3-4 weeks have been able to do their best plays and limit turnovers becuase our offense applies ZERO PRESSURE - for the other team to have to push the ball and play more “desperate “

That's an interesting take honestly.  Regardless,  we have to cause t.os

it's not like teams are just running out the clock but i get your point 

Just now, JerseyBills said:

That's an interesting take honestly.  Regardless,  we have to cause t.os

it's not like teams are just running out the clock but i get your point 

No you’re right they need turnovers but look even at the patriots game

we got down and max played with confidence O’Brien had zero reason to try to force anything and gave his qb plays that were easy and effective.

if they were down even 7 - mac would panic and then O’Brien would have to try different things - that leads to more mistakes.

same with the giants - we couldn’t get a lead - they were able to limit tyrod and still be effective 

forward to cincinatti

joe was playing hurt - we got to him on defense he was clearly rattled.  They were able to go conservative becuase we couldn’t score anyways - they were getting nervous before Kincaid fumbled (no blame there he played lights out) and they were able to easily go down field because our team is soft and kind of lost hope.  

blame 

McDermott for not mentally preparing this team like - ever

blame 

offensive coordinator for ZERO killer instinct ar all and has never had it over the last two seasons

daboll had it - kill this now

dorsey clearly does not - you have a killer ar qb

not an interrogator 

go for the kills 

Truly believe if we stay up tempo we would have beaten the bengals with a shoot out

i really believe that - I think anyone watching the game saw when we picked it up 

first drive of game - first drive of second half before Kincaid fimble

punch for punch shootout wr would win

dorsey is a wimp and this team will not go anywhere 

Dorsey is the big problem

underlying problem is McDermott terrible leadership and he’s hit a ceiling I believe 

decision making is ridiculous 

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

complementary football for this squad would be getting fast leads and hoping our safeties can ball hawk. Let edge rushers (and guys like ed o and Phillips) get up field. 

If the defense is going to be crippled by injury, let’s let these guys play more 1 dimensionally 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

complementary football for this squad would be getting fast leads and hoping our safeties can ball hawk. Let edge rushers (and guys like ed o and Phillips) get up field. 

If the defense is going to be crippled by injury, let’s let these guys play more 1 dimensionally 

Seriously I’d think a more aggressive offense that puts a lot of points on the board can win games better than keeping it close to win games in low scoring

you have Josh freaking Allen

how can they not see this?

we should be using a philosophy of offense scores a ton of points - already the worst defense in the league just don’t lose it

go out and score a ton of points!!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

No you’re right they need turnovers but look even at the patriots game

we got down and max played with confidence O’Brien had zero reason to try to force anything and gave his qb plays that were easy and effective.

if they were down even 7 - mac would panic and then O’Brien would have to try different things - that leads to more mistakes.

same with the giants - we couldn’t get a lead - they were able to limit tyrod and still be effective 

forward to cincinatti

joe was playing hurt - we got to him on defense he was clearly rattled.  They were able to go conservative becuase we couldn’t score anyways - they were getting nervous before Kincaid fumbled (no blame there he played lights out) and they were able to easily go down field because our team is soft and kind of lost hope.  

blame 

McDermott for not mentally preparing this team like - ever

blame 

offensive coordinator for ZERO killer instinct ar all and has never had it over the last two seasons

daboll had it - kill this now

dorsey clearly does not - you have a killer ar qb

not an interrogator 

go for the kills 

Truly believe if we stay up tempo we would have beaten the bengals with a shoot out

i really believe that - I think anyone watching the game saw when we picked it up 

first drive of game - first drive of second half before Kincaid fimble

punch for punch shootout wr would win

dorsey is a wimp and this team will not go anywhere 

Dorsey is the big problem

underlying problem is McDermott terrible leadership and he’s hit a ceiling I believe 

decision making is ridiculous 

Kind of agree with this.  McDermott needs a Daboll type as OC to balance out his conservative turtle tactics.  I’m not a huge fan of Daboll but his offensive philosophy was definitely more aggressive than Dorsey’s.  Despite the injuries, you still have a lot of high draft picks and veterans on the defense.  McDermott should be able scheme up an adequate defense without asking the offense to move slower.  

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Kind of agree with this.  McDermott needs a Daboll type as OC to balance out his conservative turtle tactics.  I’m not a huge fan of Daboll but his offensive philosophy was definitely more aggressive than Dorsey’s.  Despite the injuries, you still have a lot of high draft picks and veterans on the defense.  McDermott should be able scheme up an adequate defense without asking the offense to move slower.  

