TB / Buffalo Postgame thread

Simon

14 minutes ago, KCNC said:

Has anyone said or speculated about why their punter did not get a penalty for swinging his helmet at our guys?  I mean for pete's sake, Myles Garrett was given the rest of the year off for that shiz.

The helmet only came off because Bernard was pushing him by the facemask. The punter took his helmet off and it hit Rousseau because Bernard had been engaged.

He did not go Myles Garrett and swing it around willy nilly as a weapon.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Bangarang said:

The offense had glimpses of what it used to be a few years ago but also showed how bad it’s been the last several weeks. 

DL was harassing Mayfield all night. What’s the deal with Taron? Guy is getting picked on. Nice to see Oliver back in the lineup. 

Harty’s best game returning punts. 

McD with some horrible TOs again. You can pretty much guarantee every defensive TO leads to a let down. And wtf was the point of calling a TO when the Bucs are scrambling to get their FG unit together? 

Why not line Harty up in the backfield and get him out in space against a LB? 

9 hours ago, jkeerie said:

McD didn't grab Baker's facemask to prolong the TD drive!  That was a stupid play by Phillips.  Bills would have gotten the ball and been able to move it down field.  Stop blaming the coaches for dumbarse players!

penalties do happen. we should not have been in that position

2 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

McD doesn't think his time management is an issue. Actions speak louder than words. He's told us time and again that defensive timeouts are his thing. He's also told us that he does in fact play down to his competition otherwise we don't punt 2x in plus territory last night. If that was KC we'd go for it but instead it's TB. Bills let them almost win that game. Happy with a win but man McD loves his nail biters. 

I am happy to be 5-3 and to win after the low point of last Sunday.   Both units vastly improved, but McDermott did an awful job in the 4th and the team gave Tampa way too many opportunities to hang in there.

That effort yesterday does not get us a win next week against Cincinnati or later in the year against the Chiefs or Eagles.   There is still work to be done.    We just have to take it one game at a time and hope for continued improvement in ten days.

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BRH said:

Good lord this postgame thread sucks. 

A win is a win.  

And (because we do it too, with the Chiefs and Pats before them)… think of all the hatewatchers who stayed up late only to see us win after all…

some of you clowns included. 

I agree. A win is never a bad thing. 

Are there things left to clean up and correct? Absolutely. Did we see some signs that they are already in the process of making changes? Without a doubt. Getting Kincaid, Shakir and Davis rolling was HUGE for the offense. We've identified some playmakers not named Diggs. That's going to help big time.

Problem here with MANY in the fan base is they have become almost self entitled. If the Bills don't completely dominate it's a "bad win". 

The important things I take away from last night:

- 5-3 after 8 games. I had us at 6-2 before the season here. That's 1 game off and still can make it up.

- Mini bye right now is HUGE. The injury list has been long. More than that we have hit the part of the season where guys who AREN'T on the injury list are playing through some things. The next 10 days gives them all time to rest, rehab and prep for Cincinnati.

- Seems like aside from Josh's shoulder we came out of last night without any major injuries. 

I don't hate where we are at right now. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

It runs as many seconds off the clock before the kick.  Once in a while a team does jump.

Someday they will snap the ball while the D is asleep, but you don't do that against the NFC Tampa team.

Dig it.

The outrage over trying to draw a team offside is so funny to me.  It literally has no negative effect if it doesn't work if you were just planning to punt anyway.  Even if someone thinks it is dumb because "it will never work" the fact is that sometimes it does.  It is not a fireable offense for a HC.  It's crazy how pissed off people get at the stupidest things

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

I am happy to be 5-3 and to win after the low point of last Sunday.   Both units vastly improved, but McDermott did an awful job in the 4th and the team gave Tampa way too many opportunities to hang in there.

That effort yesterday does not get us a win next week against Cincinnati or later in the year against the Chiefs or Jets.   There is still work to be done.    We just have to take it one game at a time and hope for continued improvement in ten days.

The Bills are 4-0 playing at home. I am not counting London as a home game. IMHO, they need to run the table at home with wins over the Broncos, Jets, Cowboys and Pats to finish 8-0. That gives them 9 wins. Will need to steal one on the road and that should be enough for a playoff spot. Our road schedule is brutal, so they really do need to take care of business at home.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 play 90 + yard drive yard drive capped with a 2 pt conversion and almost a near Hail Mary.  This staff blows no way we should have been in that position after dominating.

This is a W that feels like a L & with the upcoming looming schedule we’re pretty damn close to facing a 500 +|- finish. No way we a double digit win total. I just don’t see playoffs in our future.

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

He completely lost the football…timing seemed off on that whole play because baker absolutely moonshotted it lol this being pitched as close to a completion is wild to me.  He was never at any point ready to catch that pass 

A problem with a Hail Mary from that deep is you need to hold the ball forever for the receivers to get to the end zone and get ready for the jump ball.

