Beane concerned with Kyle Allen?

MarkKelso'sHelmet

41 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

He's 7-12 as a starter

Which is about what you’d expect of a guy relegated to journeyman backup. A .368 win percentage, and mostly on bad teams. In other words, expect him to go 1-2 as a starter if Josh misses 3 games. 2-1 if he’s lucky or his opponents are bad teams. 

13 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

36 years old,  career  79.9 rating   34 TD,  32 INT

Better than what we have 

I suggest you look at Kyle Allen’s career stats 

17 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Which is about what you’d expect of a guy relegated to journeyman backup. A .368 win percentage, and mostly on bad teams. In other words, expect him to go 1-2 as a starter if Josh misses 3 games. 2-1 if he’s lucky or his opponents are bad teams. 

I suggest you look at Kyle Allen’s career stats 

Fine, put Kyle Allen and Barkley on the PS because they are Josh buddies

19 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Which is ideally where they'd be, but an upgrade = more money, which they don't have under the cap, and if they did have would be better spent on upgrading/adding depth to the O line, or linebacker, or other places.

The names I'm hearing here as possible upgrades - Colt McCoy, PJ Walker, etc. - aren't upgrades at all. Case Keenum is probably a bit better, but he would probably cost more in trade value and/or salary. Trey Lance would've been intriguing, but the Bills were a bad fit for him: he's raw and the chances of him not even keeping you in a game that your defense/special teams can win are lower, and there's no sense in grooming him to take over since Allen will be here for a long time.

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Which is ideally where they'd be, but an upgrade = more money, which they don't have under the cap, and if they did have would be better spent on upgrading/adding depth to the O line, or linebacker, or other places.

The names I'm hearing here as possible upgrades - Colt McCoy, PJ Walker, etc. - aren't upgrades at all. Case Keenum is probably a bit better, but he would probably cost more in trade value and/or salary. Trey Lance would've been intriguing, but the Bills were a bad fit for him: he's raw and the chances of him not even keeping you in a game that your defense/special teams can win are lower, and there's no sense in grooming him to take over since Allen will be here for a long time.

Depends how much you think Kyle Allen sucks. I think he sucks a lot.

Case Keenum isn't as good as in his prime but he is a completely different tier to Kyle. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

You need a strong arm to run this deep ball offense.  Kyle has a stronger arm than Keenum and Barkley.

Barkleys throwing floaters out there on some of those 40 yard outs.

Kyle just needs more time to learn the offense and he will be fine.

I thought he made some nice throws in the last preseason game, especially threading the needle on that TD pass.

7 hours ago, DCofNC said:

For the love, you really think GMs are not humans?  It doesn’t take a genius to see what everyone else does and for him to say something along those lines in a casual conversation would not at all surprise me.  

I have personally interacted with past GMs, while they were on the job, their passion is football, they talk football and yes they talk about the players.  They hear/see what fans/media say, it’s not like they are robots in a bubble.   I was speaking with a former GM and brought up a big signing and asked him point blank if he really thought it was worth it, he gave me a real answer about the player and ended it with “I hope it works out, because I’ll be out of a job if it doesn’t”.  For those that care, it did work out pretty well and he’s still out of a job 😂

I understand they are human have lapses but I just don't see them giving that type of personal judgement to someone on the TV media broadcast team.  As well I don't think many of the TV crews aren't pretty good about saving such condos away from the mics, even if t hey thought they were off.

48 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Josh makes enough cash to treat his buddies to a small visit at his home. Or treat buddies to a nice vacation trip with him in offseason.

Edited by AuntieEm

27 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

You need a strong arm to run this deep ball offense.  Kyle has a stronger arm than Keenum and Barkley.

Barkleys throwing floaters out there on some of those 40 yard outs.

Kyle just needs more time to learn the offense and he will be fine.

I thought he made some nice throws in the last preseason game, especially threading the needle on that TD pass.

I'm disappointed in Kyles play so far BUT I keep him over Barkley.  I'm rewatching the Bears game and as I read your post Kyle hit Atemon for 20 yarder

down the middle.  It was a strong throw.  Keep Kyle as the #2 but bring in competition for him on the PS.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

I understand they are human have lapses but I just don't see them giving that type of personal judgement to someone on the TV media broadcast team.  As well I don't think many of the TV crews aren't pretty good about saving such condos away from the mics, even if t hey thought they were off.

Josh makes enough cash to treat his buddies to a small visit at his home. Or treat buddies to a nice vacation trip with him in offseason.

I think you over estimate the amount guys talk, but believe what you want.

Here is a link to the article (from June of 2022) where Fitz said he doesn't want to be a backup here and why.  Good read.

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2022/06/ryan-fitzpatrick-reveals-why-he-wouldnt-be-backup-to-buffalo-bills-josh-allen.html#:~:text=Why%3F,that pattern continue in 2022.

Edited by Nuncha

Now that Dallas has Trey Lance and Cooper Rush,   Beane should trade for Will Grier.  he’s still relatively young, has wheels, and appears to be getting it.  I’d rather have someone like that than what we know won’t work.

• Disagree 1

22 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Depends how much you think Kyle Allen sucks. I think he sucks a lot.

Case Keenum isn't as good as in his prime but he is a completely different tier to Kyle. 

I agree with that. Keenum has actually had a decent run of success in the NFL, which will never happen for the likes of Kyle Allen and Matt Barkley.

But again: priorities. Spotrac says Keenum (under his current contract) brings a cap hit of $2.8 million. Kyle Allen? $1.1 million

You get what you pay for.

On 8/27/2023 at 11:58 PM, QCity said:

Beane has been on Miller's SiriusXM radio show every year since he's been a GM. It seems they have a good relationship and not inconceivable that they speak off the record.

Beane's rumored persuit of Lance lends credence. 

Of course, the clear evidence is how poorly the backups have played, especially in terms of protecting the football.

So here's the thing.  If I speak "off the record" to you, it means I'm speaking in confidence.  It's between you, me, and the walls.

If you then make it between you, me, and your radio broadcast buddy IN THE BOOTH, with microphones around, it's no longer "off the record".  You have broken my confidence.

If it were true that Beane said something like that "off the record" to Miller, you need to change the tense to "it seems they HAD a good relationship".

Edited by Beck Water

On 8/28/2023 at 12:32 AM, HappyDays said:

You'd be surprised what reporters find out that they never actually report, and equally surprised how careless many people are around microphones. I didn't hear the slip-up myself but it's not totally unbelievable that this happened. I believe Beane has a good relationship with Jim Miller actually, he goes on his radio show a fair amount. GMs will divulge a lot of things in casual conversations off the air, especially inconsequential things like this.

I guess opinions will vary, but if you express such a negative opinion of a player you have signed and are evaluating - not just "he's struggling right now, the playbook is new to him, I'm concerned" but "he just doesn't have what it takes / it's never gonna happen for him" - Wow.  That's a very concerning way to talk about your roster to a member of the media, even "off the record".  I don't think that's inconsequential to tell the media that a player you signed and penciled in as "#2" just doesn't have what it takes and is never going to improve.

If your judgement is so bad that you confide in a member of the media "off the record" who then babbles it to his media buddy in front of a microphone, that's even worse.

It's one thing for reporters to find something out, but for the GM to say something like that outside the facility, to someone who doesn't evaluate talent or coach for the Bills....Whew.

I am highly skeptical because the Bills under Beane have a reputation as a "deep well", where scouts and NFL insiders say you just don't hear anything until it's happening.  and that starts at the top, with Beane.

It seems very out of character and out of keeping with the way the Bills seem to run things.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.