Shakir needs to be given some of Gabe’s snaps…prove me wrong

Alphadawg7

Davis is the same he always has been.  Occasional impact game, then many games of poor showings.  He has a limited route tree, unreliable hands, and can’t get separation anywhere that doesn’t require him running mostly in straight lines.  

Shakir has been making plays every time he is called upon this year, and with the dominant number of snaps being given to Davis at WR while also running 12 personnel so often, it had severely limited the targets and snaps for guys like Shakir.

Davis is getting too many reps to be producing this little.  Time to get other guys involved who are better route runners and more reliable hands, and that starts with Shakir at WR and Kincaid at TE.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 17
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Dr.Sack said:

Let Gabe rotate with the others. 

Exactly…This is my point, he isn’t doing enough to dominate the snap count like he has, especially since Dorsey is obsessed with the 12 personnel which further limits the other receivers usage

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Exactly…This is my point, he isn’t doing enough to dominate the snap count like he has, especially since Dorsey is obsessed with the 12 personnel which further limits the other receivers usage

Scrap 12 for 11. And play Kincaid 90% of those snaps in 11 or more. Knox is a blocker and RZ only target. He’s just not good between the 20s. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Davis is the same he always has been.  Occasional impact game, then many games of poor showings.  He has a limited route tree, unreliable hands, and can’t get separation anywhere that doesn’t require him running mostly in straight lines.  

Shakir has been making plays every time he is called upon this year, and with the dominant number of snaps being given to Davis at WR while also running 12 personnel so often, it had severely limited the targets and snaps for guys like Shakir.

Davis is getting too many reps to be producing this little.  Time to get other guys involved who are better route runners and more reliable hands, and that starts with Shakir at WR and Kincaid at TE.

i see your Shakir and raise you Andy Beasley, i mean Isabella in the slot.

I’d love for Shakir to get some serious targets but he’s not even getting love in the slot right now. Hard to see a scenario where they give him more run over Gabe when they don’t give him targets in the slot. The personnel usage is a downright disaster so far. 

I just wish Gabe Davis was good again. 

How about that? Isn’t that what coaches are supposed to do? Especially at this level, right? And it’s not just McDermott. Dorsey runs the offense. He can call Davis in, and set him up for more success. And, if he has a limited route tree, then scheme to get him open. He’s a dynamic deep threat, scheme that more than once a game. It’s on Davis to make plays, and stop the drops. I don’t understand how he has regressed so much over the past season. It’s not his ankle anymore. 

Edited by RobbRiddicksTDLeap

29 minutes ago, Special K said:

I’m with you regarding Kincaid....along with Diggs and Cook, they were the only 3 players who showed up on Offense.

There is no reason Kincaid shouldn’t be getting the second most targets behind Diggs.

Agreed regarding Kincaid.

Rookie Tight End of the Detroit Lions, Sam LaPorta, is getting tons of targets becoming the 2nd WR.

Josh Allen, Dorsey, and McDermott need to establish this for Kincaid ASAP.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

At this point I'm moving on from Davis. Not just from a contract basis but targets too.  We can no longer waste going his way.  It's not like he's getting retained.  Give Shakir & Kincaid all Gabe's targets.  Time for Josh to start developing a better throwing relationship with these 2.  Besides I still think they go after Adams.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

At this point I'm moving on from Davis. Not just from a contract basis but targets too.  We can no longer waste going his way.  It's not like he's getting retained.  Give Shakir & Kincaid all Gabe's targets.  Time for Josh to start developing a better throwing relationship with these 2.  Besides I still think they go after Adams.

That would be fantastic

29 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

I don’t understand how he has regressed so much over the past season.

He hasn't regressed. He's actually having a more efficient season than usual this year. He is just inherently a limited player.

And you can't scheme up a bunch of slow developing vertical routes every game, which is all that Davis is really good for. They have intentionally lowered his targets, they just haven't really had anyone worthwhile to redistribute them to.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

I just wish Gabe Davis was good again. 

How about that? Isn’t that what coaches are supposed to do? Especially at this level, right? And it’s not just McDermott. Dorsey runs the offense. He can call Davis in, and set him up for more success. And, if he has a limited route tree, then scheme to get him open. He’s a dynamic deep threat, scheme that more than once a game. It’s on Davis to make plays, and stop the drops. I don’t understand how he has regressed so much over the past season. It’s not his ankle anymore. 

Has he regressed? Or has he just not improved?

Was Davis ever "good" outside of 2 or 3 games?

Think it's been a myth outside of a couple games and that he is a large target that Allen can find when in scramble mode which has led to memorable plays

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He hasn't regressed. He's actually having a more efficient season than usual this year. He is just inherently a limited player.

And you can't scheme up a bunch of slow developing vertical routes every game, which is all that Davis is really good for. They have intentionally lowered his targets, they just haven't really had anyone worthwhile to redistribute them to.

I would love to see a bigger split between Davis, Shakir and harty in snaps as an outside receiver opposite diggs

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I’m 100% on board with this. Shakir has earned a bigger role in what has turned into a busted offense. He and Kincaid should be the 2 and 3 options (alongside Cook). Park Knox on the bench or in the OL to block.

27 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Shakir lacks RAC, but he does catch virtually every ball when targeted. Kincaid too. The two laggards, Davis & Knox need less targets and snaps.

everyone on this team lacks YAC. Not that some of them can’t produce it, that’s a OC issue.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Can we have discussions without this nonsensical “prove me wrong” crap?

• Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Scrap 12 for 11. And play Kincaid 90% of those snaps in 11 or more. Knox is a blocker and RZ only target. He’s just not good between the 20s. 

Agree. Knox cost nearly cost us the game last week. And this week his drop on 4th and 2 altered the game IMO potentially out of our favor

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

When they threw to Shakir late in the game and he made a clutch catch I yelled out the same thing.  Seems like most of the good teams have a Shakir type player.  Runs good routes, quick, good hands.  Gabe is most effective (or used to be) when he runs straight down the field.  Otherwise he seems kinda slow and easy to cover on short and intermediate routes.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

This is probably the best single observation I have seen posted on the board regarding yesterday's game and the offense. 

The use of Shakir is a puzzle to me. I thought he was brought in to fill the Beasley role but to date he seems to simply pop up out of nowhere from time to time and rarely where I expect. I’d love to see him used for those quick slants that Josh knew he could always throw to Cole when he needed an easy first down. 

Multiple obvious offensive changes needed.

1) Davis in Rotation until a reliable #2 can be found to both separate and catch the ***** ball!

2) Stone Hands Knox replaced by Morse, because he clearly cannot catch the ***** football! 
3) Allen starts running again. This means Ds must spy and/defend which should open up WRs & TEs.

4) NO handoffs from Shotgun ever again. 
5) Allen sneaks his big ass body with 1/ 1-2 yards to go… EVERY ***** TIME… and practice that Philly masse play! 
6) Swing plays and some misdirection are incorporated by the OC.
7) The OC is on a short leash not to F up.

With a lucrative contract on the line, I would think we are seeing the best version of Gabe Davis. That being said if this is Gabe's best, he might be released instead of being offered a lucrative contract.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.