Von Miller

Riverboat Ritchie

17 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I hope he can ramp up into shape soon. At this point he is just a wasted roster spot. He impacts absolutely nothing in his current form. As another poster mentioned, his sole move seems to be rush extremely wide and get taken completely out of the play. 

Could be designed to lull the opponent into playing the same strategy against the younger healthy guys and they will fake wide then cut in freely to the QB.  So there could be some purpose there.

16 minutes ago, BillsFooteball said:

Nantz and romo sure didn’t do him any favors by letting us know when he was on field. Made it easy to focus in on that he was the only one not getting to the QB. It’s really tough to see. Just so slow and no impact at all. Holding out hope that he will get there…

Actually maybe being talked up and his lack of impact may also just be putting tape out on Von and his lack of impact.  It is not like the defense didn't get the job done with the effort Von did give.  So let opponents feel they don't have to account for Von and when the time and the opponent is right he'll make his impact felt.

18 minutes ago, H2o said:

Von is a shell of the Von we saw last year. He constantly tries to beat the OT with a speed rush, but finds himself 5-7 yards past the QB every time. Spencer Brown could block him one on one right now. 

Spencer has been solid this.year, Von would be an afterthought going against Brown

10 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Actually maybe being talked up and his lack of impact may also just be putting tape out on Von and his lack of impact.  It is not like the defense didn't get the job done with the effort Von did give.  So let opponents feel they don't have to account for Von and when the time and the opponent is right he'll make his impact felt.

That’s one hell of an optimistic approach! I love it! 

41 minutes ago, H2o said:

Von is a shell of the Von we saw last year. He constantly tries to beat the OT with a speed rush, but finds himself 5-7 yards past the QB every time. Spencer Brown could block him one on one right now. 

He is not 100%.  It takes over 18 months to fully recover. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

Bust of a FA pick up. I don’t remember when a FA of his caliber lived up to his signing. I thought Beane was smarter than this. Would be great to offload this contract somehow. 

He was worth it until the injury, and now the contract sucks, unfortunately.

I actually think he'll be good next year but it's a real shame we "lost" him for half of last season and I'm assuming all of this season 

Never understood this signing in the first place. It's not like they were losing to Chiefs in the playoffs because they couldn't get to Mahomes. The guy was getting rid of the ball so quickly that it didn't matter if you had prime Bruce Smith out there. Should have used that money to help the offense. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

He is not 100%.  It takes over 18 months to fully recover. 

And why risk a setback in a game that was well in hand.  I never felt the game was in jeopardy at any point if they continued to play as they were.  When will we see a impact from Von we won't know until we see it but I have no doubt he's keeping the young guys motivated.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's a big reason Oliver is playing at and maybe even exceeding his new contract.  Players will listen to a 2 time SB winner and he was the MvP of SB 50. 

11 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

Never understood this signing in the first place. It's not like they were losing to Chiefs in the playoffs because they couldn't get to Mahomes. The guy was getting rid of the ball so quickly that it didn't matter if you had prime Bruce Smith out there. Should have used that money to help the offense. 

I'd have been fine if they got Allen more top talent on offense with speed to really stress any defense.  Even top end oline protection.  They got what they felt they needed with their Miller signing.  I presume they just felt more confident in evaluation of defensive players over the offensive FA's.  

Edited by AuntieEm

9 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

I'd have been fine if they got Allen more top talent on offense with speed to really stress any defense.  Even top end olone protection.  They got what they felt they needed with their Miller signing.  I presume they just felt more confident in evaluation of defensive players over the offensive FA's.  

It was a horrible decision. Thinking you can beat Mahomes by having a good defense is ridiculous. He’s going to put up points. Look what he did to last years number one defense in the Super Bowl. Look what he did in the playoffs to us when we were the number one defense. Look how many points he put up vs the 49ers in the Super Bowl when they were the number one defense. It doesn’t matter. The teams that beat Mahomes in the playoffs have all had these things in common: 

•Excellent, cerebral decision making QB who isn’t going to take more than what is there, and certainly isn’t going to gift Mahomes extra possessions or great field position by committing boneheaded turnovers (Brady and Burrow)

•Strong physical running back who can wear down a defense and help his team control the time of posession (Fournette and Mixon)

•Elite level WR 1 and WR 2, with a top tier WR 3 and a good TE. (Evans, Godwin, Brown, old Gronk, and then Chase, Higgins, Boyd, and Hurst)

That’s a lot to have. But the reality is it takes a lot to beat him. Teams who have tried to beat him in the playoff by being defensive teams have been shredded. We should be going all out to stack our offense. 

Edited by Billiam93
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

And why risk a setback in a game that was well in hand.  I never felt the game was in jeopardy at any point if they continued to play as they were.  When will we see an impact from Von we won't know until we see it but I have no doubt he's keeping the young guys motivated.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's a big reason Oliver is playing at and maybe even exceeding his new contract.  Players will listen to a 2 time SB winner and he was the MvP of SB 50. 

You’ve got 3 Von apology posts in this thread alone. Von is competing with Kingsley Jonathan for least effective DE on his team and he’s been a liability when he’s on the field. He blew the edge on Cinci’s 3rd down and Mixon waltzed by him. He has ZERO impact on how well Oliver is playing because Von hasn’t been doubled once since he’s come back. He’s still a very limited player. The reality is the best we can hope for is that we sneak into the playoffs and he rounds into some sort of impact player. He isn’t that now.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.