MLB - When, Who, How, and Why Not

ngbills

18 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I will never understand how you can lose a MLB to free agency that was completely expected then have no clear replacement entering training camp. 

This would be ok on a rebuilding team but not on SB contender

Brandon Beane knew before last season Edmunds was gone..

It appears Matt Milano is moving to MLB 

We had 4 guys in competition for the job, Dodson, Spector, Klein and Bernard. Seriously team lose players all the time in UFA and can't always sign big name UFAs to replace them.  Look at the Bengals who lost their 2 starting Safeties. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Why are we worried about MLB? Apparently Edmunds sucked and he was able to captain an elite defense for multiple years. So we should be just fine with another sucky MLB, right?

Seriously. All season Edmunds was mostly trashed on here.  Let’s see. 

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

MLB is not just a position of concern though. CB is a position of concern. LT and RT are positions of concern. We don't necessarily have ideal starters at those roles but they are starting caliber players. MLB on the other hand is a gaping hole without even a known replacement level player. I don't know of any other contender that has that kind of vulnerability at a full time starting position.

It's this exactly. If you can get me to "we have a below average backup in a starter's role" I promise I'll be less worried 😂

16 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Why are we worried about MLB? Apparently Edmunds sucked and he was able to captain an elite defense for multiple years. So we should be just fine with another sucky MLB, right?

I think Edmunds sucked, but I never made the claim Dodson/Bernard/Spector were better. For all of his faults, at least Edmunds is an NFL talent. I can't say that of the latter group with certainty.

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It's this exactly. If you can get me to "we have a below average backup in a starter's role" I promise I'll be less worried 😂

How about we have two undersized young players, one that is currently injured, that have shown no ability to play in an NFL game. A career back up that likely should not be on an NFL roster. And an UDFA that has been essentially a practice squad talent that is the current starter, yet was playing with 3rd/4th stringers last preseason game. Oh and we just signed some random USFL guy that weighs a buck 25. Does that make you feel better? Good news is Rashaan Evans and Javon Brown are still unsigned, bad news is we likely dont make a move. 

19 hours ago, ngbills said:

It’s hard to understand the lack of action bringing in an MLB. We have brought in random RB and OL just to make a few. We clearly have lack of talent and depth at MLB but what has this team done? Are we waiting for cuts? Some believe the starting MLB is not even on this roster right now. 

1. Dodson

2. AJ Klein

3. Bernard is not even in the discussion. Did he grow 4" and put on 20 pounds this offseason? Nope, probably not. 

• Disagree 1

28 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

MLB is not just a position of concern though. CB is a position of concern. LT and RT are positions of concern. We don't necessarily have ideal starters at those roles but they are starting caliber players. MLB on the other hand is a gaping hole without even a known replacement level player. I don't know of any other contender that has that kind of vulnerability at a full time starting position.

Especially when you consider the pure # of snaps they need to replace. It’s not like your CB2 who could rotate in or DT who is playing on a rotational level.

Edmunds was a 100% snap player. That’s a ton of burn to expose to liabilities. 

37 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

We had 4 guys in competition for the job, Dodson, Spector, Klein and Bernard. Seriously team lose players all the time in UFA and can't always sign big name UFAs to replace them.  Look at the Bengals who lost their 2 starting Safeties. 

And Bengals replaced them with the 2022 1st round draft pick and a free agent that started and played every snap the season before. 

51 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

The window is closing, if you need to give up a #1 than now is the time

17 hours ago, gobills404 said:

all the Edmunds haters are pretty quiet now!

56 minutes ago, ngbills said:

How about we have two undersized young players, one that is currently injured, that have shown no ability to play in an NFL game. A career back up that likely should not be on an NFL roster. And an UDFA that has been essentially a practice squad talent that is the current starter, yet was playing with 3rd/4th stringers last preseason game. Oh and we just signed some random USFL guy that weighs a buck 25. Does that make you feel better? Good news is Rashaan Evans and Javon Brown are still unsigned, bad news is we likely dont make a move. 

Neither Evans or Brown get me there either. Brown is a WILL and Evans while he is a 3-4 MLB has never played 4-3 MLB. Maybe if we had signed him in April or May.... but to pick him up now and expect him to slot right in? Nah. That wouldn't settle my nerves either.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

This is over the top panic.  Klein + Rapp situationally until Williams is ready.  McD needs to use schemes that make this work.

Seems like just yesterday 80% of the board was all for transferring assets from the defense over to offense.  Of course now when it is being implemented the nervous nellies and McBeane haters are quick to forget. 

1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

This is over the top panic.  Klein + Rapp situationally until Williams is ready.  McD needs to use schemes that make this work.

Seems like just yesterday 80% of the board was all for transferring assets from the defense over to offense.  Of course now when it is being implemented the nervous nellies and McBeane haters are quick to forget. 

Wagner, David and others could have been had for ~$5M. We are not talking some amount that would mean not having guys on O. We gave this money to Klein, Dodson, Mata, etc. We gave Floyd $7M. We could have easily found the $5M for an upgrade from Klein and co.

Edited by ngbills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.