1. 1. Single reason for the Offense doing poorly

• Allen has lost his focus and doesn't prep
    • Dorsey sucks
    • Insufficient number of good WRs
    • Running game sucks
    • OL is terrible
    • McDermott is messing with Dorsey's planning
    • McDermott is giving Dorsey too much free rein

I definitely think Dorsey is the main problem, but I’ll also add that I’m deeply disappointed with the performance of the offensive line, which at times looks confused and overmatched despite upgrades at multiple positions. Sure, Brown has continued to suck, but I’m starting to think the OL coach is not all he’s cracked up to be.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Rubes said:

I definitely think Dorsey is the main problem, but I’ll also add that I’m deeply disappointed with the performance of the offensive line, which at times looks confused and overmatched despite upgrades at multiple positions. Sure, Brown has continued to suck, but I’m starting to think the OL coach is not all he’s cracked up to be.

I think the O-Line looks worse than they are in reality precisely because of Dorsey.  It feels like the defense always knows what we're doing (and we succeed in spite of that), and I think that puts a lot more strain on the players to execute, because there's no creativity.  

On the hurry up we succeed as a unit. Why is that? To me, it seems like it's because Dorsey has less involvement in play decisions during those up tempo moments.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bruffalo said:

I think the O-Line looks worse than they are in reality precisely because of Dorsey.  It feels like the defense always knows what we're doing (and we succeed in spite of that), and I think that puts a lot more strain on the players to execute, because there's no creativity.  

On the hurry up we succeed as a unit. Why is that? To me, it seems like it's because Dorsey has less involvement in play decisions during those up tempo moments.  

You definitely have a good point there, it sure does seem that way at times.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rubes said:

you mean the 11th-ranked right tackle in all of football, according to PFF! ;)

Haha but in all seriousness, I think the line as a whole has done pretty well this season.  There were a ton of plays last night where Josh had all day but either no one was open, or he wasn’t finding an open guy.

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

There are lot of reasons being thrown out for the Bills not performing up to expectations. I wanted to isolate the Offense and get the community's feeling on the top reason. The question is simple - what is the top reason for the Offense's underperformance? Don't weigh in with "its a combination of reasons". I am just looking for your opinion on the top reason. 

My opinion - it's Dorsey and his schemes. 

Its not just one thing… 

Doresy has some issues, Josh is extremely inconsistent, the o line is inconsistent, they struggle to run the ball and the WR talent is lacking. 

as opposed to any one thing it’s a lot closer to all of the above. Especially when matching up against good teams. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I watch other teams, and WRs are running wide open for easy completions. I never see that with the Bills and I think it is a combination of scheme, lack of talented receivers, and Allen not pulling the trigger quickly enough (in that order of importance).

the third one is just as big. Look at the int under throw to Gabe. Gabe is the least open of all players on second and long… terrible  decision to throw that same stupid ball as vs the patriots that got picked.

Forced the same one later to Diggs and an absolutely perfect nearly impossible pass connected, but that is the Josh allen experience. 

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I don't know if that's on Kincaid or Dorsey. I would like to think that being a rookie, he needs coaching on running NFL routes and in this scheme. If his depth of target is low, I have to first look at Dorsey. 

Anyways, I can't see who voted for which option. what's your top reason? 

Receiving talent.

People VASTLY overrate the import of the OC.   

Aaron Rodgers won 2 MVP's with Nate Hackett as his OC.    Even the most famous offensive minds of the day.......Reid and Shanahan........have proven to be greatly limited by the QB and/or receiving talent during their careers.

The poll option I really want isn't there: I think everything starts with the example our head coach sets. He seems like a great person, and I know he works as hard as anyone. But he's worked himself into a ball of nerves. He doesn't coach with confidence, and I think his timid "trying not to lose" attitude pervades every part of the team: players, coordinators, and assistant coaches. It's gotten worse over the past few years. 

