Wicked Knee Pain

Irv

6 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

If this is the knee pain thread, I have come to the right place. Seeing the doctor next week. Think I may have slightly torn the meniscus playing pickleball of all things. Sort of clicking and not as stable.

I tore my meniscus a couple years ago playing hockey. It didn’t require surgery, but I had to go to physical therapy for a couple months and then continue exercises at home. It took about six months before it felt normal again.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PastaJoe said:

I tore my meniscus a couple years ago playing hockey. It didn’t require surgery, but I had to go to physical therapy for a couple months and then continue exercises at home. It took about six months before it felt normal again.

were you able to play through it at all? I know it is probably a bad idea, but I have been bracing the knee and continuing to do some sports, like bball and golf. For bball, I am taking it easier— sort of trying not to cut hard, etc. Haven’t had more issues yet, but obviously the knee isn’t right. (Going to see a doc next week).

5 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

were you able to play through it at all? I know it is probably a bad idea, but I have been bracing the knee and continuing to do some sports, like bball and golf. For bball, I am taking it easier— sort of trying not to cut hard, etc. Haven’t had more issues yet, but obviously the knee isn’t right. (Going to see a doc next week).

I did play but it just depends on your pain tolerance. I did the prescribed stretching exercises beforehand, some with elastic bands, to loosen it up. And I’ve worn level 2 braces on both knees ever since. It was a dull pain, but sometimes I’d still get a quick sharp pain.

• Thank you (+1) 1

May seem crazy but try Magnesium spray. Relatively cheap and at least from my times from tearing my PCL and MCL in the knee and LUCL in my elbow that it helps reduce the tenderness and aches by relaxing the muscles and surrounding areas. 

• Like (+1) 1

Let me start by saying I've never been high in my life.
Until I herniated my back last summer and a neighbor of mine owns a smoke shop. He said take a gummie. I said I've never been high and I don't want to be. He told me just take one and if it doesn't help with the pain I can try another one. 
I took one and it did nothing so 20 mins later I took two more. 
bad bad move. 3 gummies in 20 mins time. Needless to say I was as high as a dragon. Still felt pain (nothing helps a herniated disk) 

amyway it wasn't just cbd, it was THC and I didn't know that it took about an hour to kick in. 
let me end by saying I got high once. 

Edited by Goin Breakdown
  • Like (+1) 2

On 8/31/2023 at 9:23 AM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I had a sprain and torn meniscus that I played (hockey) through for maybe a month when I was 29.  It wasn't getting any better so I caved and had it checked out and diagnosed.  It's really going to depend on the severity.  I wound up doing PT for a while, which wasn't helping, and eventually got scoped.  I'm sure age played a major role, but recovery was pretty fast after that.

I wish I could remember some of those PT exercises.  The damn thing has been bugging me since the fall when I tweaked it doing some yard work.  12 years later the damn thing can still act up at random moments even before the recent tweak.

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, shrader said:

I had a sprain and torn meniscus that I played (hockey) through for maybe a month when I was 29.  It wasn't getting any better so I caved and had it checked out and diagnosed.  It's really going to depend on the severity.  I wound up doing PT for a while, which wasn't helping, and eventually got scoped.  I'm sure age played a major role, but recovery was pretty fast after that.

I wish I could remember some of those PT exercises.  The damn thing has been bugging me since the fall when I tweaked it doing some yard work.  12 years later the damn thing can still act up at random moments even before the recent tweak.

Thanks so much. very helpful. 

It’s weird. I am not feeling a lot of pain, but some instability and “crunchiness and clicking, and just not cutting like I need to. I played hoops this morning and did this pivot (trying not to put weight on that bad leg), and just fell on my butt. Very embarrassing. But I figure if I can get some PT and just kind of be careful playing through it, I won’t have to miss time playing sports, which is my major form of exercise.

This is a good explanation of why some meniscus tears can heal without surgery, and others can't:

https://aidmymeniscus.com/torn-meniscus/meniscus-blood-supply-zones.php

I tore a meniscus around age 60 that had to be trimmed with arthroscopic surgery because it was in an area with little blood flow and the torn fragment was painfully impacting joint movement.  Post-surgery, after a few weeks swimming, then walking, and finally jogging in my HOA's shallow lap pool, my knee got fully back to normal.  I now play basketball and pickleball several times a week with absolutely no issues, but I was fortunate that I had no arthritis in the knee that would have complicated my recovery.  There's hope for full recovery with this type of knee problem.

On 8/31/2023 at 12:40 AM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

If this is the knee pain thread, I have come to the right place. Seeing the doctor next week. Think I may have slightly torn the meniscus playing pickleball of all things. Sort of clicking and not as stable.

Meniscus.  Get the surgery and your right as rain in 3 weeks. No rehab needed and nothing stronger than Tylenol for pain.  I used Johnie walker black but each to their own.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/31/2023 at 9:23 AM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

That doesn’t sound like a meniscus tear.  I had one and had surgery.  My left knee was unstable and hurt. Had to use a cane.

On 9/1/2023 at 11:39 AM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

It’s weird. I am not feeling a lot of pain, but some instability and “crunchiness and clicking, and just not cutting like I need to. I played hoops this morning and did this pivot (trying not to put weight on that bad leg), and just fell on my butt. Very embarrassing. But I figure if I can get some PT and just kind of be careful playing through it, I won’t have to miss time playing sports, which is my major form of exercise.

