Most concerning defensive stat

JerseyBills

56 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

how do you explain the defense only getting turnovers in the games we win by 28 though? Good defenses can create turnovers in tight low scoring games. It doesn’t matter what rhe offense is or isn’t doing? That’s basically been the reality for Jets defense for two years now. 

Again, we have a defensive problem if they can only create turnovers with a two score lead. 

No we dont

again pay attention when our offense goes and we get a lead other teams get in desperation and therefore turnovers happen why we get turnovers when we win by 28 how is that hard to understand ?

13 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

From weeks 1-4 ,4 games, defense caused 11 turnovers, including 8 ints

Weeks 5-9, 5 games, defense caused 3 turnovers with zero ints. 

Weeks 6-9, 1 turnover..

This is a disturbing trend,  especially with our turnover prone QB. Hard to win in the NFL. Much harder when you lose the turnover battle. 

This D has to find ways to turn the ball over, bottom line. Turnovers could be the difference between a playoff birth

Weeks 1-9 … we give receivers a 12-yard cushion on every third down. 

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Drew21PA said:

No we dont

again pay attention when our offense goes and we get a lead other teams get in desperation and therefore turnovers happen why we get turnovers when we win by 28 how is that hard to understand ?

I think this is probably right👍

Easier to generate turnovers when the opposing offense needs to put the ball at risk to get back into the game

I think the three big injuries: Tre White, Daquan Jones, and Matt Milano have killed the Bills defense.  I'm hopeful that Linval Joseph and Rasul Douglas will make a difference, but the guys playing in Matt Milano's place don't measure up to the play that Buffalo is used to getting from Milano.  Dorian Williams may eventually become a linebacker with Milano like traits, but he's still early in his learning curve.

5 hours ago, Drew21PA said:

No we dont

Why can't we get turnovers when the game is tied or when we are trailing by one score or only up by 3? Is it THAT impossible? If so, then that is a defensive problem. Not an offensive problem. The Jets are the second lowest scoring team in the league and yet their defense has the same number of INT's as the Bills and one less total takeaway. Miami is the highest scoring team in the league and yet their defense is tied for the second fewest INT's in the league.

I'm not saying your logic is totally incorrect here, it makes sense in theory, but it is far less impactful than you give it credit. If the logic was sound the Jets and Dolphins examples would be reversed. It simply comes down to the Jets having really good defensive personnel and the Dolphins having trash defensive personnel in comparison. The Bills, after the injuries, are somewhere in between the two and that is the most significant factor as to why the INT's have dried up. Not because the offense can't maintain two score leads. 

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Weeks 1-9 … we give receivers a 12-yard cushion on every third down. 

McD may be running this defensive show but the same 7-10 yard cushion that Frazier called is being used by McD.  Very little has changed except for a slight uptick in blitz %.   We need to either return to an aggressive uptempo 11P or just f-ing fire Dorsey.  He coordinates about as well as he played qb in the NFL.  Our D is devastated with 4 starters out. Yes I'm including Von considering how worthless he's been.  If our offense doesn't generate a decent halftime lead, our D doesn't stand a chance. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/9/2023 at 9:17 AM, SCBills said:

Now that Douglas and Joseph should be up to speed, I have zero appetite to hear about injuries anymore. 

Im not talking about us being elite on defense, that’s fair to say we won’t get there due to the losses of Jones, Milano and White.. but they’ve now been replaced by Joseph and Douglas.  

We also drafted a LB in RD3 who should be able to learn as he goes given we’ve filled in the other spots. 

Figure it out.  McDermott has more than enough to work with .. and this defense better rise up from the dregs of the NFL where they’ve been residing for a month….  It was unacceptable with a defensive HC then, and will certainly be unacceptable now. 

I mean

CB1 - White out for year

LB1 - Milano out indefinitely

NT1 - DQ out indefinitely

and this week... 

CB2 - Benford has a hamstring

S - Hyde has a neck injury

S - Poyer has a leg injury

LB2 - Bernard is still in concussion protocal

We legit might be missing... the entire starting secondary, and both starting linebackers.  

• Like (+1) 1

Again we lose the T.O battle. Defense did have 4 sacks, 8 QB hits but as i say, it's hard to win in the nfl, much harder losing the t.o battle. 

By far the biggest reason for last night imo. 

On 11/11/2023 at 12:32 PM, frostbitmic said:

Most concerning thing regarding the defense for me is the number of serious injuries this side of the ball has, two years running now.

Is it because the defense is too small, too old, is it the scheme, bad luck ?

A mixture. Mostly bad luck with Milano Tre Jones and even Hyde who is older but got assaulted blindly after a play. 

13 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Again we lose the T.O battle. Defense did have 4 sacks, 8 QB hits but as i say, it's hard to win in the nfl, much harder losing the t.o battle. 

By far the biggest reason for last night imo. 

A mixture. Mostly bad luck with Milano Tre Jones and even Hyde who is older but got assaulted blindly after a play. 

It’s hard to win the TO battle when the offense is giftwrapping TOs to the other team. 

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It’s hard to win the TO battle when the offense is giftwrapping TOs to the other team. 

Agreed. But 1 turnover in the last 5 weeks is unacceptable 

It lost us the last 2 weeks

On a positive,  it's a fixable issue 

On a negative,  it's a concerning trend 

13 minutes ago, Nuncha said:

Defense on the field way too long the last two games.  With this and all the injuries it's amazing they didn't completely collapse.  

37:21 Broncos, Bills 22:39

36:38 Bengals, Bills 23:22 

great point.. They've looked good the last 7 quarters considering everything going against them- offense is killing us but nonetheless,  5 games and 1 t.o is bad

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 1

I cannot for the life of me understand how these DB's are coached? They are constantly giving the receiver a 5-10 yard cushion. Even on plays that are quick passes. When the QB has all day to throw its even worse. This despite the fact that none of the DB's has the speed to close down the receiver and get there in time to intercept the ball or break it up. Sometimes they don't even get there in time for tackle. The 2nd problem is that they never look for the ball. They literally time their coverage by staring at the receiver's actions. Last night, Wilson serves up a pop fly pass that should have been easily intercepted, let alone knocked down but Johnson has no idea where the ball is and times his challenge really badly and collides with the receiver. Had he just made a slight effort to find the ball and turne, the contact would have been probably incidental and there is no flag. Instead he makes no effort and the refs are quickly convinced of PI.  I don't think I have ever seen a team that is worse in these two areas of pass defense than this current Buffalo Bills squad. I've seen better coaching in college and CFL. That is all on McD and his defensive crew!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.