Baker probably needed to hold it 1.5 seconds longer, but the pass rush didn’t let him.

6 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

17 play 90 + yard drive yard drive capped with a 2 pt conversion and almost a near Hail Mary.  This staff blows no way we should have been in that position after dominating.

This is a W that feels like a L & with the upcoming looming schedule we’re pretty damn close to facing a 500 +|- finish. 

Its happened for years  and the one constant is McD. This guy is limited. He's a dyed in the wool DC. Has no business being a HC. Except for a few head scratching playcalls Dorsey, a near rookie OC, called a good game. He may never have been the main problem. The team's identity, who they are, how they play, is pulled in different directions. That's why they appear so disfunctional at times. The tension is between the team McD wants and what Josh (and possibly also Dorsey) thinks it is and wants it to be. That is a conflict that can only be resolved with the firing of the HC. I Hope Pegs is paying attention.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I am really curious about our DL rotation.  Von is working his way back, but Epenesa and Rousseau need to get more snaps at the expense of the likes of Floyd and Lawson.  I know we lost Daquan, but Phillips is hot garbage to begin with before even the dumb decisions.  I think it's affecting Oliver's play as well.  Before the trade deadline can Beane & Co. see if there is a 1T available for a reasonable price that can clog the middle.

Tired of mediocre RB's gashing us for first downs.  Mixon is not a mediocre running back.

Here’s my thoughts after sleeping on it. Not worth yet another review thread so it’s going here:

1. Josh Allen seemed a bit looser than previous weeks. He was able to run when it was called for, effective at getting the ball out, and looked way more comfortable and in control tonight. This was very good to see

2. I think the O-Line may have done some of its best work all season. Right side was being challenged again (as per usual it seems) but they gave Josh a few standout plays where he could let a play develop before pressure got too much. Not perfect, but a good showing against a decent defensive front. 

3. Running was mostly good too, and the bad was more the fault of the playcall than execution. No more shotgun runs on 3rd/4th and short, please. Cook ran well, and while King Henry wouldn’t hurt, I don’t see exactly how he would help much either. Better plays are needed, not better players.

4. Kincaid is gonna be really special. Last week he put the league on notice, this week he was trusted and executed. I e said a few times the Knox injury was going to be his opportunity to become TE1 and he is showing that already. Knox still has a place on this team for sure, but Kincaid needs to be out there catching passes.

5. Shakir had a nice game. He seems to be getting more used to catching passes from Josh and is earning more trust and reps. He’s not taking over for Gabe yet, but with running 11 personnel he’s going to see more opportunities.

6. Offensive playcalling seemed mostly good. Uptempo works and you could easily see Josh making adjustments as needed when he had time to see what was in front of him. As I mentioned earlier we need to throw shotgun runs on short downs into the trash because I literally think it worked one time in the last 7 games maybe?

7. Coaching through the first 3 quarters I thought was solid. I didn’t have too many issues leading up to that without being nit-picky, but the last quarter sucked and shows obvious room for improvement. Also, I think 1 of the 2 punts we did at midfield should have been gone for. Our D had smacked them around leading up to the 4th quarter and should have been trusted to keep stopping them. On that same note, the offense was clicking and should have been trusted to get 2 yards. We went from trying to get points to trying to avoid mistakes, which I get sometimes but to that point we should have been willing to drive a dagger into their heart. 

8. Timeouts on 4th down sure do seem to not ever go in our favor… maybe we should stop trying that.

9. Sam Martin was a beast. I know how nervous we all were with Araiza getting booted and not knowing who we could get on short notice, but thankfully the Broncos were as inept then as they are now. One of our best FA pickups that’s doesn’t get recognized often enough. He definitely kept us in it by pinning them back deep 3 times, and should have been 4 if we get to the ball on the last kick. Perfect execution on his side.

10. Refs were all over the place last night and made some boneheaded calls. There are a few examples I could point out but the absolute worst was the 4th down face mask call on Phillips. Yes, he did have a face mask but the whistle should have been blown before that even happened as Mayfield was getting pushed further and further back and was left out there to be brought down. Forward progress was not a factor and he was gonna go down hard, so the play should have been stopped. Phillips did a good job up to that point and we likely would have been singing his praises had the refs done their job.

overall I say the game was a 7.5/10. Mostly good game with some areas of improvement. A dub is a dub and at 5-3 we are doing pretty good. A couple tough games coming up with Cincy and Jets but we hopefully get a game or two we can dominate (looking at you Broncos). 

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Who hacked your account?

I just call it like I see it. That includes the good and the bad. I saw a lot of good last night. 

The offense really looked good despite only scoring 25 points. 

I'm a little concerned about the defense. The Bills injuries are really hurting their overall effectiveness. Can you imagine how good this D would be with Tre, Jones, and Milano? Wow...

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.