Pro Football Hall of Fame announces 173 Modern-Era Nominees for Class of 2024 (with 14 former Bills)

chongli

45 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Good call on Peppers. Definitely overlooked. 

That’s cool man but saying he’s just a name for the sake of saying one is a disservice to his play. IMO. 

I’m not knocking Ngata or his play or his HOF credentials. I’m knocking you for naming him and not even mentioning Peppers.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Yea no way I'd put Romo in. 

The other guy I've said before that I'd put in who others might not is Jared Allen. Two time single season sack leader and a seven year run in the middle of his career where he averaged 14.5 sacks. He is 12th on the all time list and the only two non-HoFers above him are Peppers (will go in this year) and Suggs (who I think becomes eligible next year). I think he doesn't get a lot of hype because he played on pretty average Kansas City and Minnesota teams. But in terms of guys who were truly dominant at their peak he fits the bill IMO. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

I’m not knocking Ngata or his play or his HOF credentials. I’m knocking you for naming him and not even mentioning Peppers.

Like I said brother, it was a good call and I overlooked him. Lot of names to sift through and I missed his, sorry to you and Mr.  Jules. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, chongli said:

Included are former Bills players:

Doug Flutie (thanks to @Just Jack for the catching the omission!)

Takeo Spikes

London Fletcher

Brian Moorman

Ruben Brown

Bryce Paup

Pat Williams

Ted Washington

Cornelius Bennett (thanks to @Solomon Grundy for catching the omission!)

Larry Centers

Gary Anderson* (*only played for Buffalo in the pre-season of 1982 before being waived)

Am I omitting anyone from the list below?

If we're counting Anderson, don't we have to also count Boldin? He did play in one pre-season game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

• chongli changed the title to Pro Football Hall of Fame announces 173 Modern-Era Nominees for Class of 2024 (with 14 former Bills)
2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I must be getting old. The vast majority of that list is rather underwhelming. 

You saw their entire careers as an adult. No one ever seems as good as the players that you watched as a kid. That's why, to me, Joe Montana will always be the best QB of all time. He seemed larger than life. Brady just won a lot of football games. I'm sure that if I were 20 years older, I would feel the same way about Unitas.  

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, BBFL said:

Going to go out on a limb and say Antonio Gates, Ngata, Willie McGinest, Nick Mangold and Willie Anderson make it. 

All good picks.  Although Willie McGinest is a real deuche of a human being.  And he was a Patriot on top of his deuchiness.  

Antonio Gates is an all timer in my book.  I would also give serious consideration to Torey Holt Julius Peppers Patrick Willis and Reggie Wayne.  And punter Shane Lechler.  The best punter of all time.  Sorry Ray Guy, but you were great way back when.  But not as good as Lechler in the modern era.  And James Harrison.  He was one bad ass player.  I don't think he could even play in today's game.  LOL

15 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Larry Centers, now that's a name I forgot about. Guy played FB & was a pass catching machine. Pretty sure he holds a lot of reception records for the position right? 

And I'm always pro-Ruben Brown, so hope he makes it

Edit: How is Marc Bulger a nominee? Does just everyone that was above average for a couple seasons get on the list? 

Ruben Brown was a good O lineman.  Never thought he was an all pro player.  And definitely not an all timer.  For ***** and giggles who do you think had a better career as a Bill.  Ruben Brown or Kyle Williams?

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.