Around the NFL Week 3

HappyDays

On 9/23/2023 at 5:12 AM, Einstein said:

A bit off-topic but probably not worth its own thread. 

Is it just my brain playing tricks on me or did NFL players use to show a hate for the other team more-so in the past than they do now?

What made me think of this is an interview I saw with Tom Brady. He mentioned that he is not interested in being friends with his opponents. He is there to beat your head in and specifically said, “I don’t know how you can want to crush the competition. But then have dinner with them the next night.”

Am I off-base or were more players aligned with Toms philosophy in the 70, 80’s and even 90’s, more so than today where players are hugging each other midfield after the game and exchanging jerseys?

I am not old enough to remember those days. But what I will say is FA changed the league. Teams used to keep a group of guys together for a long period of time. Guys move about much more these days and especially in the last decade when most teams based on analytics have begun to use FA mainly to fill holes and not for long term pieces you increasingly see guys play for 3 or 4 different teams within say 5 years. Which means you are bound to have many more guys you have played with as teammates and are friends with right around the league. 

QBs are probably the exception. Brady played for the Patriots for 20 years. But then even he, when he went to Tampa, brought his buddies along - Gronk, Shaq Mason, AB etc..

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not old enough to remember those days. But what I will say is FA changed the league. Teams used to keep a group of guys together for a long period of time. Guys move about much more these days and especially in the last decade when most teams based on analytics have begun to use FA mainly to fill holes and not for long term pieces you increasingly see guys play for 3 or 4 different teams within say 5 years. Which means you are bound to have many more guys you have played with as teammates and are friends with right around the league. 

QBs are probably the exception. Brady played for the Patriots for 20 years. But then even he, when he went to Tampa, brought his buddies along - Gronk, Shaq Mason, AB etc..

Loyalty used to he huge.. still is for some... not for others

But Brady absolutely had a disdain for opponents.. which he harassed

Josh certainly isn't buddy buddy with opposing players 

He is usually stiff arming them into oblivion and it's gritty and chippy

On 9/23/2023 at 3:13 AM, newcam2012 said:

Denver looks so bad though. They played two teams that aren't on the level of Miami. 

I don't see their defense stopping Miami. They have too many weapons and their coach is an olive tree of Shanahan. He's creative. 

The Denver D without Fangio is not great either. Oops whose the D coach for the Fins? 

I just don't see a close game unless the Fins are sleep walking. I don't think the will be looking ahead. 

Yea I agree. I am not as high on Miami as some people but Denver are horrible. Russell Wilson's stats once he is off the opening script are pathetic. The protection sucks and the defense (which actually survived losing Fangio just fine and was a top 10 unit last season under Ejiro Evero) has not been able to overcome the Vance Joseph effect and has regressed.

Miami win by two scores and then are brought back down to earth when they are thumped in Buffalo next weekend.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I agree. I am not as high on Miami as some people but Denver are horrible. Russell Wilson's stats once he is off the opening script are pathetic. The protection sucks and the defense (which actually survived losing Fangio just fine and was a top 10 unit last season under Ejiro Evero) has not been able to overcome the Vance Joseph effect and has regressed.

Miami win by two scores and then are brought back down to earth when they are thumped in Buffalo next weekend.

Waddle is out with concussion. Will be interesting to see if that has an impact 

On 9/22/2023 at 3:21 PM, Warcodered said:

This seems to happen every year to them, is there some sort of issue with their training staff or something?

It's like the Niners can't keep their QBs healthy, but it's spread around with the Ravens.

I think that the Ravens still beat Indy despite their casualty list.   I watched the rerun of their game with the Bengals last night, and they were impressive on both sides of the ball.   Lamar looked really, really good as a passer from the beginning, which made his runs later very effective.  Their new OC and their new receivers are "functioning as intended".   Their D got after Burrow and pretty much shut down the Cincy offense.  Cincy's first TD was a long kick return. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/22/2023 at 9:28 PM, billsfan89 said:

Has to be the training staff, the Bills during the drought (particularly during the Jauron and Chan years) were among the lead leaders in games lost to injury year in and year out. In 2018 the Bills fired their trainer ad overhauled the staff and have been one of the more healthy teams the past 5 seasons. 

Outliers will happen where teams get hurt abnormally but when It happens over a long period of time something else has to be contributing to it 

During the Jauron years, a lot of the injuries were because Jauron favored fast, small players.   When a smaller body collides at speed with a bigger body, it's the usually the smaller body that suffers.   I remember watching big RBs drag Bills LBs for 7 or 8 yards after they were tackled.  The Bills LBs were about the size of SSs.  

Edited by SoTier

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yeah free agency has changed it for sure...........but what has changed more recently is that top HS players travel and play with fellow top HS players from all over the country now.    You can be from Miami and play on a flag team with guys from CA and Illinois and Texas etc..    There is A LOT more fraternization amongst pro-caliber players at a younger age.   I don't think some of these kids even attend actual HS classes any more.   They play for their team on Friday night and then Saturday afternoon they can be seen 2,000 miles from home attending the game of some school they are *maybe* considering.   And in the offseason it's one U of Georgia/Alabama/Texas pool party after another these guys are attending together.    They simply know each other a lot better than they ever did 20 years ago.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah free agency has changed it for sure...........but what has changed more recently is that top HS players travel and play with fellow top HS players from all over the country now.    You can be from Miami and play on a flag team with guys from CA or Illinois and Texas etc..    There is A LOT more fraternization amongst pro-caliber players at a younger age.   I don't think some of these kids even attend actual HS classes any more.   They play for their team on Friday night and then Saturday afternoon they can be seen 2,000 miles from home attending the game of some school they are *maybe* considering.   And in the offseason it's one U of Georgia/Alabama/Texas pool party after another these guys are attending together.    They simply know each other a lot better than they ever did 20 years ago.

Good point. And the all star games have grown, and the Combine has grown and so when you put all that together it is totally to be expected I suppose that these guys have friends right across the league....

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Loyalty used to he huge.. still is for some... not for others

But Brady absolutely had a disdain for opponents.. which he harassed

Josh certainly isn't buddy buddy with opposing players 

He is usually stiff arming them into oblivion and it's gritty and chippy

IMO, players playing a long time with one team was more a product of the restrictiveness of the CBA than it was loyalty.

Players had zero leverage as far as mobility was concerned. There were plenty of players who didn't like the team they were with.

1 hour ago, Beast said:

A slate of awful games.

At least several of the early games will be competitive. The late afternoon games are awful for sure:

Early:

Indianapolis Colts at Baltimore Ravens

Tennessee Titans at Cleveland Browns

Atlanta Falcons at Detroit Lions
New Orleans Saints at Green Bay Packers

Houston Texans at Jacksonville Jaguars

Denver Broncos at Miami Dolphins

Los Angeles Chargers at Minnesota Vikings

New England Patriots at New York Jets

Buffalo Bills at Washington Commanders

Late

Carolina Panthers at Seattle Seahawks

Dallas Cowboys at Arizona Cardinals

Chicago Bears at Kansas City Chiefs

SNF

Pittsburgh Steelers at Las Vegas Raiders

MNF

Philadelphia Eagles at Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Los Angeles Rams at Cincinnati Bengals

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.