It sounds like a torn meniscus.  Had a tear on my left d had surgery in oct 2019.  My knee was unstable and would give out. Had to use a cane. Thr dr finished the year and took about 30% out.

Edited by djp14150
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My Pop sweared by this- might want to try turmeric- get high quality capsules with black pepper (it activates the turmeric).  Another I'd try is green lipped mussel from NZ.  That one also supplements a poor fish diet without having to take fish-oil capsules.

There's no doubt my dog is way better off since she's been taking the green lipped mussel.  Probably me too. 

On 8/30/2023 at 9:40 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I got diagnosed with a torn meniscus a few weeks ago.  I didn't have the clicking and thought it was an MCL.  It's getting better... think I got lucky- best wishes. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/1/2023 at 11:39 AM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I had meniscus surgery twice. The reason for the second time is because the surgeon never scrapped the torn parts. He cleared out some water cysts is had and left the tear. Crazy right!?  Anyway I went over ten years just dealing with the in and off pain. I could go most of the year totally fine with no restrictions and then it would flare up and my knee would always feel like it was going to give out and I always feared noodling over. After my sucked up surgery I have been totally fine. It took a couple weeks to feel comfortable and eventually I just didn't notice it anymore. It's a personal choice to get it fixed now or later. You wont regret getting it worked in though (when you do)

• Thank you (+1) 1

Being a butterfly-style goalie for 30+ years ground the cartilage off the medial compartment of both knees. Rather than get a typical "door hinge" replacement knee, I had a pair of Conformis custom implants done. They feel 99% natural and while I can't play goalie anymore (for other reasons) I can play sports like pickleball just fine.

• Like (+1) 1

While we’re at it, anyone have ankle trouble? 

I had a killer sprain in college that never fully healed. 10+ years later it still clicks and grinds. No pain generally other than feeling weaker than my other. It’s permanently swollen/enlarger by an obvious amount. Gotta wonder if I did more damage than initially thought that never healed properly 🤔

On 9/2/2023 at 10:24 PM, djp14150 said:

That doesn’t sound like a meniscus tear.  I had one and had surgery.  My left knee was unstable and hurt. Had to use a cane.

It sounds like a torn meniscus.  Had a tear on my left d had surgery in oct 2019.  My knee was unstable and would give out. Had to use a cane. Thr dr finished the year and took about 30% out.

It sounds like you had a more severe tear than most others. 

On 9/3/2023 at 1:47 PM, Goin Breakdown said:

I had meniscus surgery twice. The reason for the second time is because the surgeon never scrapped the torn parts. He cleared out some water cysts is had and left the tear. Crazy right!?  Anyway I went over ten years just dealing with the in and off pain. I could go most of the year totally fine with no restrictions and then it would flare up and my knee would always feel like it was going to give out and I always feared noodling over. After my sucked up surgery I have been totally fine. It took a couple weeks to feel comfortable and eventually I just didn't notice it anymore. It's a personal choice to get it fixed now or later. You wont regret getting it worked in though (when you do)

I'm convinced that mine was an old injury too.  The MCL sprain made it act up and neither would heal properly on their own.  The PT doc was very surprised when it was diagnosed because nothing during therapy screamed meniscus.

52 minutes ago, shrader said:

It sounds like you had a more severe tear than most others. 

I'm convinced that mine was an old injury too.  The MCL sprain made it act up and neither would heal properly on their own.  The PT doc was very surprised when it was diagnosed because nothing during therapy screamed meniscus.

Yeah man I'd be totally fine when the PT would  twist and turn my knee if it wasn't flared up. Flare up wouldn't even have to be caused by anything. Sometimes I'd just wake up and there it was. The straw that broke it open was when I couldn't walk up stairs lol. 

My People!!!!!

Had ACL surgery back in April, which has always been my nightmare.  As I got older, knee pain was always the thing I never wanted above all other pain.  Unlike others here, I couldn't put any weight on my leg at all.  If I slipped up and even slightly leaned on it, it felt like my leg was going to snap off at the knee.  

After my surgery, my body apparently went into shock and activated my planter fasciitis and enflamed achilles tendinitis at the same time.  So, while I was supposed to be able to stand up on the day after surgery, I couldn't even touch my feet to the ground for about two weeks.  Needless to say, it really slowed down my recovery.

Now, 4 months later, I still feel some form of pain with every single step I take.  I was able to find some solutions for my feet (wearing slippers around the house with insoles, and splint socks when my ankles flair up), but my knee is behind schedule.  I can lift about 50% of the weight of my good knee, but going down stairs is still a nightmare.  

When I surgeon last, he said he noticed some instability, but wants to wait until my next appointment.  When I had my surgery, while my ACL was shot, my MCL was also torn but considered stable.  I don't know if that is still a problem or what, but it's all frustrating.

We head to London for 8 days in October, and the idea of all the walking is intimidating, but I'll take pain meds if needed.

Rant over

On 8/30/2023 at 10:48 PM, Irv said:

I have some pretty good swelling.  Always been a good athlete.  Never had this.  Does CBD work?  

There are different type of anti-inflammatorys and I found they can be really hit or miss.  The first month after my surgery, they switched my meds and it made a HUGE difference.  

CBD never worked for me, but others say it does.  It feels like the trendy drug to me, but I don't know

Edited by Virgil

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.