MLB - When, Who, How, and Why Not

ngbills

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

Wagner, David and others could have been had for ~$5M. We are not talking some amount that would mean not having guys on O. We gave this money to Klein, Dodson, Mata, etc. We gave Floyd $7M. We could have easily found the $5M for an upgrade from Klein and co.

It's about choices.  It seems that the FO has a plan that RBs and the new MLB will not be paid big bucks.  DL is entirely different (and extremely important).

I agree with the FO and would prefer they figure out the MLB problem with the current roster and McD scheming.  My hope is they spend the remaining money on upgrading WR2.

On 8/21/2023 at 7:03 PM, ngbills said:

It’s hard to understand the lack of action bringing in an MLB. We have brought in random RB and OL just to make a few. We clearly have lack of talent and depth at MLB but what has this team done? Are we waiting for cuts? Some believe the starting MLB is not even on this roster right now. 

The starting MLB is here. They aren't going to trade for or sign a guy and then just throw him straight into the Regular season without having had time with the playbook or working with the Defense.

Anyone who is cut or is available for Trade is not going to be of a talent level that will trump the talent level plus time in McDermott's Defense that Klein, Bernard, or Dodson has, in their eyes.

We're talking about a coach who felt a RB we traded for midseason still needed more time with the playbook as a reasoning to not play him months after the move. And RB is the EASIEST position to transition from team to team in play.

MLB is one of the hardest. Especially in a complex McDermott defense. Anyone who honestly thinks he's going to plug and play a guy there over the guys who have been in house are just setting themselves up for disappointment.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

A Buffalo Rumblings article is wondering if Rashaan Evans or Jarrad Davis, former first round picks, might be candidates to bring in and bolster the linebacking position.  Evans played weak outside linebacker in the pros, but was a middle linebacker in college.  Davis has played middle linebacker and SAM in the pros.

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

This depends… if it’s so bad they’ll have no choice… unless you really think they’ll be fine/accept piss poor MLB play the entirety of the season? 

Maybe if it's so absolutely piss poor, they try and make a deal at the deadline. But I don't see any way that someone's going to be released or available for Trade that they feel will be so much of an upgrade over who we have that they'll play them learning the Defense on the fly. Especially at a position that is essentially QB of the Defense.

As bad as things may have looked in Camp or in the 1 Pre-Season game that mattered, the most panic move they'll make is starting AJ Klein. He represents the fall back option they decided on had Bernard or Dodson not stepped up. 

It seems they may have broken that glass already with Dodson being pulled after the first series in favor of him. If they do make a move, it's going to be a while before they play that person.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. But there's just no way McDermott is going to start the season with a guy calling plays on Defense who is learning the Playbook on the fly.

49 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Maybe if it's so absolutely piss poor, they try and make a deal at the deadline. But I don't see any way that someone's going to be released or available for Trade that they feel will be so much of an upgrade over who we have that they'll play them learning the Defense on the fly. Especially at a position that is essentially QB of the Defense.

As bad as things may have looked in Camp or in the 1 Pre-Season game that mattered, the most panic move they'll make is starting AJ Klein. He represents the fall back option they decided on had Bernard or Dodson not stepped up. 

It seems they may have broken that glass already with Dodson being pulled after the first series in favor of him. If they do make a move, it's going to be a while before they play that person.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. But there's just no way McDermott is going to start the season with a guy calling plays on Defense who is learning the Playbook on the fly.

Are they trying to set some sort of record by having the highest number of players over the age of 30 play on defense in a single season?  

On 8/21/2023 at 7:27 PM, HOUSE said:

I will never understand how you can lose a MLB to free agency that was completely expected then have no clear replacement entering training camp. 

This would be ok on a rebuilding team but not on SB contender

Brandon Beane knew before last season Edmunds was gone..

It appears Matt Milano is moving to MLB 

It is disheartening.. was obvious The minute they extended Milano 

5 hours ago, ngbills said:

Wagner, David and others could have been had for ~$5M. We are not talking some amount that would mean not having guys on O. We gave this money to Klein, Dodson, Mata, etc. We gave Floyd $7M. We could have easily found the $5M for an upgrade from Klein and co.

Both of those guys signed for $7 million. David signed with the only team he had ever played for and Wagner had never been off the west coast. Both those guys have discounts in these deals. So to sign either one you’re probably looking at $9-10 million at the very least (my guess is probably more). There was never a shot at signing either one 

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Sounds like a McDermott problem.

