Has anyone checked on Louis Riddick? (Trey Lance news...)

eball

I look at this way.  If Josh Allen is injured for a game or two, it's fine that the backup is a game manager.  Depending on who the opponent is, the backup could still lead this strong team to wins.  But if Josh Allen is injured for a lot of games or for the year, the Bills are cooked.  In this case, it's better to have a project with talent to grow, who will spend the rest of the season learning to play QB.  Maybe that guy remains the Bills' backup until his rookie contract runs out, or if he looks really good the Bills can trade him for more than they paid for him.  

The 49ers gave up a ridiculous amount to draft Lance and it will be hard for their brass to swallow giving him up for cheap.  But if they think Darnold is a better backup that says right there that they missed this one badly.

11 hours ago, Blank Stare said:

Would love him as QB2. Very similar skill set to Josh. Not saying he’s Josh or as good as Josh. Josh is a unicorn. That said, Lance could benefit a lot from being his understudy. 

Would rather he be on practice squad with Bills option to keep after season.  

Practice squad players can be protected and if another team is willing to offer before 53 man rosters are established so be it.

Too much risk with him being on 53 man roster and certainly not experience to be QB2.

5 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

You're missing those roster bonuses-those are the killers in the contract.  Take a look at the attachment earlier in this thread that shows how much money he's owed the next 2 years & get back to us.  

Then what?  Pay him his big roster bonus next year & accept his 5th year option without seeing him play?  The guy has no future with his present contract.  The best chance he has to succeed is being released by SF & signing a team friendly 2-3 year deal as a free agent.  

I did look at the contract and there might be teams willing to make that investment. My response was aimed at those who didn't understand that most of the money was SIGNING bonus. I'm personally not that interested in Lance but if he had won the QB2 gig; would DARNOLD have made sense for the Bills?

13 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Riddick has been pretty complimentary of Allen in the past few years. He's a Bills fan because of his brother.

Really?  I must have missed that.  Never struck me as a fan of the Bills whatsoever.

7 hours ago, ticketssince61 said:

Why would we trade a draft pick for a young, unproven, untested QB who would come in right before the season and be totally unfamiliar with the playbook.

Because TL would be perfect for one of 2024's Fisher Price Little People Buffalo Bills. 😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

7 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I haven’t seen the guy play much, for obvious reasons, but it’s unfortunate how his shot played out. Now he will burn through 3 systems in 3 years bouncing around the league as a backup fighting to start on terrible teams, right?

Agreed that he hasn't had much of a chance with Purdy locking up their starting position when given the chance. 

As for bouncing around, if he lands on a team with a shaky starter situation, he can put in the hard work and be ready when called upon. Too early to say he will become a journeyman without getting significant playing time . He is one who can truly be said to have had an unfortunate sequence of events (for himself)

57 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I hope people aren’t talking about trading for this guy he just can’t play and against a defense with a pulse looks like he belongs in the XFL. 

How can you make that assessment? Dude hasn't had a real chance to play and grow

8 hours ago, Utah John said:

But if they think Darnold is a better backup that says right there that they missed this one badly.

Purdy was so good last year - and the team was so close to a Super Bowl with him at QB - that it would have been foolish to start all over again with Lance at QB. And if you're going with Purdy at QB, Darnold as backup means you keep running the same offense. And I have a weird feeling that Darnold will get some starts this year and that with that offense he'll suddenly look more like Purdy 2022 than Darnold 2017-21.

Lance was going to be a totally different type of QB. We still have no idea whether he could do it. He's a good low cost/high ceiling lottery ticket for some QB deficient team.

I gotta give credit to the Niners brass for ignoring the sunk cost and moving on.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Agreed that he hasn't had much of a chance with Purdy locking up their starting position when given the chance. 

As for bouncing around, if he lands on a team with a shaky starter situation, he can put in the hard work and be ready when called upon. Too early to say he will become a journeyman without getting significant playing time . He is one who can truly be said to have had an unfortunate sequence of events (for himself)

How can you make that assessment? Dude hasn't had a real chance to play and grow

The 49ers who are as well run an organization as there is in the league and have one of the best QB coaches in Brian Griese and One of the best Offensive Minds in Kyle Shannahan believe a guy who was a bust with the Jets and Panthers and Mr Irrelevant are better QBs.
I don’t need anymore proof. 
For every Josh Allen there are 5 Blake Bortles it happens they missed they moved on. 

11 hours ago, ticketssince61 said:

Why would we trade a draft pick for a young, unproven, untested QB who would come in right before the season and be totally unfamiliar with the playbook.

That draft pick we give up could be a MLB or OT

They don't look good, but bottom line is we are most likely going w/ Barkley and Kyle Allen as our backup QB's

If we think we can coach him up I be interested. Be great to have a backup with similar skills etc as Josh, barkeley and allen are nothing like 17, we completely change the offense. he'd be great for scout team offense.

And again if you can coach him up, find a way to showcase him, could lead to a nice trade package.

There's a lot of ifs there, but if he's available cheap, there should be interest from us

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, eball said:

Really?  I must have missed that.  Never struck me as a fan of the Bills whatsoever.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/17/espns-louis-riddick-thinks-mahomes-will-set-the-league-on-fire-in-2018/

none of these dudes are perfect but he’s one of the best. Makes some bold predictions, win some, lose some. 

6 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

I did look at the contract and there might be teams willing to make that investment. My response was aimed at those who didn't understand that most of the money was SIGNING bonus. I'm personally not that interested in Lance but if he had won the QB2 gig; would DARNOLD have made sense for the Bills?

Darnold would have made a lot more sense than Lance because the Bills could sign him to a reasonable 1 year contract (assuming a SF release), not owing Lance $3.7 + million this year & 5.3 million next year.  Also, even though he hasn't been very good, Darnold is a much better fit for the Bills than Lance, who is basically a clean slate that would appeal to team that rated him highly in 2021 and needs to develop a QB.  Teams like Tampa, Las Vegas or the Rams would be better fits, but I still think the only way Lance gets traded is if SF eats those roster bonuses.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.