2024 Salary Cap

Mikie2times

Why is there an insistent Bengals fan presence in this thread about the Bills salary cap situation? I generally cherish having access to a diversity of perspectives and voices on a given issue, but I find it tedious af to see discussions sidetracked by a specific rival fan's contributions. Which is completely separate from my favorably ambivalent feelings about this particular poster's persona in general. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just to make sure all are on the same page. It also makes you boot players that have expiring contracts. I do not believe we will sign Floyd, Hyde, or Settle (Maybe Hyde on super discount). I do believe we will sign Jones. The main point I'm making is after this exercise we have 36 signed players and are only about 5 million under. So this won't be enough. Additions of any kind will be very difficult and you can see the depth is a serious issue.   

image.thumb.png.14cf6ef0a03837a288fddbbef7dde95a.png

image.thumb.png.d073ee5584c555ffe1f80cb330ba5a8a.png

25 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Just to make sure all are on the same page. It also makes you boot players that have expiring contracts. I do not believe we will sign Floyd, Hyde, or Settle (Maybe Hyde on super discount). I do believe we will sign Jones. The main point I'm making is after this exercise we have 36 signed players and are only about 5 million under. So this won't be enough. Additions of any kind will be very difficult and you can see the depth is a serious issue.   

It will obviously take some significant restructures (Diggs and Allen go a LONG way there) to get the cap in order next season, beyond the potential cuts. 

Edited by Richard Noggin

14 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Right, but if we don’t have Bates, we still have to find someone and pay them to play Center.  Bates is at a pretty good price for what we’d have to pay a decent center from elsewhere, unless we find someone in the draft.  I don’t think we will want to re-sign Hyde bc of age and Poyer might be done too, but we will still need FS and SS replacements, so didn’t know if you had contemplated who that might be.

Hyde and Poyer are slow and beat up.  They play hard but neither can cover anymore.  We need to find some young safeties that can play.  No team has 2 starting safeties that are 33 years old.  That is part of our problem.  We need young talent.  

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

They will
Bates will go to center

Is Bates good enough to be a starting NFL center and anchor a good NFL O line is the big question ?

• Like (+1) 1

I have said it before, but IMO the Bills should really consider a 'down year' to reset the cap.  Probably rely on a lot of low-priced replacement level plugs.  

Even with that and Josh Allen (and a schedule that looks not that daunting as of now), they could probably challenge for the playoffs.  

Then in 2025 on, have money to spend in the right places and pay the right people.  

Right now we constantly have gobs of money on IR, and lots of old and slow (and aging) guys eating cap.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Next season is another re-tooling and fat trimming. 

What do you mean by another its not like they have been doing this?   I think the OP has some likely moves but that barely gets the Bills under the cap and there will be lots of holes to fill.  The numbers work but who are the safeties?  Who are the DT's?  #2, #4, #5 WR?

14 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Will be interesting to see what they plan on doing with Rasul Douglas. I believe he's a 9M cap hit next year...with no guarantees. Maybe an extension lowers that number a fair amount...or if he doesn't do well the rest of the year we can walk at no cost.

I have to think Beane sees him as more than a rental being he still has contract left. I think he ultimately replaces Tre assuming he plays well to finish out the season and will get an extension to keep him around for 2-3 more seasons. The question to me is who replaces Hyde/Power. I don't mind keeping Rapp to replace Poyer but replacing Hyde might be more difficult. 

8 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

Maybe that's why Beane is trying to acquire more draft picks (see cheap depth) 

8 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I have said it before, but IMO the Bills should really consider a 'down year' to reset the cap.  Probably rely on a lot of low-priced replacement level plugs.  

Even with that and Josh Allen (and a schedule that looks not that daunting as of now), they could probably challenge for the playoffs.  

Then in 2025 on, have money to spend in the right places and pay the right people.  

Right now we constantly have gobs of money on IR, and lots of old and slow (and aging) guys eating cap.  

our low dollar guys seem to perform at the same level as our expensive guys.

rookie DK is way better than 10++ non catching tight end DKnox, rookie shakir is better than anyone at wr not on a rook contract with a name other than diggs, late additin vet joeseph is better than settle, or ford.  it's a joke what we do w our picks and cap.  

Just now, colin said:

our low dollar guys seem to perform at the same level as our expensive guys.

rookie DK is way better than 10++ non catching tight end DKnox, rookie shakir is better than anyone at wr not on a rook contract with a name other than diggs, late additin vet joeseph is better than settle, or ford.  it's a joke what we do w our picks and cap.  

It's exactly why we are in the situation we are. Beane has failed.  He hit the lottery with Josh Allen and pretty much ***** the bed everywhere else and put us in cap hell.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Caesar said:

Bengals very rarely trade.  They had a preseason trade a couple years ago for BJ Hill who was a backup for a backup center.  We have had only 2 in-season trades in the last 50 years, both players were upset and demanded trades; Dunlap & Palmer.

The Benglas value draft choices more than gold, despite the fact that for 12 seasons prior to Burrow the drafting was pathetically awful.  The Bengals disdain for trades is mind-numing pathetic to their fanbase.   We could have used a RB, DT and TE.... we made no calls, took no calls while Beane picked up all 3.  Fans are less vocal the last couple of seasons because of the current success, but for decades prior we experienced nonstop criminally bad front office and ownership decisions.

Agree Bengals were a train wreck for a long time, worse even the the Bills.

Actually didn't Buffalo trade one of their tackles to the Bengals and allowed them to move up in draft.  Was one of the picks indirectly used to get Allen.  My post wasn't just referring to in season trades.  I was more implying they may have traded off players for more picks to rebuild.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

It's exactly why we are in the situation we are. Beane has failed.  He hit the lottery with Josh Allen and pretty much ***** the bed everywhere else and put us in cap hell.  I'm not so sure McDermott don't have something to do with that

41 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Hyde and Poyer are slow and beat up.  They play hard but neither can cover anymore.  We need to find some young safeties that can play.  No team has 2 starting safeties that are 33 years old.  That is part of our problem.  We need young talent.  

Completely agree.  My hope is at least one of those replacements is already on the roster, in maybe a guy like Benford or Douglas, but either way, they need to get younger in their defense backfield and have holes they need to fill.  Taron Johnson’s quickness won’t last forever either.  They really need to hope the light can go on for Elam soon. 

• Agree 1

I wonder if the market will ever correct for the lofty QB dollars.  It seems that if you hit on a QB early [e.g. Mahomes, Wilson] that you can build a decent team around them, but once the non-rookie contract kicks in, except if you are Andy Reed, you can't afford much of a complimentary cast.

Brady took below market dollars for years, but I doubt any agent these days is going to allow a promising QB to take anything less than top dollar for their second contract.

15 hours ago, ganesh said:

Plus Epenesa will hit FA.  We will then be down to only Groot as a pass rusher.   this team is in a mess.

its insane seeing all the draft capital we've spent on the dline, only to still need to draft dline bcuz the guys we've drafted suck.

Definition of insanity comes to mind here. Perhaps we should just trade or go to FA for our dline, since we're incapable of drafting for the position? Floyd stands out from all the guys we've brought in, (Von excluded but even that is worrisome atm) but what do we have to show for the years of drafting for the position?

Theres plenty of other areas we could use our draft capital on, for other needs. Perhaps we'll have better luck drafting for those?

Also the extensions Beane has handed out have handcuffed this roster. Dawson Knox didnt need an extension when we gave him one for instance. Ed Oliver etc.

Its hard to expect the people who created this mess are capable of rectifying it. Time will tell i suppose. GO BILLS

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.