Week 4 AFC Power Rankings

Giuseppe Tognarelli

9 hours ago, cle23 said:

So the Chiefs are penalized for playing the Jets, while the Bills lost to the Jets and aren't?  Not trying to pick a fight, but the logic there is ludicrous. 

3 weeks into the season, the Power Rankings are mostly pointless as the sample size isn't big enough.  Some schedules are front loaded and others are back loaded, so it's hard to rank teams.

The logic is sound. 

It’s about the bills playing a top five team this weekend. To this point neither to the chiefs or bills have played a top five team.

The bills can jump the Chiefs and the dolphins this weekend.

I don't get the overwhelming majority putting the Chiefs ahead of the Bills.

Week 1: We both lost. I would say Kelce/Jones had a hand in their loss but they were also at home in a banner drop game. We were on the road against a top defense.

Week 2: Both won. Buffalo dominated a bottom 10 team. Chiefs won against a Jag team...I can't get a handle on. And they struggled.

Week:: Both won. Buffalo won their game on the road against a middle of the pack to mediocre team. Chiefs motorboat the worst team in football, in a week their DC re-signs, on their own home turf. 

First impression of this version of the Chiefs is they are vulnerable. Buffalo and/or Miami could easily pass them by.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The logic is sound. 

It’s about the bills playing a top five team this weekend. To this point neither to the chiefs or bills have played a top five team.

The bills can jump the Chiefs and the dolphins this weekend.

Yes, the Bills beating the Dolphins this weekend would be the strongest win, so yes, at that point it would make sense.  But beating the Jets doesn't hurt the Chiefs. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I don't get the overwhelming majority putting the Chiefs ahead of the Bills.

Week 1: We both lost. I would say Kelce/Jones had a hand in their loss but they were also at home in a banner drop game. We were on the road against a top defense.

Week 2: Both won. Buffalo dominated a bottom 10 team. Chiefs won against a Jag team...I can't get a handle on. And they struggled.

Week:: Both won. Buffalo won their game on the road against a middle of the pack to mediocre team. Chiefs motorboat the worst team in football, in a week their DC re-signs, on their own home turf. 

First impression of this version of the Chiefs is they are vulnerable. Buffalo and/or Miami could easily pass them by.

Chiefs lost while being without 2 of their 3 elite players.

Bills lost to Zach Wilson. 

that’s why I think the chiefs deserve to be ahead of the bills.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

That's a valid point. 

Except the Bills lost to the Jets who have a Super Bowl caliber defense. Not Zach Wilson. Wins...still not a QB stat. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

That's a valid point. 

Except the Bills lost to the Jets who have a Super Bowl caliber defense. Not Zach Wilson. Wins...still not a QB stat. 

Dallas put up 30 on that defense.  Mac jones had zero turnover and put up one less point than allen did and the pats beat that defense

you do agree that KC (without Kelce and jones) losing to Detroit is a better looking loss than the bills losing to jets?

I think we’re better than the chiefs at full strength. I thought we were better than them last year.  We beat them in their stadium. I thought we were better than the previous year, when the impossible happened in 13 seconds. 

but based on the games played this year, I’d probably give KC the nod just based on the losses.  

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Dallas put up 30 on that defense.  Mac jones had zero turnover and put up one less point than allen did and the pats beat that defense

you do agree that KC (without Kelce and jones) losing to Detroit is a better looking loss than the bills losing to jets?

I think we’re better than the chiefs at full strength. I thought we were better than them last year.  We beat them in their stadium. I thought we were better than the previous year, when the impossible happened in 13 seconds. 

but based on the games played this year, I’d probably give KC the nod just based on the losses.  

Yes, but in the same sense I think the Bills look better rolling the Raiders than the Chiefs do struggling to the Jags. I think the Jags are overrated.  I honestly don't care though. It means nothing at the end of the day. I think the winner of Bills/Fish game this week is #1 to this point of the season.

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yes, but in the same sense I think the Bills look better rolling the Raiders than the Chiefs do struggling to the Jags. I think the Jags are overrated.  I honestly don't care though. It means nothing at the end of the day. I think the winner of Bills/Fish game this week is #1 to this point of the season.

Yeah, means nothing after Sunday 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Divison games are different.  

Like why the Ravens and Browns handle the Bengals.  

Or the Patriots only allow the Fish to score 7 second half points.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Divison games are different.  

Like why the Ravens and Browns handle the Bengals.  

Or the Patriots only allow the Fish to score 7 second half points.  

Ok, the chiefs loss, without 2 superstars, is worse than losing to Zach Wilson because it’s a division game.  🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Point Differential works:

1 Dolphins +59

2 Bills +56

3 49ers +48

4 Cowboys +48

5 Browns +41 

6 Chiefs +38

7 Eagles +25

8 Packers +18

9 Ravens +16 

10 Lions +9 

11 Rams +7 

12 Cardinals +5 

13 Colts +4 

14 Saints +3 

15 Falcons +1 

16 Seahawks -1

17 Chargers -1 

18 Buccaneers -1

19 Texans -7

20 Patriots -7 

21 Vikings -13

22 Steelers -14

23 Jaguars -18

24 Jets -19 

25 Bengals -21

26 Titans -22

27 Panthers -27

28 Commanders -28 

29 Raiders -32 

30 Broncos -53 

31 Giants -55

32 Bears -59

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yes, Allen’s performance is the lowest floor. Chiefs were missing 2 of their 3 best players in their loss. Bills best player played perhaps his worst game out of the gates. Chiefs are ahead of the Bills right now.

Also, I don’t know why some people get hung up on point differential. It’s a silly stat lacking all context.

Edited by Airseven

19 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Dallas had no issues moving the ball on the Jets defense. 