A leopard doesn't change it's spots. Again, he felt a veteran RB didn't have enough time with the playbook after a few weeks. The easiest position to transition. Do you really think he's going to play a MLB who has to play call his complex Defense while learning the playbook over guys who have multiple years and the Offseason with the team?

Trust me, I don't like what we have either. But we're where we are in part because he puts an intense value on continuity and experience in his system. Why do you think AJ Klein was brought back instead of another LB'er in FA that's still out there now?

The plan has always been to evaluate Terrel Bernard and Tyrel Dodson this season and see if they have something there and reevaluate next season if things don't work out. Questionable, especially now, if that's the right call or not. It's going to take more than a Questionable Camp and Pre-Season for them to shift gears, as I see it.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Sounds like a McDermott problem.

That’s not a McDermott problem, it’s an NFL defense problem. Because of where they’re situated on the field, MLBs are typically the players making the calls out there. They don’t have to be rocket surgeons, but they do have to have a command of the defensive schemes. For that reason, I agree with Greg Cosell, who argues that because McDermott trusts him, Klein will be the starting MLB but that Dorian Williams will take over at some point once he finally gets situated. He’s more talented than all of the others. Klein is a mediocre player with physical liabilities, but he at least can line people up properly and also put himself in the right position. 

8 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

Both of those guys signed for $7 million. David signed with the only team he had ever played for and Wagner had never been off the west coast. Both those guys have discounts in these deals. So to sign either one you’re probably looking at $9-10 million at the very least (my guess is probably more). There was never a shot at signing either one 

The Bills allegedly offered David more than Tampa. I don't think that was ever about the money. Who knows on Wagner, but I still consider it unlikely that this scenario  was "Plan A". 

14 hours ago, ngbills said:

You mean the one that gave up the 4th fewest rushing yards in the league?

Yup, 4th fewest total rush yards and 11th Y/A last year with one less game played than everyone else other than Cin with games of 

162 vs Bal

208 vs GB

174 vs NYJ

147 vs Min

188 vs Mia

107 vs NE

172 vs Cin

Boy were they good with Edmunds, look at that. Will be so so hard for someone to fill those shoes, please!

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The Bills allegedly offered David more than Tampa. I don't think that was ever about the money. Who knows on Wagner, but I still consider it unlikely that this scenario  was "Plan A". 

Maybe plan A was Jack Campbell. Didn’t work out and we are where we are.

I think their are a few things that are self evident with the LB situation :

1) This team values speed and agility over size and physicality. McBeane has said repeatedly they want 2 match up LBers. That’s 2 Matt Milano’s. These guys are smaller in weight, but historically it’s not the size of the LB that dictates how physical they are. The reason the Bills didn’t go after one of the big name LBers is their declining athleticism and price tag. Any LBer incoming LB isn't either an above-average  to elite athlete or doesn’t know this defense exceptionally well won’t be looked at.

2) They have spent the last 4 years with Dodson behind the scenes, things we don’t see (which means they know him as a person and player better than we do) and they thought he’d be further along mentally, as well as a better leader and communicator. Dodson was likely never expected to be the long term answer, but he should (on paper) be able to hold the job down for a year. 

28 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Still glad we didnt pay edmunds sorry but price tag not worth it and cant wait to see what chicago fans think

I think there is a chance eventually he will be, but yes ultimately I’m glad they didn’t pay him. 

Instincts are developed through playing, players aren’t born with them; so it’ll be interesting to see how fast he picks up the Bears defense since it took him a while to get ours down. 

I don't think the Bills will run *a lot* of the two linebacker sets we're accustomed to seeing.  I think the Bills know that position is vulnerable, so you'll see a lot more of the 3 safety look on defense.   I think Taylor Rapp and Siran Neal are going to get a lot of playing time this year.   

I find it interesting that there is always a thought of "we will just scheme" are way out of a weakness. It reminds me of no free lunch. Yes, you can scheme around weaknesses. But it does not come with out a cost. Either you are doing something and accepting you are now more vulnerable to xyz. Or you are doing something that now limits what you can do. For example, if we are weak over the middle maybe we need our edge to bump the TE rather than go straight for the QB. or you need the edge to take more holding the edge responsibilities. Will our DT need to run more two gap? So now your pass rush has limitations. Its like we saw last year to cover up for OL play we took the TE or RB out of the passing game. Nothing is free. Cant just say we will scheme this thing up and it wont have an impact. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.