Boogie traded to Giants

Rc2catch

The Creed Humphrey Truthers are howling at the moon…

41 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Why not bring up the Zach Wilson pick? 

Because it was the correct position to swing for.  If you don’t have a QB there is no other use of a high draft pick.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

1 hour ago, Since1981 said:

I always think draft best available and then shuffle players scheme around. Boogie was poor shoe horn fit.

i just can’t believe he was basically given away free. He’s not THAT bad. 

Added 1M of cap space and moved up a round.  Not a huge haul but worth something…more than if they just cut him.

At the end of the day just a bad pick/fit, but Beane is willing to move on…

• Agree 2

34 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The Creed Humphrey Truthers are howling at the moon…

Because it was the correct position to swing for.  If you don’t have a QB there is no other use of a high draft pick.

Wouldn’t it be cool if we could see draft boards? I would love to know who the next player after Boogie was.

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is further proof that you don't pay attention to the Bills. Morse's contract is at the bottom of the list of reasons for why we've failed to get over the hump. Morse has in fact been our most consistent OL since we signed him in 2019.

Of course there is always some perfect hindsight hypothetical you could find to replace any medium sized contract with a good player on a rookie contract that the team in question didn't draft... I'm sure your team would much prefer to have Tee Higgins on a rookie deal over MVS's contract, while CEH languishes in 3rd place on the depth chart. But identifying individual draft failures is a pointless exercise.

Much worse than Beane's draft record is his free agency record. To use your team as an example, getting JuJu Smith-Schuster with a $3.7 million cap hit compared to us getting Jamsion Crowder for a $2 million cap hit was MUCH MUCH more impactful than the difference between Humphrey and Morse even accounting for Humphrey being quite a bit cheaper. You got a 77% catch percentage reliable 2nd option, we got an IR participant, for the difference of $1.7 million. I'd replace Humphrey AND Morse with our backup center Ryan Bates if it meant I could swap those WRs instead.

Beane has given wasteful contracts to the likes of Vernon Butler, Star Lotulelei, and Trent Murphy, while other contenders have gotten value from the likes of Trey Hendrickson, DJ Reader, and Hasson Reddick.

If you want to point to a major draft blunder, it was that the last time we had a top 10 pick we took Ed Oliver and then 4 pass rushers drafted after him all ended up being better players (Burns, Wilkins, Lawrence, Simmons). That was our last shot at a top 10 pick possibly ever in the Josh Allen era and we hit a single.

All of these errors I've outlined, and more, are far beyond failing to draft a good center when we already had a good center locked up. Humphrey doesn't move the needle for us at all. I have no clue why he has become the rallying cry for Bills fans looking to complain about Beane's record.

Yeah, I don’t pay attention to the Bills, and I know nothing about Mitch Morse.  BTW, where did he play before Buffalo and where did he play in college?  Morse is an average C who makes $11.5mm per season and has a history of concussions.  He could easily have been replaced by a late second rounder who is younger, cheaper, and better.  Beane could have saved $10mm a year, had a better player, and used the savings to pay Edmunds.

It doesn’t matter that there wasn’t a gaping hole at Center.  Waiting until you have gaping holes to address positions in the draft leads to situations like last year where everyone knew the Bills were going CB, so they got jumped and had to then trade up for Elam.  One bad pick has turned into two bad picks.  Now Basham is gone, Elam is at the bottom of the depth chart, and the team has no legitimate plan at MLB because they couldn’t afford to pay the 25 year old pro-bowl level they drafted.

The other issues you mentioned are all true, but that doesn’t mean picking Basham over Humphrey wasn’t a huge miss.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

What an epic waste of a second round draft pick.

Possibly even worse than the 3rd + 7th (corn) frittered away on Kelvin 'lardass' Benjamin.

Happens all over the league.

Dallas just swapped a corner that was taken in the 2nd for a corner that was taken in the first.  Detroit last year just got rid of a first round corner.

sf traded away the 3rd pick in the draft for a 4.  The eagles are shopping 1st rounder Derek Barnett.

its just part of it.  everybody misses and it is better to get rid of them if u think they cant or wont play.

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Billl said:

He could easily have been replaced by a late second rounder who is younger, cheaper, and better.

Yes he could have. Did you read my post?

