Jonathan Taylor... NOW!

The_Ripster

4 hours ago, The_Ripster said:

1. They gotta get rid of Dorsey
2. They gotta go out and get the every-down offensive weapon they need

Thoughts?

Pop Quiz:  When was the last time a SB winner had a 1000 yard rusher?  

Answer:  2016.

Winning a Super Bowl and having a dominant run game do not go hand in hand anymore.  We don't need Taylor, we need to be smarter in how we call games (Dorsey), use our personnel (Dorsey again), and execute and make decisions on the field (Allen).  None of that has anything to do with needing Jonathon Taylor.

• Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Willie Parker's salary was $4.15m the year the Steelers won the Superbowl in 09. That was the first one I checked. I doubt there's more but there's one. 

Sorry. There's been a few people saying there's been 0 players/teams that did or didn't do ____ when there has. 

Please see “starting RB” he was not the starter. 

5 hours ago, Bangarang said:

At no point last night did I think our biggest problem was RB. To answer question, I think it’s a dumb idea.

RB was not the problem. Cook looked good, hes not breece hall and he didnt need to be last night. Spending draft capitol/money on an RB is probably the worst thing beane could do right now.

53 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Winning a Super Bowl and having a dominant run game do not go hand in hand anymore.  We don't need Taylor, we need to be smarter in how we call games (Dorsey), use our personnel (Dorsey again), and execute and make decisions on the field (Allen).  None of that has anything to do with needing Jonathon Taylor.

Agree but the Bills need a much improved Oline and more explosive weapons. 

The offensive roster from top to bottom is just okay. Without a dynamic Allen it's probably much below average at all positions. 

Really evaluate each position: 

RB, WR, TE, and Oline. Are any of them top 10 material? 

Then put in Dorsey for good measures. 

This offense only goes as far as Allen takes us. It's 80 percent on him. He knows it and that's why he plays Superman. I think he feels the pressure. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Agree but the Bills need a much improved Oline and more explosive weapons. 

The offensive roster from top to bottom is just okay. Without a dynamic Allen it's probably much below average at all positions. 

Really evaluate each position: 

RB, WR, TE, and Oline. Are any of them top 10 material? 

Then put in Dorsey for good measures. 

This offense only goes as far as Allen takes us. It's 80 percent on him. He knows it and that's why he plays Superman. I think he feels the pressure. 

Personally, the talent is on this roster offensively and collectively at the skill positions they are in the top 10.  OL is not, but it does seem to be trending better than last year.  

I agree, I think Allen felt the pressure to elevate his team and was pressing too much, especially after the mistakes started piling up.  But, adding Taylor changes very little IMO because we just don't run even with the talent we have.  We have our best RB room since Allen go here and yet we still didn't run the ball much with them combining for something like 16 carries all game in a close game where Allen was struggling.  

Our run design is terrible and predominantly run from the stand point of being tricky more than committing to run the ball.  We still run out of non-traditional formations and Dorsey still calls draws for Allen and Cook even though we have guys like Harris and Murray better suited for those plays.  

I just don't see JT bringing much more to the team as long as Dorsey is OC.  He can't help when he isn't getting the ball.  

1 minute ago, Carmel Corn said:

It won't happen, but IMHO a top RB can help this offense.  It sure worked for the Jets last night.

The Jets did NOT win that game because of ANYTHING that Breece Hall either did or didn’t do. What game was everyone watching? Allen played like crap and then when it really mattered the special teams allowed a punt return for a touchdown in a walk off. Hall was sitting on the sideline when all of that happened. 

• Eyeroll 1

7 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Anyone else read the title like a ShamWow Infomercial?

You can get Jonathan Taylor NOW for just 16 installment payments of $750K!

That's not all, if you order within the next 48 hours, we will send you not 1 but 2 Jonathan Taylors, just pay separate handling fees. And wait, there is more we will slash your first payment, that's right you get 2 Jonathan Taylors for only 15 easy payments of 750k.

• Haha (+1) 1

Cooks and Harris are perfectly fine RBs. The issue is Dorsey and the way Josh is being coached. Daboll had Josh playing much more disciplined then Dorsey. Not sure if it's the play calling or what but it's not working. Dorsey may have been a great QB coach but as an OC he stinks.  It feels like they are just letting Josh do what ever he wants instead of coaching up a game plan and sticking to it. Also someone has got to tell him to stop throwing his body around the field recklessly. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BILLS55 said:

Cooks and Harris are perfectly fine RBs. The issue is Dorsey and the way Josh is being coached. Daboll had Josh playing much more disciplined then Dorsey. Not sure if it's the play calling or what but it's not working. Dorsey may have been a great QB coach but as an OC he stinks

Agree !

OC is in Josh head (ear) literally EVERY play. Dabs had the knowledge gravitas and did the qb whispering/shouting, plays, insight 

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Personally, the talent is on this roster offensively and collectively at the skill positions they are in the top 10.  OL is not, but it does seem to be trending better than last year.  

I agree, I think Allen felt the pressure to elevate his team and was pressing too much, especially after the mistakes started piling up.  But, adding Taylor changes very little IMO because we just don't run even with the talent we have.  We have our best RB room since Allen go here and yet we still didn't run the ball much with them combining for something like 16 carries all game in a close game where Allen was struggling.  

Our run design is terrible and predominantly run from the stand point of being tricky more than committing to run the ball.  We still run out of non-traditional formations and Dorsey still calls draws for Allen and Cook even though we have guys like Harris and Murray better suited for those plays.  

I just don't see JT bringing much more to the team as long as Dorsey is OC.  He can't help when he isn't getting the ball.  

I'm not advocating acquiring Taylor. That would be a collosal mistake. 

We will disagree about the skill positions being top 10. I don't see it and frankly it's not really close. 

Running back has been a need for this team post Fred Jackson/McCoy. I know the league has evolved and RBs have been devalued but Josh specifically would greatly benefit from a top tier RB.  It would take some of the pressure off of him and possibly make him feel less need to press and take so many risks. Watching James cook immediately stop and sometimes go backwards at any form of contact is frustrating.  I miss the way Jackson always chose the right crease , always fell forward, always squeezed every ounce of productivity out of every run.  Taylor is very similar to that and I think in our specific situation it would really be beneficial to the offense and put us in more attainable 3rd down situations

Edited by Finkle Is Einhorn

8 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Why get more weapons when we wont even use the ones we have?

Reminds me of the Ren & Stimpy Rubber Nipple Salesmen episode.  

Stimpy: [whispers] You promised! [Ren motions Stimpy to continue.] Duhh hello, sir! Would you like to buy some shiny new Rubber Nipples? I made them myself! [smiles]

Mr. Pipe: Hmmm, nipples huh? Let me ask the wife. Honey, are we short on Rubber Nipples?

Mrs. Pipe: Now dear, don't you go buying new Rubber Nipples when you don't use the ones you already have.

Mr. Pipe: Well, maybe I would if they weren't all chewed up. Come on in, boys. Let's see what you've got.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

A bit deceiving. Sony Michel had 931 yards in 2018 and the Eagles finished 3rd in rushing yards in 2017. Also in 2018, the Pats finished 3rd in rushing attempts and 5th in rushing yards. Good RBs are an asset provided you have a great QB (which the Bills have).

Edited by dave mcbride

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.