Has anyone checked on Louis Riddick? (Trey Lance news...)

eball

Last August Louis Riddick of ESPN said Trey Lance "is my long shot for MVP," "has the ability to take the league by storm," and "could have an All-Pro, legendary type of career."

Trey Lance is now 3rd string on the 49ers behind Mr. Irrelevant and Sam Darnold.

:lol:

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, eball said:

Last August Louis Riddick of ESPN said Trey Lance "is my long shot for MVP," "has the ability to take the league by storm," and "could have an All-Pro, legendary type of career."

Trey Lance is now 3rd string on the 49ers behind Mr. Irrelevant and Sam Darnold.

:lol:

Yikes.  Is he better than the two headed monster of Kyle Allen and Matt Borkley?

4 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Ok but how can we swing a trade to make him QB2?

I would Iove this. Dude just hasn’t played. It’s preseason and who cares but he has been showing some signs. Couldn’t think of a better guy for him to learn under than Allen. 

I bet a 5th would get it done. Then keep one of the vets as insurance. 

Just now, dorquemada said:

Yikes.  Is he better than the two headed monster of Kyle Allen and Matt Borkley?

Riddick also called Mahomes before he blew up. He’s about as good as there is at this. Definitely went big on Lance and wasn’t right. Go big or go home. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I would Iove this. Dude just hasn’t played. It’s preseason and who cares but he has been showing some signs. Couldn’t think of a better guy for him to learn under than Allen. 

yeah  but that 5th would probably turn into a 190lb linebacker or 'high motor' DE.  what does your heart tell you beane will do?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Not even close to the biggest bust ever because everyone knew he had high bust potential when he was drafted. But maybe the worst draft move of all time. 

3 first round picks and a third round pick for a guy who played like 5 football games ever prior to the draft. 

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Ok but how can we swing a trade to make him QB2?

Would love him as QB2. Very similar skill set to Josh. Not saying he’s Josh or as good as Josh. Josh is a unicorn. That said, Lance could benefit a lot from being his understudy. 

That said, I see some other QB starved or uncertain organization taking a swing before Beane does. A team like the Vikings makes a lot of sense. Sit a year behind Cousins. Could be wrong, but I think Lance may even be from Minnesota. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Happened to watch him on NFL Network yesterday.   I wouldn't touch him. 

First, his hometown announcers said that as long as he stays on script, he's very good.   Once he needs to create, he's a real problem. 

Second, he has no touch.  Every throw is a rocket.   Pretty accurate, but on long balls he's still throwing it on a line, and his receivers have little chance to make plays on the ball.  

Still, on the last two possessions against the Broncos, he had an impressive TD drive to get them close, then another nice drive for the winning field goal.  

Bills don't need a project.    

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah I was watching 49ers game last night and Lance actually looked pretty good (of course qualifying air quotes "against the threes")  There is talent there

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

First, his hometown announcers said that as long as he stays on script, he's very good.   Once he needs to create, he's a real problem. 

Second, he has no touch.  Every throw is a rocket.   Pretty accurate, but on long balls he's still throwing it on a line, and his receivers have little chance to make plays on the ball.  

Still, on the last two possessions against the Broncos, he had an impressive TD drive to get them close, then another nice drive for the winning field goal.  

Allen was a project and this is for backup. Lance, as inexperienced as he is, has a 5 td to 3 int with 85 qb rating. That’s better than the 2 “experienced” guys we currently (Barkley has a career 66.6 qb rating!!!).

put me in the camp of guy Shanahan liked who is super experienced over 2 known sucky (but nice guys).  

14 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I bet a 5th would get it done. Then keep one of the vets as insurance. 

Riddick also called Mahomes before he blew up. He’s about as good as there is at this. Definitely went big on Lance and wasn’t right. Go big or go home. 

Agree 100 percent with all of this. Lance just hasn't played. Maybe he's a bust given his draft slot, but he's also very gifted and would be a huge upgrade for the Bills at backup. If I'm Tampa Bay, though, I'm looking hard at him. 

8 minutes ago, Process said:

Makes zero sense for the Bills. We have our QB for the next 10 years. We don't need a guy to develop. We need a solid vet behind JA that is ready to step in and win a game or two of needed. 

Lance is clearly not ready to play NFL football. He needs to go to a team not in win now mode, that needs a long term QB and wants to take a chance on developing him. 

I do agree that is best for Lance. I definitely think one of the issues for nfl qbs is there is almost zero way to develop them unless you just start them. 

imagine if nfl teams could use the xfl to develop project qbs that on current nfl rosters. 

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

He is a far better option than what the Bills currently have. And given his arm, he could actually operate in the Bills system, which pushes the ball down the field a lot. He just needs experience.

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.