53 minutes ago, Billl said:

One bad pick has turned into two bad picks. Now Basham is gone, Elam is at the bottom of the depth chart

What does this even mean? You're saying that drafting Basham instead of Humphrey somehow also led to us drafting Elam? You're all over the place.

26 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Happens all over the league.

Dallas just swapped a corner that was taken in the 2nd for a corner that was taken in the first.  Detroit last year just got rid of a first round corner.

sf traded away the 3rd pick in the draft for a 4.  The eagles are shopping 1st rounder Derek Barnett.

its just part of it.  everybody misses and it is better to get rid of them if u think they cant or wont play.

Yeah everyone crying about Beane's 2nd round record should look at Howie Roseman's 1st round record. It's littered with underwhelming players and outright busts. Yet Roseman is perceived (correctly) as the best GM in football.

Beane has 3 major issues in my estimation:

1) In two offseasons now he has failed to find a legitimate #2 WR for a Super Bowl offense.

2) He has not adequately addressed OT.

3) He has spent a fortune on depth caliber, or worse, defensive linemen.

I'll take back Jon Feliciano at center if each of those three mistakes had been handled differently.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Wouldn’t it be cool if we could see draft boards? I would love to know who the next player after Boogie was.

Even crazier is that we apparently had a trade in place UNLESS Boogie was on the board... we wanted him that bad. 

Wild how ridiculous that pick was. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Since1981 said:

i just can’t believe he was basically given away free. He’s not THAT bad. 

No, he actually is THAT bad. It was a bad pick from the jump. A 24 year old with no athletic traits that jumped off the tape. Players like that need to show who they are by the end of their rookie season. When his 2nd season came and went with no improvements, the book was written on his career. He's a DE4 or worse with no upside. That's why we got the proverbial bag of footballs for him.

Personally I believed Boogie would make the team because I thought he had shown more than Epenesa in preseason. But I'm guessing in the team's mind, it came down to the fact that even though Epenesa is hopeless at setting the edge which makes his snap count inherently limited, at least there is one thing he does decently well which helped him collect 6.5 sacks last year. When you're talking about DE4, that skill set is probably worth more than Boogie who did nothing at even an average level. So they wisely moved on from him while he still had any sort of value.

The pick was bad in 2021. It doesn't become worse now because we traded him away for nothing.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

No, he actually is THAT bad. It was a bad pick from the jump. A 24 year old with no athletic traits that jumped off the tape. Players like that need to show who they are by the end of their rookie season. When his 2nd season came and went with no improvements, the book was written on his career. He's a DE4 or worse with no upside. That's why we got the proverbial bag of footballs for him.

Personally I believed Boogie would make the team because I thought he had shown more than Epenesa in preseason. But I'm guessing in the team's mind, it came down to the fact that even though Epenesa is hopeless at setting the edge which makes his snap count inherently limited, at least there is one thing he does decently well which helped him collect 6.5 sacks last year. When you're talking about DE4, that skill set is probably worth more than Boogie who did nothing at even an average level. So they wisely moved on from him while he still had any sort of value.

The pick was bad in 2021. It doesn't become worse now because we traded him away for nothing.

Agree.  At least AJE and Kingsley can get after the QB, have devolved some varying pass rush moves/good hand use.

Boogie relies on a bull rush 95 out of 100, and just doesn't have the quickness/bend/agility.  He's a poor man Shaq Lawson, who can at least be relied on to set the edge and bring an attitude.

AJE is likely out the door after this year, though I think he could surprise with a 9-10 sack season. I fully expect us to bring more pressure/move Groot down inside on some passing snaps...which lead to increased opportunities for AJE-at least until Von returns.

5 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Please don’t go there from 2-53 the 49ers roster crushes ours. I would love to have Shanahan and Lynch over McBeane. 

When your QB is milquetoast, you have to have that.  Puts an awful lot more pressure on the GM and coach.  Not the ideal way to win a super bowl based on how the league is built.

17 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Even crazier is that we apparently had a trade in place UNLESS Boogie was on the board... we wanted him that bad. 

Wild how ridiculous that pick was. 

Their 2nd round picks have been terrible since Beane has been GM. Very little positive impact on team success.

Hopefully Cook and Torrence have positive results. I feel good about them.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

Look at how many missed 2nd & 3rd rounds picks he’s made. He deserves it

my bone to pick is that where was this criticism at the time these guys were drafted? where was the insight that it was a mistake?

it's a hot take because after the fact by a few years anyone can look articulate.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.