They did have troubles scoring TDs though.  Dallas and Jets dont know each other like Bills and Jets do. Division games are usually more difficult for this reason.  Bills didn't really have a problem moving the ball either until Allen turned it over.  Dallas got 4 turnovers. On the flipside Allen turned it over 4 times.

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

They did have troubles scoring TDs though.  Dallas and Jets dont know each other like Bills and Jets do. Division games are usually more difficult for this reason.  Bills didn't really have a problem moving the ball either until Allen turned it over.  Dallas got 4 turnovers. On the flipside Allen turned it over 4 times.

The Jets built their team to play the Bills since they have been the top in the division for the past few seasons. Also, they view games against the Bills as their personal Super Bowl. Look at their game against NE they came out and played BLAH. But the Bills they get fired up for at least since Saleh has been there.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Gregg said:

The Jets built their team to play the Bills since they have been the top in the division for the past few seasons. Also, they view games against the Bills as their personal Super Bowl. Look at their game against NE they came out and played BLAH. But the Bills they get fired up for at least since Saleh has been there.

Exactly. We see the Jets twice a year every year. They plan all season for our games because we are the target. We are the litmus test. And they do have a damn good defense.  Outside of QB, that team is well built with some highly talented young guys to boot.  Dallas and the Jets is just another game on the schedule.  Division games are different.  Especially week 1.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/26/2023 at 1:44 PM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Honestly, they got totally screwed by the officials (legitimately), half their team was injured, and the Colts had the veteran Minshew starting.

Idk what their deal is but half the ravens team is always injured lol idk at what point it stops being an excuse if it’s almost always true 

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

I don't know that I 100% agree with this. Certainly, I can see your train of thinking and it is valid. I can also see the other side of the topic as well.

Yes KC was without 2 key players. So, they get a pass? For being outplayed on their home field but a decent yet not on their level team? Meanwhile, Buffalo's loss wasn't even so much the Jets winning it was Buffalo giving the game away. I can see both losses looking worse in different ways. 

I do think blaming losses on missing a couple key players is something that is a crutch in arguments. The "does it deserve an asterisk" argument. Did anyone give the Bills a pass for losing in the playoffs because we were down Von and Micah and Jones? Nope. You play with the guys on the field. Kansas City had time to plan for Jones not being there. Kelce missing was more short notice...but Andy is an offensive genius...so that could have been circumvented as well. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I don't know that I 100% agree with this. Certainly, I can see your train of thinking and it is valid. I can also see the other side of the topic as well.

Yes KC was without 2 key players. So, they get a pass? For being outplayed on their home field but a decent yet not on their level team? Meanwhile, Buffalo's loss wasn't even so much the Jets winning it was Buffalo giving the game away. I can see both losses looking worse in different ways. 

I do think blaming losses on missing a couple key players is something that is a crutch in arguments. The "does it deserve an asterisk" argument. Did anyone give the Bills a pass for losing in the playoffs because we were down Von and Micah and Jones? Nope. You play with the guys on the field. Kansas City had time to plan for Jones not being there. Kelce missing was more short notice...but Andy is an offensive genius...so that could have been circumvented as well. 

Now you’re shifting the goal posts and putting words in mouth. 

No, they don’t get a pass.  I’m strictly comparing the 2 losses.  We lost to backup Zach Wilson.  Not starting QB zach Wilson that had a week to prepare. We lost to Zach Wilson with zero reps all week.  

Kelce and Jones aren’t Just key players. They’re both perennial 1st team all pro-  first ballot HoFers.  If we played without diggs, we would’ve had little to no chance imo.  

again……No one is giving anyone a pass.  Not sure why that has suddenly become the basis of your debate.  

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Now you’re shifting the goal posts and putting words in mouth. 

No, they don’t get a pass.  I’m strictly comparing the 2 losses.  We lost to backup Zach Wilson.  Not starting QB zach Wilson that had a week to prepare. We lost to Zach Wilson with zero reps all week.  

Kelce and Jones aren’t Just key players. They’re both perennial 1st team all pro-  first ballot HoFers.  If we played without diggs, we would’ve had little to no chance imo.  

again……No one is giving anyone a pass.  Not sure why that has suddenly become the basis of your debate.  

You can keep saying we "lost to Zach Wilson" until the cows come home to make it sound worse. Wilson did nothing to beat us. We lost to a defense that played well, a fluke PR, and the restlessness of Josh Allen. We beat ourselves. 

At the end of the day, we lost on the road to a division rival. They lost their home opener to an inferior team. At the very least on the loss scale I would call those about as equally bad losses. Nothing that should overwhelmingly tip the scale into their favor in any kind of rankings. 

23 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

You can keep saying we "lost to Zach Wilson" until the cows come home to make it sound worse. Wilson did nothing to beat us. We lost to a defense that played well, a fluke PR, and the restlessness of Josh Allen. We beat ourselves. 

At the end of the day, we lost on the road to a division rival. They lost their home opener to an inferior team. At the very least on the loss scale I would call those about as equally bad losses. Nothing that should overwhelmingly tip the scale into their favor in any kind of rankings. 

Bills lost because of their best player. With questions about the offense coming into the season, that performance was significant. It’s why the Bills are in a second tier behind the 49er, Dolphins, Eagles, and Chiefs. Of course, everything can change this weekend.

53 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Agree to disagree 

• Agree 1

On 9/26/2023 at 12:18 PM, Rigotz said:

Looks like Dolphins are back to back week 3 Super Bowl champs, even with our own board members.

Week 1: Beat the Chargers by 2 (who lost to the Titans and almost lost to the Vikings)

Week 2: Beat the Patriots by 7 (who lost to the Eagles and almost lost to the Jets)

Week 3: Ran up the scoreboard against a team with "special needs"

What could possibly go wrong?

This.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.