It's obvious with his deer-in-headlights in-game decisions (random defensive timeouts, decisions to waste timeouts on foolish challenges, etc), but I bet that weak mindset is manifesting itself in many other ways that we can't see as fans. The guy is visibly pained and shaken on gameday, and the players are absolutely going to see and feel that. You can't keep up a facade of confidence in a position of leadership like that. Dorsey is just a symptom of the larger McDermott failure.

Edited by DC Greg
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

boy, from the looks of this board the 12 packs went down pretty hard last night.  lighten up boys,  we'll be 7-4 in a couple weeks and the sun will come back out for everyone

if Dorsey really is the issue (and there is no way for a fan to know.. hell we don't know the play calls, the checks , etc) he'll get his due in a couple months, no worries there

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

There should be a voting choice for simply McDermott imo.

I don't think McDermott is exclusively the reason though you may argue he is go root of the underperformance of the team as a whole. I was focusing on the O and hence didn't include that choice 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Receiving talent.

People VASTLY overrate the import of the OC.   

Aaron Rodgers won 2 MVP's with Nate Hackett as his OC.    Even the most famous offensive minds of the day.......Reid and Shanahan........have proven to be greatly limited by the QB and/or receiving talent during their careers.

Respectfully, the Rodgers-Hackett comp is compelling but in the Bills' case, Kincaid is coming along as a #2 though not an impactful one yet. 

I am torn tbh but think that a competent OC can make best use of the resources available. I am also not absolving Allen of blame. 

So far the results overwhelmingly say that the community consensus is Dorsey.  

How about the disconnect between Beane and his HC and OC?

The guy has brought in about 37 different running backs via tread, FA and draft and None of them have been properly utilized. 

I don’t know if that’s on Beane or McDermott - but it is clearly a problem. 

Coming into the season (again) with Diggs and “dot dot dot” at WR was foolish.  

Beane practically sold his soul to get Hines and the McDermott brain trust turned him into a special teamer (I know this was last season, but it still pisses me off). 

Ze did finally kind of address the o line, but with limited weapons, how much will that matter?  

Beane has done this offense no favors, but Dorsey’s ineptitude- I’m my humble opinion- is the biggest problem. 

And I’ll add that Hollywood Josh is a close #2. 

He’s looked like TuhROD, the way he holds the ball so long. 

19 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I don't think McDermott is exclusively the reason though you may argue he is go root of the underperformance of the team as a whole. I was focusing on the O and hence didn't include that choice 

Respectfully, the Rodgers-Hackett comp is compelling but in the Bills' case, Kincaid is coming along as a #2 though not an impactful one yet. 

I am torn tbh but think that a competent OC can make best use of the resources available. I am also not absolving Allen of blame. 

So far the results overwhelmingly say that the community consensus is Dorsey.  

My track record when against the community is stellar. :lol:

Sadly, the largest % of the active posting community are people who say they don't watch the rest of the NFL much........but are on the edge of their seat at the trade deadline to see if one of the 50 or so opposing players that they've heard of gets traded to the Bills...........and then complain that they've never heard of Rasul Douglas.

Those kinda' people blame the OC whenever anything doesn't work offensively..........then it turns TSW into an echo chamber when struggles persist.........regardless of the real, and usually much more nuanced reasons why.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

My track record when against the community is stellar. :lol:

Sadly, the largest % of the active posting community are people who say they don't watch the rest of the NFL much........but are on the edge of their seat at the trade deadline to see if one of the 50 or so opposing players that they've heard of gets traded to the Bills...........and then complain that they've never heard of Rasul Douglas.

Those kinda' people blame the OC whenever anything doesn't work offensively..........then it turns TSW into an echo chamber when struggles persist.........regardless of the real, and usually much more nuanced reasons why.

All hail to the all-knowing one. 

It must hurt to be so much smarter than everyone else on the planet. 

Know you are loved. 

Edited by Gugny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.