2023 NFL Season - Week #1 - Bills at Jets - Post game game thread

BuffaloBill

RT is a big problem. You can't win anything with a QB who turns the ball over at the rate Allen does. Defense still giving up huge chunk plays on the ground.  Don't know about ST's-- seems like last year there was always an issue at some point in a game. And then the game ends on disaster there tonight.

Further to Allen’s regression, despite many on this board wanting Daboll fired for his sometimes vanilla offense, I think, in retrospect, that vanilla kept Josh within his boundaries, and took away the need to play hero ball that we see more and more.  Daboll had a comforting relationship with Josh. But he would also kick him in the arse when Josh needed it. 

it’s clear he doesn’t have that with Dorsey. I think Dorsey just lets Josh freewheel too much. 

• Like (+1) 1

We quite literally gave them this game... Handed it to them on a silver platter. But that's an old story with this team now... Their star QB is regressing before our eyes because they can't figure it out. 

The Jets get a really bad break, but in the 2nd half especially they get the ultimate gift. Josh can't even be smart enough to understand that zero TO's equals an easy win the minute the old man goes out? Or we don't have anyone that can relay that message? No one?  That's it. Win ugly...Whatever... But it's a win. And he just can't help himself. This game was lost by John Allen and the fact that we had a full off season and no one seems to have gotten through to him that we can't turn the f'ing ball over. I really cannot believe it... Like... They did not have to be great tonight. The minute the old man goes down just don't be stupid. Embarrassing. 

There's no excuse and in the end it's on McDermott. I agree with the guy on the radio just now. You lose twice to Zach Wilson in 2 years then it's on the HC... We almost got beat in the Playoffs by the Dolphins 3rd string QB and we got rolled by the Bengals. I understand Josh just did stupid things tonight, but he was doing stupid things last year too and they had a full offseason to figure this crap out. They have already failed in week one. Good teams do not lose this game... They just don't. It turns out all the Jets had to do is make sure Wilson did not turn it over more than Josh, and play ultra conservative. Incredible.

I realize Josh has limitless upside, but again...They had all off season, drafted a weapon in the 1st...And this is the best they can do? They have 16 games to change my mind... But I'm admittedly pissed and in "blow-it-up" mood right now. Get the next McDaniel in here please. 

I'm sorry...

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, klos63 said:

The Jets are weak at LB?

I started looking a drives, cook had a 12 yard gain on a first and 10, so you are wrong there. 

The game plan was doing ok against a top defense, except for 4 really stupid turnovers by Allen. Can't expect to win with that.

You liked the game plan?

They were in shot gun all game with essentially no play action to slow down one of the best pass rushes in the league 

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Yeah man he sat down and seemed to say “same ***** different day”(?) after letting out a long sigh? No idea what that was about.

I like the fact that he owned it - this L is one me. 
But that air of resignation was weird. It wasn’t the old cocky “I screwed up, I’m gonna fix it.” It was more of “this just ain’t working.”

1 minute ago, KOKBILLS said:

We quite literally gave them this game... Handed it to them on a silver platter. But that's an old story with this team now... Their star QB is regressing before our eyes because they can't figure it out. 

The Jets get a really bad break, but in the 2nd half especially they get the ultimate gift. Josh can't even be smart enough to understand that zero TO's equals an easy win the minute the old man goes out? Or we don't have anyone that can relay that message? No one?  That's it. Win ugly...Whatever... But it's a win. And he just can't help himself. This game was lost by John Allen and the fact that we had a full off season and no one seems to have gotten through to him that we can't turn the f'ing ball over. I really cannot believe it... Like... They did not have to be great tonight. The minute the old man goes down just don't be stupid. Embarrassing. 

There's no excuse and in the end it's on McDermott. I agree with the guy on the radio just now. You lose twice to Zach Wilson in 2 years then it's on the HC... We almost got beat in the Playoffs by the Dolphins 3rd string QB and we got rolled by the Bengals. I understand Josh just did stupid things tonight, but he was doing stupid things last year too and they had a full offseason to figure this crap out. They have already failed in week one. Good teams do not lose this game... They just don't. It turns out all the Jets had to do is make sure Wilson did not turn it over more than Josh, and play ultra conservative. Incredible.

I realize Josh has limitless upside, but again...They had all off season, drafted a weapon in the 1st...And this is the best they can do? They have 16 games to change my mind... But I'm admittedly pissed and in "blow-it-up" mood right now. Get the next McDaniel in here please. 

I'm sorry...

Go Bills!!!

Gave them the game?? Our defense earned this win, plain and simple.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, AuntieEm said:

No he makes himself play for 2nd and 12 every drive because he won't wear out defenses by drinking and dunking all around the field they aren't protecting.

But if you want to get real about it, the Jets' whole philosophy on defense is flooding the pass routes while only rushing 4 defensive linemen. There are no areas of the field they aren't protecting. And they're also good at defending the run. That's why you need to scheme up plays that either draw the linemen in too far to defend against short yardage plays or scheme up plays that leverage mismatches. Dorsey did neither.

40 minutes ago, MPT said:

The first two were just punts. The third was a desperate pass on a called low percentage out route. The fumble was just a result of what happens when you give your QB impossible tasks for 3 hours straight.

The second INT was thrown on second down.  Punts happen on 4th down.  That was absolutely not a punt.  It was a bad decision to throw deep into the middle of the field with a safety back there, while he's about to be hit.

The fumble happened because Allen lost focus and took his eyes off the snap, then instead of just going down, he tried to make something happen and ran into traffic, putting both himself and the ball into harms way.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Bleedingreennc said:

If Josh Allen keeps his eyes on the snap for the fumble play, there's a good chance the Bills win despite everything else. Not because your defense wasn't otherworldly, but only because you didn't have an offense. It took self-inflicted wounds to lose that one. With a competent QB, a very different story. It wouldn't have been close.

One game and the first game, but something was wrong with the offense starting with the GB game and it continues now into another season.  I don't see that the supposed upgrades made any difference on offense, but it is hard to know whether this is Josh, Dorsey, the o-line or a lack of playmakers on offense, particularly at WR.  A combination of all of these things, but I have to think that without Josh, even when he plays poorly, this offense would be bad every game and all of the time.

Just now, Bleedingreennc said:

Let's give props to your defense.  Your defense played very well.  Your RBs played well.  And Garrett Wilson looks like Truth.

But Allen gift-wrapped three interceptions and a fumble and handed them to you.  Two of those throws and arguably three, should never have been made.

Your defense didn't interfere with the snap and cause Allen to lose it, nor did your defense force Allen to run after he recovered it.

Given those errors in judgement and mistakes, again, Give Props - you Finished.  Kudos.

5 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Completely agree but only 4 targets. Can’t tell how much of that is on him, Dorsey, Allen but I suspect it’s not much his fault. Offense didn’t spread it around much at all despite all of our supposed weapons. Our big boy TEs had 8 targets combined.

We got beat by Zach Wilson again.

I'm tired of these excuses and I want to see improvement and accountability or this team isn't sniffing the playoffs.

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.