What is going on with the offensive juggernauts?

Royale with Cheese

The Bills, Chiefs and Bengals are all off this year.  All 3 have had great games but not anywhere near consistent as in the past.  All 3 has had lackluster performances against really poor teams.

About a 3rd of the season is complete and these offenses are nowhere near the level of production they should be at.  

Do you think defenses are figuring these offenses out?  Or are these mainly issues with these offenses?

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

The Bills, Chiefs and Bengals are all off this year.  All 3 have had great games but not anywhere near consistent as in the past.  All 3 has had lackluster performances against really poor teams.

About a 3rd of the season is complete and these offenses are nowhere near the level of production they should be at.  

Do you think defenses are figuring these offenses out?  Or are these mainly issues with these offenses?

KC lost week 1 because of drops (and a pretty big pick 6).  Bills lost in london, and drops had a lot to do with it.  Bengals throw a ton of short stuff and either burrows just a bit off or they aren't getting as much space.  Higgins has also been awful in his contract year.  

Every case is different, imo.

I think KC is no longer a juggernaut.  Their WR corps is weak.  

I think Cincy's issues can largely be traced to Burrow's injury.

With Buffalo, it's been a rough couple of weeks.  But the 3 weeks prior were all pretty stellar. So, we're inconsistent.  I think last night might have been different if a few plays didn't happen (the tipped ball for INT, the Davis fumble). Seemed like we got on the Giants' side of the field plenty, but just fizzled out w/ turnovers or missed FG's.

• Agree 4

Don't leave the Eagles out of this.

Since they lost their O coordinator, they look pretty pedestrian, minus the brotherly shove.

Just now, Bangarang said:

Chiefs have Kelce and nobody else. I think our guys outside of Diggs are better than the Chiefs outside of Kelce.

that's pretty bad for them

• Like (+1) 1

Bengals excuse was injury.. but Burrow looked healthy yesterday and the offense was pretty bad.  

Bills/Chiefs..  I think it's two-fold:

-Teams are playing them both in a way that attempts to force Mahomes and Allen to be check down merchants and neither of them wants to do that.  

-Both teams have big cap numbers to consider at QB.  It's why the Bills are depending on two guys on rookie contracts and some JAG's in the passing game around Diggs, while the Chiefs are doing the same around Kelce.  

Nobody is scared of MVS, Rice and Moore.   Nobody is scared of Davis, Harty and release valve Kincaid.   They are completely fine with both guys throwing short to guys that haven't shown they can do a ton to make defenses regret it. 

• Agree 2

Cincinnati always starts slow. Burrow always misses time in camp and needs actual games to get going. The only difference is that they didn't win the games in which he played bad. They seemed back in the first half yesterday and then proceeded to put up only 3 points in the second half. But that fits the pattern of second-half lulls that they fell into all last season. Here is a typical Bengals regular season game from last season. Win 22-18, scoring all of the points in the first half.  https://www.nfl.com/games/bengals-at-patriots-2022-reg-16?active-tab=watch . That's why I had hope in the playoff game at halftime, but they broke that pattern and kept scoring.

I think KC is bored with the regular season, and with the playoffs a given they are sleepwalking through the first half of the season.

I have no idea what is going on in Buffalo. 

I think some of it can be chalked up to the fact that it was one of those weekends: Cincy, Buffalo, KC, Philly, and SF (five of the league's six best teams; the other is Miami) all failed to score 20 points. Cincy should have lost, SF and Philly did lose (due in part to stupidly aggressive play-calling on their final possession), and KC failed to get 20 points at home against a historically bad Denver defense. Just a weird early-part-of the-midseason weekend. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Chiefs have Kelce and nobody else. I think our guys outside of Diggs are better than the Chiefs outside of Kelce.

Eh, I think that's more of a wash than anything. But KC has an all-time offensive mind scheming up their plays to help out their middling talent. Us not so much. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Just the NFL in 2023. Defenses have fought back a bit. Other than Miami no offense really looks like it is firing to me.

There are a lot of teams that drafted high for several recent years in a row that managed to hit on some choice defensive talent. Jets obviously, but also Jags, Washington, even Cleveland. Not surprising the pendulum has swung back that way, at least until the big contracts come due for those teams. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Success said:

Every case is different, imo.

I think KC is no longer a juggernaut.  Their WR corps is weak.  

I think Cincy's issues can largely be traced to Burrow's injury.

With Buffalo, it's been a rough couple of weeks.  But the 3 weeks prior were all pretty stellar. So, we're inconsistent.  I think last night might have been different if a few plays didn't happen (the tipped ball for INT, the Davis fumble). Seemed like we got on the Giants' side of the field plenty, but just fizzled out w/ turnovers or missed FG's.

The Bengals looked good against the Cards but yesterday, they looked bad again.  Geno Smith took two consecutive sacks on 4th down in the last two drives.  The Bengals got lucky like we did yesterday.

• Agree 3

We were saying similar things last year.  CIN and KC were in disarray early while Buffalo was looking unbeatable.  In 2021 our offense was a mess until the second half of the Bucs game.  Like KC and PHI its important for us to continue to win ugly while we figure it out on offense.  Hopefully it starts clicking soon.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

We were saying similar things last year.  CIN and KC were in disarray early while Buffalo was looking unbeatable.  In 2021 our offense was a mess until the second half of the Bucs game.  Like KC and PHI its important for us to continue to win ugly while we figure it out on offense.  Hopefully it starts clicking soon.  

There are definitely ebbs and flows over the course of an NFL season. All teams go through ups and downs for any number of reasons. It's still quite early even though it's the beginning phase of midseason. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.