Bears CB Jaylon Johnson Requests to be Traded

ExiledInIllinois

44 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

This brings up an important point. There’s some real risk here as a trade and contract extension could be coming at a “buying high” point. This is probably why the Bears and his agent aren’t able to get a deal done. The agent wants paid on this season while the Bears are looking at the whole body of work.

My best guess is that nothing happens with him today and a deal gets done with the Bears at some point. 

True - but he’s 24. Isn’t his ascension just natural with age?

• Like (+1) 1

Democrat & Chronicle‘s Sal Maiorana believes Johnson would be a great fit in Buffalo. “Finding someone who can step right in [and] start, and then push [Dane] Jackson or [Christian] Benford into a depth role would be a good spot for the Bills to be in,” Maiorana wrote. “The Bears could be an interesting partner if a swap of corners happens, Elam for Jaylon Johnson.”

While gunning for a cornerback like Denver Broncos standout Patrick Surtain would require some serious financial gymnastics and high draft capital, Maiorana suggests the Bills could land the 24-year-old cornerback by offering up Elam and a third-round pick.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dillenger4 said:

Democrat & Chronicle‘s Sal Maiorana believes Johnson would be a great fit in Buffalo. “Finding someone who can step right in [and] start, and then push [Dane] Jackson or [Christian] Benford into a depth role would be a good spot for the Bills to be in,” Maiorana wrote. “The Bears could be an interesting partner if a swap of corners happens, Elam for Jaylon Johnson.”

While gunning for a cornerback like Denver Broncos standout Patrick Surtain would require some serious financial gymnastics and high draft capital, Maiorana suggests the Bills could land the 24-year-old cornerback by offering up Elam and a third-round pick.

The issue is not compensation to the bears.  I imagine two teams could get that done quickly.

its the contract for Johnson that is the problem and the team that trades for him is going to be in a really tough spot because his agents are going to say well why did you trade for him if you did not think he is this good...etc..

2 minutes ago, Process said:

So if we don't resign him two thirds and Elam for a half season rental? Way too much imo. 

You arent going to get him from the Bears for what he's worth on just the rental contract, so signing him to an extension is assumed, and his trade price will reflect that no matter what.

So it sweetens the deal for the Bears.

Maybe make it two 3rds, 2024 conditional to a 2nd if/when he signs an extension, and the 2025 pick goes away on the extension as well.

Either way, gotta juice it up so the Bears feel like they are getting a lot no matter what.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Agreed, bug you can’t count on Tre playing for the Bills again.  Bills are in need of a #1 CB long term.  Benford is a cost controlled good #2 CB for next 3 years.  

I don’t know all the nuances of dead cap. But if JACKSON is a true number one, I am wondering if including tre white in the trade, gives the Bears some potential upside (same upside, the bills have  by retaining him) plus a first and maybe a Second from a different year might get it done. And it also clear the contract space needed to sign JACKSON to a long-term contract

Just now, Chaos said:

I don’t know all the nuances of dead cap. But if JACKSON is a true number one, I am wondering if including tre white in the trade, gives the Bears some potential upside (same upside, the bills have  by retaining him) plus a first and maybe a Second from a different year might get it done. And it also clear the contract space needed to sign JACKSON to a long-term contract

You can't trade injured players.

2 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Worry about the extension later, 2 day two picks isn't a bad rental price when you'll like re coup a third if you don't re sign him 

No.  The extension has to be agreed up within certain numbers or you can not make this trade.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

You're thinking like a fan who wants to see big plays and the best players on the field, not like McDermott who routinely values system knowledge, responsibility and overall preparedness before everything else. 

I would certainly hope if we made a big time trade for a big time player that yes he would play sooner than later. All I can say is I hope we get the chance to find out!

Um ... I'm pretty sure McDermott likes INTs too. He had two great defenses in Carolina: 2013 and 2015. In 2013, they finished fifth in the league in INTs, and 2015 (their 15-1 season), they finished first. 

The Buffalo D's INT rankings since McDermott arrived:

2017: 6th

2018: 7th

2019: 8th

2020: 7th

2021: 4th

2022: 3rd

Currently, they're seventh, but they were first after four games.

Long story short: McDermott defenses rely a lot on interceptions.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

It's strange that some of you think Elam helps this trade. 

I see it more like the part in Half Baked when the dude offers to pay even less for a Kenny Loggins album when the woman says he signed it himself. 

The bears last year traded Roquan Smith to Baltimore for:

2023 2nd and 5th rounders plus AJ Klein.

Smith already had a deal in place also so I imagine he is more expensive than Johnson will be.

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You arent going to get him from the Bears for what he's worth on just the rental contract, so signing him to an extension is assumed, and his trade price will reflect that no matter what.

So it sweetens the deal for the Bears.

Maybe make it two 3rds, 2024 conditional to a 2nd if/when he signs an extension, and the 2025 pick goes away on the extension as well.

Either way, gotta juice it up so the Bears feel like they are getting a lot no matter what.

Yea I get it from the bears perspective. I'm just not interested and happy to pass at that price.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

It's strange that some of you think Elam helps this trade. 

I see it more like the part in Half Baked when the dude offers to pay even less for a Kenny Loggins album when the woman says he signed it himself. 

What if they include Elam’s notebook 

• Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, MikePJ76 said:

The bears last year traded Roquan Smith to Baltimore for:

2023 2nd and 5th rounders plus AJ Klein.

Smith already had a deal in place also so I imagine he is more expensive than Johnson will be.

Imagine if our offer includes AJ Klein again 🤣

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.