I felt the front 4 got to burrow better than they did last year - he was clearly rattled in the 2nd and third quarters 

• Agree 2

I've always agreed that the two most important stats in the NFL to determine victory are turnover ratio and 3rd down conversions.  Whichever team is better at both usually wins, especially turnovers.  But fumbles and INTs are kind of lucky.  They could cause 12 turnovers over the final eight games or 2.  It's completely random in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

Seriously I’d think a more aggressive offense that puts a lot of points on the board can win games better than keeping it close to win games in low scoring

you have Josh freaking Allen

how can they not see this?

we should be using a philosophy of offense scores a ton of points - already the worst defense in the league just don’t lose it

go out and score a ton of points!!!!

it’s the manning/colts model. Get a lead, rush the passer and hope for a couple turnovers. 

forcing the defense to play stout against the run and pass seems like worst case scenario 

• Like (+1) 3

How many dropped picks?

I know poyer has dropped like 3

Just now, NoSaint said:

it’s the manning/colts model. Get a lead, rush the passer and hope for a couple turnovers. 

forcing the defense to play stout against the run and pass seems like worst case scenario 

A losers model

i remember those colts and patriot defenses mid season were terrible

Model was 

keep putting up points becuase we have the best qb in the league 

didn’t matter who the weapons were.  Scheme to score points!

they did and the defense looked middle of the pack and played more confidently 

31 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

We did 7-7 after the 1st 2 drives.  They scored on their 2nd,we didn't and Sean got scared.

You cant overcome your HC being afraid and handcuffing you

24 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Now that Douglas and Joseph should be up to speed, I have zero appetite to hear about injuries anymore. 

Im not talking about us being elite on defense, that’s fair to say we won’t get there due to the losses of Jones, Milano and White.. but they’ve now been replaced by Joseph and Douglas.  

We also drafted a LB in RD3 who should be able to learn as he goes given we’ve filled in the other spots. 

Figure it out.  McDermott has more than enough to work with .. and this defense better rise up from the dregs of the NFL where they’ve been residing for a month….  It was unacceptable with a defensive HC then, and will certainly be unacceptable now. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, SoonerBillsFan said:

We did 7-7 after the 1st 2 drives.  They scored on their 2nd,we didn't and Sean got scared.

You cant overcome your HC being afraid and handcuffing you

Sick of seeing his pale face with that helpless look 👀 “oh no what do we do now” look

the other person that dies this is Franklin in penn state when he’s playing Michigan and Ohio state and he is a gutless coward too

will never win a championship 

1 minute ago, Drew21PA said:

Sick of seeing his pale face with that helpless look 👀 “oh no what do we do now” look

the other person that dies this is Franklin in penn state when he’s playing Michigan and Ohio state and he is a gutless coward too

will never win a championship 

Pale like he’s gonna puke 

The defensive ends are probably the biggest disappointment on the team.

Not getting to the QB. No big sacks. No knocking the ball loose from the QB. No forcing the QB’s to throw a pick with pressure.

With the high picks and salary spent at this position, the return on those investments is a flat out failure.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

I felt the front 4 got to burrow better than they did last year - he was clearly rattled in the 2nd and third quarters 

Agreed, but let’s be honest.  The ease by which Cincy scored on the 1st drive and somewhat so on the 2nd drive put a lot of pressure on the offense to score a TD on every drive.  It wasn’t until Joseph body slammed Burrow that their offense started to sputter.  Absent that play and a cut to Burrows finger on his throwing hand, the Bengals probably go up by 3 scores and game is over by middie of 2nd quarter like the playoff game.  Unacceptable to come out and get rolled in 3 consecutive games especially for a defensive head coach.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I've always agreed that the two most important stats in the NFL to determine victory are turnover ratio and 3rd down conversions.  Whichever team is better at both usually wins, especially turnovers.  But fumbles and INTs are kind of lucky.  They could cause 12 turnovers over the final eight games or 2.  It's completely random in my opinion.

Great point. I saw a stat on twitter, forget exact number of fumbles but Buf had like 8 and lost 5. Miami had 16 and lost 5. So luck is definitely part of it

6 minutes ago, Beast said:

The defensive ends are probably the biggest disappointment on the team.

Not getting to the QB. No big sacks. No knocking the ball loose from the QB. No forcing the QB’s to throw a pick with pressure.

With the high picks and salary spent at this position, the return on those investments is a flat out failure.

Maybe Jones was just that valuable,  creating pressure up the middle and forcing QBs into our DEs because they were extremely effective before his injury

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.