Kaiir Elam is a liability any time he is on the field

Einstein

NBC showed a stat line for Elam near the end of the 3rd quarter or early 4th,  cant exactly remember.   it wasnt good though.   targeted 8 times,  gave up 6 catches for nearly 100 yards.    im not an Elam hater,  but this was against Tyrod Taylor of all people with a Giants offensive line that was mostly terrible.  mbe the all22 shows more,  that he didnt play badly,  but that stat line looks terrible.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, bigduke6 said:

NBC showed a stat line for Elam near the end of the 3rd quarter or early 4th,  cant exactly remember.   it wasnt good though.   targeted 8 times,  gave up 6 catches for nearly 100 yards.    im not an Elam hater,  but this was against Tyrod Taylor of all people with a Giants offensive line that was mostly terrible.  mbe the all22 shows more,  that he didnt play badly,  but that stat line looks terrible.

I think that was including last week against the Jags?   

3 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

That’s what he was credited with last week against the Jags.

• Agree 1

He was ok tonight. 

7 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

That was vs Jags

5 minutes ago, Riverboat Ritchie said:

We will see.  He did make a huge tackle in bounds on that last drive…that if he misses, we lose. 

Recognizing and overcoming his habit of being too handsy on that late ball was a step forward for him too.

He's also going to catch way more hell than he deserves on the DPI he took, but it wasn't necessarily the wrong play and I bet he wasn't the only DB with a handful of jersey out there in that situation.

1 minute ago, Dr.Sack said:

Elam and Benford had their ups and downs but got it done. I think Elam’s tackling is better than ppl give him credit. 

Not bad for how deep the Bills are digging into their depth. Figured from my perspective that NOT really noticing either guy much meant they were playing all right.

Who was in coverage on that really well thrown deep boundary completion on the Bills sideline? 

I think Elam is kind of a read for opposing teams at the moment.

Taylor seemed to look see who Elam was covering and then identify potential blitzers, if the blitzers came he'd go to the guy Elam was covering knowing he is for sure man to man coverage where usually the bills mix coverage between corners who does man and who has help when tre had been healthy in that same situation 

9 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Not bad for how deep the Bills are digging into their depth. Figured from my perspective that NOT really noticing either guy much meant they were playing all right.

Who was in coverage on that really well thrown deep boundary completion on the Bills sideline? 

Elam 1st Qtr 8:38 vs Slayton for 27 yards

Benford 2nd Qtr  1:26 vs Slayton for 31 yards

Thought he was better today. 

Bad penalty in the end zone.  

Got beat on a deep fade, but it also had to be a perfect throw.  It was.  Tyrod isn’t great, but we all know he’s mobile and throws a good deep ball.  

Was stride for stride on the other deep ball late and made a strong close & tackle on one of the final two drives. 

They clearly couldn’t target him like Jax did with Ridley, otherwise they would have. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Cursed said:

Crazy that he seems to have the physical tools to always have great coverage while the receiver makes the catch.  Maybe he'll develop the instincts to turn that into making a play on the ball.

You could say the same thing about Leodis McKelvin.....he never figured out how to make a play on the ball....not expecting Elam to figure it out either, but we shall see.

13 hours ago, Einstein said:

In my opinion it’s a bad look for McBeane either way.

It’s either:

1) The Bills misjudged McDuffies skills (he is playing like one of the best CB’s in the NFL right now) because of his size.

OR

2) The Bills liked him but allowed KC to outmaneuver them.

There is no way to make the situation look good.

Personally, I *hope* it’s number 2. Mainly because I am not a fan of teams who judge players by their physical traits rather than their football ability.

Ehh..........I'm just not a believer in using first round picks on players without the measurables.

The same logic for selecting McDuffie is also how, as an organization, you justify drafting Mac Jones in round 1.

If I am using a first round pick on a CB for McD's CB-friendly system I want them to also be able to match up with anyone physically man-to-man as well..........ceiling should be the roof for that guy.

The issue was going CB there at all, IMO.    It was an overreaction for need to the White injury.    Drafting for immediate need rarely works out.

Almost all HC'ing hires bring with them the promise that they can really coach up at least one position group...........for McD it's the defensive backs.........so using first round picks on those positions is counterintuitive, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ehh..........I'm just not a believer in using first round picks on players without the measurables.

I totally get what you’re saying and for many positions I would agree with you. QB is one of those positions i’d agree with you. 

But look at Bernard and Milano - they are both considered undersized LBers but they are football players through and through.

I just don’t think we should be drafting or not drafting players on 1” of arm length. That’s the difference between McDuffie and Elam. 1 inch of arm length. 

I also agree with you that CB was an overreaction. Imagine George Pickens opposite Diggs.

8 hours ago, SCBills said:

Bad penalty in the end zone.  

That was not necessarily a bad penalty.

Corners are supposed to be extra handsy in those EZ situations with the clock winding down (see: Taron Johnson).

I guarantee you he was not the only DB with a handful of jersey on that play.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I totally get what you’re saying and for many positions I would agree with you. QB is one of those positions i’d agree with you. 

But look at Bernard and Milano - they are both considered undersized LBers but they are football players through and through.

I just don’t think we should be drafting or not drafting players on 1” of arm length. That’s the difference between McDuffie and Elam. 1 inch of arm length. 

I also agree with you that CB was an overreaction. Imagine George Pickens opposite Diggs.

Right and Bernard and Milano were drafted long after round 1.

You aren't going to find a HOF'er like Brian Urlacher in round 5............but Matt Milano, a guy who strings together a very good career with a couple peak All Pro seasons?   Terrel Bernard who might give you some very good seasons if his undersized frame allows?  That can be done.

It's incumbent upon a team that's lead by a HC whose specialty is the secondary to find guys at those positions who can outperform their draft status in his system so that premium picks can be used elsewhere. 

So two CB's in round 1 in the first 6 seasons was a head scratcher to me.

But picking the more physically gifted one......not so much.    Adding a guy in McDuffie, whose ceiling was a poor-man's Tre White's ceiling,  wasn't really going to substantively address the problem of covering guys like Hill and Waddle, IMO.    

• Like (+1) 2

I think folks just need the have some patience. He’s here. He is going to play. Might as well cheer for him instead of looking for every mistake he might make on the field. Best case scenario is he improves and gets more comfortable week to week. 
We just ran this gauntlet with Epenesa. He wasn’t an NFL player. He’s a bust. Liability on the field. Playing limited snaps despite a high draft slot. And he’s continued to improve, and never really shined until injuries forced him into a larger role. I still have confidence the light will go on for Elam and he’ll be a valuable part of this defense if he stays healthy this year. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.